News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance Color Restoration Patch  (Read 21653 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Novalia Spirit

To accommodate for the undersized, relatively dark monitor of the Game Boy Advance, a variety of colors in Final Fantasy VI Advance exhibit a higher degree of saturation than that of the earlier versions. Consequently, the graphics generally appear brighter, and certain colors diverge significantly from their original specifications. As such, the purpose of this patch, which supports all three versions, is to restore the colors to their former state.

A more detailed description is contained within the document bundled with the release. In addition, a collection of images designed to provide a basis for comparison can be found at my site.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/)

Novalia Spirit

• View Profile
    • Fridgia Nova
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance Color Restoration Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »
For the full description, without user-imposed line breaks, refer to the following topic:

http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=959
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:49:07 pm by Novalia Spirit »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »
Oh, finally! Thanks, Novalia Spirit! If I was a woman, I'd bear your child! :D
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:02 pm »
Apparently it blends well with my sound restoration hack  :)

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:30 pm »
*sigh* If you only I found a good ROM for enjoy that hack. All the ones I've tried so far crash at some point... :(

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:51 am »
You haven't applied it on the European (E) ROM, have you ?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:18:05 am »
That it does! :thumbsup: My only complaint left with any of this is a very, very minor one: the menu wallpapers still have inconsistent brightness between the main menu, the battle screen and the dialogue boxes. But seeing as though there's a workaround for this*, it's something that doesn't even need to be addressed.

* Choose wallpaper type 5 and edit it under "Window Colors." Start in the first box with red set to 0, green set to 10 and blue set to 16. Subtract 1 from green and blue levels until you get to the very last box. Red and green are both set to 0, and blue is set to 1--this is so the in between doesn't clash with the rest of the scheme when it's lightened drastically in battles.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:56:59 pm »
You haven't applied it on the European (E) ROM, have you ?
Actually, yeah I have. The game doesn't even start up if you use the (U) rom  :P

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:42:49 am »
Mah it's terrible I can't belive this ! I tested it for hours under both emulation and real hardware and never encountered any problem.
I also compared my own dump to one found on the Internet and they matched.

The problem should have come when you applied the patch. What patcher did you use ?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:41 pm »
Between this and the Sound Restoration patch, there doesn't seem to be any point to opening up my sealed copy of the game anymore.  I might as well just sell it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:15:13 pm »
So this is a band aid fix for an emulation issue that hasn't been dealt with yet? Has the GBA emulation scene hit a wall or something?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:54:05 pm by tomaitheous »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »
So this is a band aid fix for an emulation issue that hasn't been dealt with yet? Has the GBA emulation scene hit a wall or something?
What gave you that idea?  The game's palette was intentionally altered from the SNES original to accommodate the GBA's darker screen, an accommodation that is wholly unnecessary if you are using a DS Lite or a GBA SP 2.0.  There are already similar hacks in the database for the Super Mario Advance games.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »
Mah it's terrible I can't belive this ! I tested it for hours under both emulation and real hardware and never encountered any problem.
I also compared my own dump to one found on the Internet and they matched.

The problem should have come when you applied the patch. What patcher did you use ?
Ninja. I tried it again just now with Lunar IPS and there are no crashes. Spread the word of warning. :-\

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:21 am »
Phew I'm relieved that the problem was not my patch.  :beer:
I guess the problem is that my patch is very large and use full 24-bit pointers so that might have caused some problem with some patchers... Back then I hesitated distributing it in ups format instead but the patch weren't any smaller so I'd as well go with standard .ips (which has the advantage that some emus can "automatically" patch it without you applying the patch).

Novalia Spirit

• View Profile
    • Fridgia Nova
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »
Quote from: vivify93
That it does! :thumbsup: My only complaint left with any of this is a very, very minor one: the menu wallpapers still have inconsistent brightness between the main menu, the battle screen and the dialogue boxes. But seeing as though there's a workaround for this*, it's something that doesn't even need to be addressed.

The discrepancies essentially stem from the diverse gradient effects, a problem that is not limited to the wallpapers. I briefly attempted to address this issue before releasing the patch, but failed to locate the relevant code and data in the handheld editions. Considering that a corrective measure would be released in the form of a supplementary patch, as certain liberties ought to be taken in the process, I didn't feel the urgency.

Quote from: Jorpho
What gave you that idea?  The game's palette was intentionally altered from the SNES original to accommodate the GBA's darker screen, an accommodation that is wholly unnecessary if you are using a DS Lite or a GBA SP 2.0.

Not to mention the Game Boy Player, which allows the game to be played through the GameCube. In any event, considering that at least half of the colors remained unchanged, it is safe to assume that emulation accuracy is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Furthermore, the manner in which the colors have been altered varies from element to element, and the level of brightness is certainly not responsible for the various instances of discoloration, such as that of the overworld version of Figaro Castle.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 08:40:51 pm »
What gave you that idea?  The game's palette was intentionally altered from the SNES original to accommodate the GBA's darker screen, an accommodation that is wholly unnecessary if you are using a DS Lite or a GBA SP 2.0.  There are already similar hacks in the database for the Super Mario Advance games.

Well... previous games, like the SMA games you mentioned, is where I got that idea from. Now that you mention it, I do remember something about certain later model SP screens being better. But the original GBA was the core system. And games released on it specifically were design around the output color range of the system (or should have been, but there will always be incorrect PAR or color space conversions in developed games). And if that's drastically different from what is being seen on emulation, well... then there you go. There was also an issue with Gameboy Color systems vs GBA playing Gameboy Color (even some emulators have 'real colors' option for Gameboy Color). But now I can see it's more than just an emulation problem. So the answer to my question than is a simple; No, because there's a discrepancy between a range of GBA backwards compatible devices and even later parent/base model output differences. This patch fixes it for those devices.

In any event, considering that at least half of the colors remained unchanged, it is safe to assume that emulation accuracy is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand.

I think the only safe assumption from that information, is that they only thought certain parts or colors were relevant and worth changing... which implies a certain level of laziness on their part  ;D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »
GBA SP systems released after the GB Micro had a noticeably brighter screen.
I think it is all pale blue and pink systems, not sure about black. (identified by a "NEW BRIGHTER SCREEN" indication on the box or model number AGS-101 on the system label on the bottom, compared to AGS-001 for original SPs)
Unfortunately, I think the screen is TOO bright for original GB games (it makes the GBC's high-contrast default GB palette almost blinding.) :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018