News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: Genesis: A New Beginning  (Read 29689 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: Genesis: A New Beginning
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:27:24 am »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: RedComet

For years now the NES and SNES have received the most attention from hackers and translators alike leaving untranslated Genesis classics like Surging Aura and Rent A Hero to grow cold and lonely in the annals of video game history. But with the latest release of g8z et al's Gens Tracer, things are looking bright for the Genesis and the Sega CD!

If you tried out the initial release you know that, while a godsend for us hackers interested in the Genesis, it could use a little tweaking. And that's just what happened. I happened to make a few suggestions to g8z's and they ran with it. Now we've got a truly formitable tool for Genesis and Sega CD hacking.

Here's a list of features and changes since the last build:

• All hook files have now been integrated into one main file - hook_log.txt.
  • DMA and VRAM logging.
  • Memory dumping - VRAM, RAM, CRAM, SRAM, Nametables, Sprite Attribute Table, and CD Memory.
  • Layer toggling.
  • Sega CD tracing and logging.
  • Support for Sega CD save states has been added.
  • Support for logging EVERY instruction as it occurs.
  • Setting a "breakpoint" that, when executed, automatically enables tracing.

I can say from experience, this last feature is particularly useful in hunting down bugs when you're adding new code to a game.

And if that wasn't enough, g8z et al were kind enough to provide examples using two games. The first examples illustrates how to find the intro text for Golden Axe II using the tracer, while the second (and this is the really good part) illustrates the tracer's Sega CD support.

And how does it do that you might ask? Well, I've got one word for you - Shadowrun. That's right, these guys show you not only how to find the text, but they explain what's going on. Hopefully this will be the motivation someone needs to tackle this cult classic.

There you have it, in my opinion, one of the greatest things (and I'm not just saying that because I helped!) to happen to Genesis and Sega CD hacking in a long time.

Grab it here.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/utils/337/)

getter77

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: Genesis: A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 12:23:29 pm »
Awesome.  Anything that even slightly tears down the wall that makes the Genesis less tempting to work on versus the other systems is a great thing.  Seeing games like Surging Aura and Buraiden in English just got a tad more likely.

Shadowsithe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:43:03 pm »
So what alongside this would make for a complete Genesis arsenal? Mike, I'm looking at you.

Edit: For some strange reason, the rar won't open. I just get redirected to the directory it's sitting in.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 04:39:06 pm by Shadowsithe »

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:50:37 pm »
So what alongside this would make for a complete Genesis arsenal? Mike, I'm looking at you.

Edit: For some strange reason, the rar won't open. I just get redirected to the directory it's sitting in.

Did you try refreshing the page? The file opens for me so maybe the server's crapping out on you or something.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 06:16:32 pm »
File works fine for me as well.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Shadowsithe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:26 pm »
No dice. Everything else on the site seems to work fine though. Weird. I can probably chalk this up to how terrible this machine is. I'll have XP one day... one day.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »
Your OS shouldn't have anything to do with downloading the file. Are you using a firewall?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:52:43 am »
Filzip works. Y'know, if you're poor and want freeware.
Also, is it possible to choose to turn repetitious code filtering on/off?
While of course filtering is good if your routine is likely to only be called once, repetitious code can be helpful when you want to know where a variable came from (like, I think I've found the text pointer code for this game, but the reference just appears to randomly show up in the registers. ;) )
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:56:47 am by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 01:25:57 am »
Filzip works. Y'know, if you're poor and want freeware.
Also, is it possible to choose to turn repetitious code filtering on/off?
While of course filtering is good if your routine is likely to only be called once, repetitious code can be helpful when you want to know where a variable came from (like, I think I've found the text pointer code for this game, but the reference just appears to randomly show up in the registers. ;) )

If I understand what you're saying, you just need to use the trace key via / without setting any hooks to have each execution of an instruction show up once. If you want every instruction logged, you just set a hook_pc with the start address and -1 as the end, like this:

hook_pc1 1 4AC28 -1

Once 4ac28 is encountered, every instruction from there on is logged until you turn off the logger with the , key. Of course, you have to have logging turned on for this to work.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 02:54:51 am »
Fuuinsareshi Exodia. Once I've gotten Sylvanian Families out of my system, I'm gonna give this bad boy a look.

...If only I could find the freakin' ISO for Shadowrun CD...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 05:03:09 am »
Fuuinsareshi Exodia. Once I've gotten Sylvanian Families out of my system, I'm gonna give this bad boy a look.

...If only I could find the freakin' ISO for Shadowrun CD...

Edgeemu has it, but you got to donate to access it. >.>

However, I just happen to have donated a while back, and I have full access to anything they got. PM me and i can give you the pass provided you be a good boy with it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

mil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 11:34:53 am »
Just to make sure no one gets the idea that you need a pass to acquire Shadowrun for the Sega CD...

You can find it at both Romhustler and GameTronik (for free). 

However, I just happen to have donated a while back, and I have full access to anything they got. PM me and i can give you the pass provided you be a good boy with it.

That's a good offer to accept anyways.

Griever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:10 am »
wow! that's great utility and I'm dying of using it! BUT I'm complete noob with all these hook functions and with tracers based on .txt log files (it's completely different from FCEUXD tracer). I've searched, but haven't found any tutorials on these themes (and YES I've read g8z et al's two docs but didn't understand anything! :( (guess, it's for intermediate hackers) )

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 09:53:44 am »
Awesome.  Anything that even slightly tears down the wall that makes the Genesis less tempting to work on versus the other systems is a great thing.  Seeing games like Surging Aura and Buraiden in English just got a tad more likely.
Because remember: If only one hacker gets over the wall, it doesn't help everybody, you need to tear down the wall completely, so that everybody can cross.  :D

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 09:53:31 am »
It's funny that this topic resurfaced. I have been gaining interesting the Sega CD and I hope to start a project soon.

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 11:26:14 am »
When you do a trace with the / button, are the subroutines printed in the order they were executed in the trace log file?
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 02:46:46 pm »
Each instruction is the first time it occurs, but then they're omitted.

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:20:07 am »
Thats all I needed to know, thanks.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.