News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pocket Zaurus - Find the right wording  (Read 3355 times)

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
Pocket Zaurus - Find the right wording
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:17:38 pm »
The game I'm doing has a bunch of little single questions that pop up during the game and I'm struggling to find the right wording for one of them.

The question in question

ハシモトめいじんはパフパフがすきでしょうか

はい             いいえ

Hashimoto Meijin is the hero's name, so what it's asking is if he likes a bit of pafupafu. (I know I do!). Finding the right wording for this is doing my head in. Literally translated it sounds a lot dirtier in English than it does in Japanese and probably looses it's comic value、as well as that slight element of mystery.

You don't have to be a wiz at Japanese to help me with this. For those that can't speak Japanese or haven't heard of pafupafu before, it is a term that originated in the first dragon quest game. As in, you would go into a certain shop in the village and the girls there are all like "How about some pafupafu" and you are naturally all like "Aw hell yeah". I don't think it was really explained in the first game, but eventually the nerds of Japan decided it meant to put your head between a busty girls boobs and snuggle the shit out of them. Or rather pafupafu refers to the sound you make as you try to ignore oxygen for sweet, sweet boobage.

For the love of pafupafu help me out here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:29:12 pm by geishaboy »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Pocket Zaurus - Find the right wording
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
I know the English GBC versions of DQ1-3 called it a "Puff-Puff Massage" without going into further details, apart from some suggestive "dialogue" after the screen blacks out. Bowdlerization? Maybe, but you've pretty much got two choices here: spell it out, or pile on the innuendo.

FYI, I'm...fairly sure it first appeared in Dragonball. I'd need to double-check the publication dates, but in one chapter, they enlist Master Roshi's aid by offering to have Bulma flash him. When it comes time to pay up, Bulma gets the shapeshifting perv Oolong to stand in for her...and rather than a simple flashing, he offers him "puff-puff". It all goes down off screen in a single panel, but he does explain it, and it's exactly what you described.

Bottom line: just put down "puff-puff" or a "puff-puff massage" and call it a translation. Anyone familiar with Dragon Quest will recognize the reference, and those who don't...well, they're not losing out on anything anyway.

EDIT: Also, unless the title's spelled out in English already, I suggest you call it "Pocketsaurus" or something like that. "-zaurus" is the result of a quick of the Japanese language where the first syllable of the second word in a compound gets voiced.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
I know the English GBC versions of DQ1-3 called it a "Puff-Puff Massage" without going into further details, apart from some suggestive "dialogue" after the screen blacks out. Bowdlerization? Maybe, but you've pretty much got two choices here: spell it out, or pile on the innuendo.

FYI, I'm...fairly sure it first appeared in Dragonball. I'd need to double-check the publication dates, but in one chapter, they enlist Master Roshi's aid by offering to have Bulma flash him. When it comes time to pay up, Bulma gets the shapeshifting perv Oolong to stand in for her...and rather than a simple flashing, he offers him "puff-puff". It all goes down off screen in a single panel, but he does explain it, and it's exactly what you described.

Bottom line: just put down "puff-puff" or a "puff-puff massage" and call it a translation. Anyone familiar with Dragon Quest will recognize the reference, and those who don't...well, they're not losing out on anything anyway.

EDIT: Also, unless the title's spelled out in English already, I suggest you call it "Pocketsaurus" or something like that. "-zaurus" is the result of a quick of the Japanese language where the first syllable of the second word in a compound gets voiced.

That's interesting that it might of originated in the Dragonball series. Dragonball started in 84 and Dragon Quest in 86 so you are probably right.

I kind of wanted to avoid using "Puff Puff", and go with something like "snuggles", "cleavage surfing", "chest pillows" or something, I just can't seem to find the right wording. If I can't think of anything I guess I will have to go with the transliterated "Puff Puff". There is also a restriction on how much text I can actually use.

As for pocket zaurus to pocket saurus... I dunno. When you take the name of something like a title, in my experience, it's best to go all or nothing. Either keep the original Pocket Zaurus, or completely translate it to something like "Mini Dinosaurs" or "T-Rex in my Pocket" or whatever. Also, I'm pretty sure this game ties in with the line of mini dinosaur toys also called Pocket Zaurus. I will keep it in mind though, I have seen it referred to as Pocket Saurus a couple of times in my internet travels.

EDIT: I had a look on uncyclopedia and it seems that Akira Toriyama was the mastermind behind pafupafu, which makes sense as he penned Dragon Ball and did the character designs in the first Dragon Quest game

I also found this http://forest.kinokuniya.co.jp/ItemIntro/86439 I was just looking for good translation, I swear!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:39:58 am by geishaboy »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
There must have been some sort of miscommunication on my part. Go crazy with all the text you want. Well technically we've (DvD and I) been discussing what to do with the game. DvD suggested doing 6 lines of text per screen instead of the usual three and that's probably what we'll end up doing. So double the space for the maximum amount of text than the original.

BTW, highly intriguing subject this thread has. I recently watched Amacord by Fellini and something similar happened to the main character. Quite hilarious.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »
There must have been some sort of miscommunication on my part. Go crazy with all the text you want. Well technically we've (DvD and I) been discussing what to do with the game. DvD suggested doing 6 lines of text per screen instead of the usual three and that's probably what we'll end up doing. So double the space for the maximum amount of text than the original.

Oh really? Sweet. That gives me a bit more breathing space

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:39:43 am »
the term "motorboating" has been in semi-popular use for a similar face-in-titties action in recent times.  "Hashimoto Meijin likes a bit of motorboating?" can come off as a double entendre pretty easy, or maybe "likes to go motorboating".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:46:00 am by Cryomancer »
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:03:33 am »
the term "motorboating" has been in semi-popular use for a similar face-in-titties action in recent times.  "Hashimoto Meijin likes a bit of motorboating?" can come off as a double entendre pretty easy, or maybe "likes to go motorboating".

Oh now that is what I'm talking about. "motorboating" doesn't quite get the same feeling across, but it's still head and shoulders above anything I have come up with. I'm going to go ahead and use that I think, unless by some magic something better comes around. Thank you.

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »
Yeah no problem, always like the help the advancement of translations and titty jokes.
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/