News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Nature [Demo (updated 7/24/11) Released]  (Read 21026 times)

Lin

• View Profile
Watch the Demo Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_t9coGfYY
Download Demo with Content up to the end of Level 3 (updated 7/24/11, a second time): http://www.mediafire.com/?aucd55tpywdldgw

Greetings. First off, let me start with I didn't merge this with my ZOLE Live topic for multiple reasons: It's on the second page (I know that sounds bad, but I meant it in the sense that it's rather old), I prefer a fresh topic and specific feedback, this project doesn't only belong to me (If I didn't post it my friend would have), and it's of a totally different hacking genre.

So, obviously this is a Zelda Oracle of Ages hack. I partnered up with my friend Fatories, and we decided to make a full-on 8 dungeon Oracles hack using ZOLE Live, to partner with the other games. I wanted to get news about it out to show the power of ZOLE and my other hacking tools for Ages, and to get it hyped up long before the release. While I wasn't working on ZOLE and he was online, we decided to make a dungeon, and then suddenly decided to make a level 2 which just blossomed into a bunch of other ideas and plans. We decided to have our dungeons themed, and also have plans for the overworld.

The overworld is pretty much the same as it is in Ages with a past and present area, but instead the "oracle of nature" was captured which brings upon natural disasters and causes the overworld to change (Yes it sounds lame but it really can be home to some pretty sweet events). For example, when you start, there is a tall mountain towering the village that will collapse, revealing a trail and tunnel to get the sword (The trail and tunnel were originally there, just on the upper part, which collapsed into the lower part, if that makes sense).

Not much of the overworld is done, but there is a video you can watch showing an intro event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaJ94_79t4

As far as dungeons go, two of them are already done. Each are themed, and meant to be hard for their level. Here are maps and videos of them:

Level 1 Arrow Crypt - Map Video (me)
Level 2 Magma Crown - Map Video (me) Video (Fatories)

No overworld screenshots yet because the overworld will be kept secret. The game won't have a moblin event or a Maku Tree, or really anything that helps with storyline. Our prime focus is a good overworld with tough and creative dungeons. Also note the game won't only consist of things edited with ZOLE. Already I've done some regular hex editing and added some original code for a level 2 event.

The post isn't too detailed, but there it is. Criticism is welcomed, as long as it's nothing complaining about the difficulty of any of the dungeons :P.

~Lin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:59:48 am by Lin »

kuja killer

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Nature
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:17:35 am »
i'll want to play it defintely for sure when you have the hack complete. :) it's always nice to try a gameboy zelda hack unlike the infinite number of NES ones.

are you the same guy who posted this thread last month with all these awesome screenshots?? :)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=6842

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »
are you the same guy who posted this thread last month with all these awesome screenshots?? :)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=6842

No he isn't, whoever that guy is he did those maps without ZOLE, and no offense to the person, but Lin and I try to ensure high quality in all of our mapping, looking out for all errors and fixing almost all of them (with the exception of a level 2 height error which actually can work, but I wont get into that, you'll see it if you are pro  ;) ). This persons maps are just bad and the tiles used do not work together graphically.

He also mentions at the bottom of his post:
Note: I no longer need to do this manually, since a guy named "Lin" makes programs to modify the Zelda Oracle games!
Meaning he is definitely not Lin, nor was ZOLE used.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:23 pm »
oh yea okay. my mistake for not noticing that right away. i didn't read through it all again when i linked to it on here last night, just copy-pasted the thread id number thingy and then came back here.

my mistake. :( but anyway yea i'll look forward to this oracle of nature for sure 100% though :)

Supreme Dirt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
Oh hey Lin, Fatories.

I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Also I am still working on Harp of the Rift, just my life is kind of a mess right now.

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »
Good to hear you are still working on your hack Supreme, hopefully your life will fix itself up soon.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:40:58 am »
A video of the overworld showing the intro event and a few maps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaJ94_79t4 Not meant to show off the maps. Quite a few were avoided. Many NPCs missing in the village and it'll look more alive in the future. You can currently get up to level 1.

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »
Lin and I have finished all overworld maps, events, scripts and other goodies up to level 2. Which means that up to and including level 2 of our hack is finished and playable :D

We will not be releasing a video at this stage but, later on as we progress and feel the need to show things off, there will be more videos. Also, we haven't discussed this matter much yet, so don't take my word on it, but it is possible we may release a demo after we complete all game play up to and including level 3.

Just a little update on the progress of our hack so far.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »
I like what I'm seeing.  I always thought the "Use Alternate Map" bit was heavily underused.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
I sat through all of the Magma Crown video (with Fatories as the narrator/ player). I am impressed so far. The puzzles are worthy of the original games- even if they weren't scripted the way they should have been.

For a level 2 boss, the boss seems to have average difficulty. Doesn't seem like it's too hard to fight, but it's not like it's a pushover thanks to those buzzsaws and the little ghosts.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »
I sat through all of the Magma Crown video (with Fatories as the narrator/ player). I am impressed so far. The puzzles are worthy of the original games- even if they weren't scripted the way they should have been.

For a level 2 boss, the boss seems to have average difficulty. Doesn't seem like it's too hard to fight, but it's not like it's a pushover thanks to those buzzsaws and the little ghosts.
Actually, most of the events were scripted properly. There were some things though that ZOSE had power to do and provide the same outcome as editing an existing table or section of data, as in doing it the "proper way". I honestly could find the data for a lot of things really easily, like the "pushable statues" puzzle but it's a waste of time when space isn't an issue and scripts can do the same (of course, only after I added conditional 3-byte jumps).

I like what I'm seeing.  I always thought the "Use Alternate Map" bit was heavily underused.
It is, but for some reason instead of only setting the map flag's bit 0, the header of the area of the swapped map's byte 6 must be 01, which means it's two areas for just one (or however many) maps.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
Interesting.  Actually I got 02 as the bit switch, but I'm sure you looked into how that works.  You know, I think this might explain how level 7 works.  If it does, level 7 should have the watery section set, though it might ignore bit 0.

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »
EDIT: The stream is finished now, thanks to the people who showed up

Lin is hosting a stream right now of Ocarina of Time starting at the forest temple, and we will be answering questions and discussing are hack. If you have questions or would just like to hang out and watch him play then come check out the stream at:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lin-s-gaming
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:58:30 am by Fatories »

Lin

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Nature [Demo Trailer Out]
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:48 am »
I made a trailer for the demo we'll be releasing in a little bit. It'll feature 3 playable dungeons and the entire overworld up to its point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_t9coGfYY

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
I saw this a little bit before you posted here--it looks really good!  Can't wait for a demo--me and my brother both ;)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
Oh man oh man oh man! A new Zelda game! :3 I can't wait either! It always felt weird that the Oracle games never had their third game (which was planned for, but difficulties in implementing a three-game system made them scrap the "Seed of Courage" game).

It looks really good and it has a Zelda vibe to it for the most part, so I'm definitely excited to play a demo of it.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:49 am »
Just about everything for the demo (3 fully playable dungeons and the adventure between them all) is done, and all that's left is a lot of testing. Level 3 took us longer than usual with a long puzzle that took a few hours of assembly coding, a past event that will make some people smile, and a bunch of other events that took more than just scripts and interactions you'll probably never see in any other hack unless it was worked on by Jigglysaint. I really want to spoil two of the events we took from other games, but I'd rather not. Instead, when you play and think of Pokemon Red and Link's Awakening, you'd be right.

Jandazekon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 03:48:30 am »
All that's left is a lot of testing.
Has you modified the music into something new music already?

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:10 am »
Has you modified the music into something new music already?

No. We have only used music from the original game. In the future we do plan to port music from seasons into the game, at least it is very likely we will. Don't quote me on that :P

Lin

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Nature [Demo Released]
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »
The demo is now available. Be sure to read the read me!

http://www.mediafire.com/?jdh1s30rgnn4t1a