News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help needed with Japanese sentence.  (Read 4115 times)

PotatoSpud

• View Profile
Help needed with Japanese sentence.
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »
It's one sentence from a GBC game(An RPG) that I need translated. It's coming from a male character on what looks to be a dramatic television show that the player is watching, and it is literally the first line of dialogue spoken in the game. The character in the show seems surprised or shocked and he says:

"Hatashite koehanno ranmeiha ikani!?" in English and his speech looks like this in Kana:

"はたして コエはんの
ラんめいは いかに!?"

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
Re: Help needed with Japanese sentence.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »
I'm assuming it's supposed to be うんめい rather than ラんめい. If so, then something along the lines of, "What will become of Koe-han!?" or "What will Koe-han's fate be!?"

Also assuming that コエはん is right, it could be a couple different things, but most likely the "han" is just a dialect version of "-san", and can probably be dropped.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »
Are you sure it's not ウんめい instead of ラんめい? ウんめい (運命) would make more sense given the context. If it's actually ウんめい, the sentence would translate to:

What will happen to Koe in the end? (Tune in again next week to find out!)
(Literally: "What will Koe's fate be in the end?")

As far as I can tell the はん suffix on コエ is either Kyoto dialect for, or just a silly way of saying さん.

HTH
Sign THIS!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:22:55 am »
Might want to double-check your table, man. If you've got a katakana ラ stuck in the middle of your hiragana, there are probably other problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana

Wiki's got a chart showing roughly what order the symbols should be in.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

PotatoSpud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:54 am »
Might want to double-check your table, man. If you've got a katakana ラ stuck in the middle of your hiragana, there are probably other problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana

Wiki's got a chart showing roughly what order the symbols should be in.

I don't think it's my table. The game has this weird mixture of katakana and hiragana by itself, without any changes. Thanks for the link though, I'm sure it'll come in handy somewhere.

I'm assuming it's supposed to be うんめい rather than ラんめい. If so, then something along the lines of, "What will become of Koe-han!?" or "What will Koe-han's fate be!?"

Also assuming that コエはん is right, it could be a couple different things, but most likely the "han" is just a dialect version of "-san", and can probably be dropped.

Thanks! That sounds about right. Oh, and the name is supposed to be "Goe-mon". Sorry I didn't state which game I was working with in my opening post, I didn't want to get anyone excited thinking I was actually going to be translating this game. Heck, I just started. :)

mz

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:03:48 am »
I don't think it's my table.
I think Ryusui is right, you're mistaking this katakana: (ra) for this hiragana: (u).

Also, it should be ゴ instead of コ:

PotatoSpud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
Ahhh, I see. I thought it might have been the hiragana for u(う) at first, but it looked a little too "bent" to be the same character. Guess I was wrong.

Also, my Kana chart doesn't have the character for katakana "go" so it looks like I need a more reliable one.

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:39 am »
I know when I saw コエ and all the osaka/kansai/whatever speech that it was probably Ebisumaru :D Nice to see one of the more obscure titles in that series getting some attention.
Currently working on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translation

Rappa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:17:30 am »
ゴエはん is ゴエさん

In some dielect, like Aomori, san is pronounced as han