News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating Titles  (Read 12563 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translating Titles
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 05:59:42 pm »
I actually thought of something similar. The crystal palace is a term that was kind of made up for the game. It's actually called the heavenly realm and I was thinking of Conquest of the Heavenly Realm.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 11:44:29 pm »
If the game already has a strong Eastern theme, which is what it looks like from the title screen, I'd just leave it as "Maten Douji" or "Maten Doji" or some such. You could use the little furigana scroll on the lower right to spell out "Maten Douji" in English, or if you want to go the extra mile, you could whip up a proper "Maten Douji" logo to replace the kanji, and maybe use the scroll for a suitable subtitle. Like, say, "Conquest of the Crystal Palace"? :3

No offense, but I think it's a mistake to transliterate the title. Transliteration only carries over the form of the title, but it leaves behind the meaning. The title is a pun, which we all know can rarely be translated (and still have the same effect), but still, I think it's possible to render it somewhat faithfully.

The title 魔天童子 is a play on the main character's name, 天童 ("heavenly/angelic child"). The title literally means "demon-angel child". AFAIK 魔天 is short for 悪魔と天使, which means "demon(s) and angel(s)"; 童子 means "child". He has to climb a mountain called 魔天山.

I'd suggest something like "Tendou: the Angelic Child vs. the Demonic Mountain". At the very least, I'd use the main character's name as the main title of the game.

HTH
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:49:26 am by Paul Jensen »
Sign THIS!

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 02:31:14 am »
The title 魔天童子 is a play on the main character's name, 天童 ("heavenly/angelic child"). The title literally means "demon-angel child". AFAIK 魔天 is short for 悪魔と天使, which means "demon(s) and angel(s)"; 童子 means "child". He has to climb a mountain called 魔天山.

I'd suggest something like "Tendou: the Angelic Child vs. the Demonic Mountain". At the very least, I'd use the main character's name as the main title of the game.

I had originally suggested to Pennywise that the title be transliterated, just because it is a pun and there are several different ways to translate it. Ryusui's comment about the title being word salad in English is pretty accurate as well.

Also, 魔天山 is only the first stage in the game. The plot is basically Tendou going through the Heavenly Realm and Hades to defeat the evil King Kaimei. I could dig a title like "Tendou: Heavenly Child" or something similar. I can't think of a way to fit in 魔 though.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 02:38:03 am by Eien Ni Hen »
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »
I got another game that I would like some opinions on translating.

I believe most would render it as something China Wars, but I was told that Taisen could in fact refer to the rank of our fireball shooting, cloud riding friend. In fact the ending seems to use the title to refer to him.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:31 pm »
It does. The final kanji is 仙 ("hermit, wizard"), not 戦 ("battle").
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

PotatoSpud

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 12:56:10 pm »
A thought occured to me the other day about translating titles of games, movies, etc. from Japanese. It seems to me that a lot of people have been getting things backwards and mistakenly putting subtitles before titles.

I'm just starting out, and I have ALREADY experienced this! The title I was working with was supposed to be read from right to left(starting with the title, and ending with the subtitle) but I began translating it from left to right, which had everything backwards. Thankfully, I acknowledged my mistake and I now know how the title should be read and pronounced.

As for why some people leave weird-sounding translations(in English anyways), I really don't know. The moment I heard something like "Robot Fighting Extreme" I would immediately have it localized to "Extreme Robot Fighting". The former just sounds weird to me.

bobonga

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
Square is the king of that. Dirge of Cerberus Final Fantasy VII, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy, etc. Note the lack of colon too.