Do you use a translation memory?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
6 (37.5%)
Wha-?
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Translator Survey  (Read 3594 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Translator Survey
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
I'd like to ask any interested translators on RHDN to consider filling out a survey about your translation memory usage. I'm considering what to do with my under development TM. I'd like to gauge how translators use them and what they want out of them. Please consider taking a moment to answer around 10 questions. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you use a translation memory (TM) when translating? (Y/N)

If "no" please skip to question 9.

============

1. How high is the learning curve to be productive with the TM? (1 very easy, 5 very challenging)

2. Once learned, how easy is the TM to use? (1 very easy, 5 very challenging)

3. How much does/did it cost? (please specify)

4. How satisfied are you with it? (1 very unsatisfied, 5 very satisfied)

5. What % of your translation do you do with your TM? (please specify)

6. What do you like the most about it? (please specify)

7. What do you dislike the most? (please specify)

8. Which is more important to you in a TM...

a. Ease of use? (ie. one goal done really well)

b. Customizability? (ie. many goals, many options, more complexity, more flexibility)

Skip to question 13:

============

9. Why don't you use a TM? (please specify)

10. How much would you be willing to spend on a TM that fit your needs...

a. per month? (please specify)

b. in a single payment? (please specify)

11. If you paid for a TM, would you prefer paying a lower amount per month or a higher amount in a single payment? (single/monthly)

12. Which is more important to you in a TM...

a. Ease of use? (ie. one goal done well)

b. Customizability? (ie. many goals, many options, more complexity, more flexibility)

=============

13. How much of your income (as a %) comes from translating? (please specify %)

14. What is your translation proficiency level? (1 beginner, 5 advanced)

15. How would your ideal TM help you translate? (please specify)

16. (Edit: Added one more) Would you consider contributing to a free, public TM? (think Space ALC)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:05:16 am by filler »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Translator Survey
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:11:39 am »
9. I simply haven't bothered to look into it yet. Though I use alc.co.jp frequently. >_>

10. Zero, since that's what I spend on using alc.co.jp. If I ran a translation business, I'd probably be willing to pay, but as a hobbyist (and an infrequent one at that), I could never justify the expense.

11. I'd be more likely to sign up with a TM if they had a single one-time fee rather than a monthly subscription, if that's what you're asking. But probably not much more than $50 for lifetime access.

12. Given the A/B choice, I'd say A, but considering the volume of material that alc.co.jp has for me to search through, frankly, I'd like one that already has a similar volume of pre-translated material - one I can extend for my own use.

13. 0%. The closest I have to income from translation is the pennies I get from ad revenue (less than twenty bucks from all my years at it ^_^;).

14. 3, but it depends on what I'm looking at. A complicated turn of phrase can make me feel like a 2; spotting someone else's mistake can make me feel like a 4.

15. The same way alc.co.jp helps me: run a word or a phrase through it, and out pops a sentence or sentence snippet that shows not only its meaning, but its use in context.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:58:09 am »
Do you use a translation memory (TM) when translating? (Y/N) Yes, it’s called OmegaT.

1. 1, the way I do it. I don’t use anyone else’s translations, so all it involves is to start typing.

2. 1, because again, the way I do it, you may not even realize you’re using one at first. You just sort of... start translating things and suddenly you notice the fuzzy matcher is showing lines you have previously entered.

3. $0.00, in U.S. moneys.

4. 3. I’m never all that satisfied with Java applications, but I mean, I don’t exactly pay out the nose to use it. Also, I’m not that picky, either, because I don’t translate professionally (and probably never will) and I am perennially broke-ass anyway.

5. I couldn’t say; it only applies to large, cohesive projects rather than any spot translations I do.

6. Fuzzy matching. In several projects, I have had story branches where wordings change ever so slightly; having these at a glance no matter what line I go to is awesome.

7. The speed at which things run. Between Java, and going through so much text after a while, things can slow down to an annoying pace.

8. This question doesn’t really mean anything to me.

13. I haven’t made a single dollar from translat—*checks unnamed ad service* I have made less than a dollar from translating and I haven’t seen it yet.

14. 3~4-ish, though it really depends on the arena.

15. Stay out of the way when I don’t need it, be right there when I do. Until computers can read minds like they do on Star Trek, that means the TM bits should be easy-access yet not hogging all the screen space.

16. I don’t see why not, though I imagine a fair number of my contributions would be painful to read or highly unconventional.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:15:51 pm by BRPXQZME »
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:16:43 am »
Oh man don't even get me started

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:19:57 am »
If you're gonna vote, answer the survey. :P
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:30:14 am »
Oh all right

9. Because I don't like it, don't need it and don't want it.

10. I wouldn't pay a cent

11. I wouldn't pay for it. But I am guessing that any customers you may have would prefer a one off payment

12. I duuno, both?

=============

13. This varies. At its highest translation made up around 75% of my income. Right now I'm doing charity work so it's 0%.

14. 4 or a 5. Hard to say.

15. I can't think of anything I would need TM for. Maybe remembering really obscure Kanji?

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:43 am »
I added one more question which is if you'd consider contributing translations to a free, public TM?

Thanks so much for the responses so far. :)

KungFuFurby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:12 am »
Ironically, I'm answering this myself. I do some self-translating when doing Japanese SFC games that I intend on doing some track identification when I'm doing my SPC sets.

9. No idea what translation memory is, but I usually use either OCN or WWWJDIC. I know some Japanese already.

10. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

11. Probably a single payment.

12. Hmm... not sure. Hard to determine...

13. Exactly zero percent.

14. 1 or 2.

15. If it can do some form of Kanji ID from screenshots (or I can manually draw it in using the mouse) when needed instead of having me using the Multi-radical Kanji lookup on WWWJDIC, that would be a really good thing on my end.

16. Probably not due to my lack of Japanese knowledge...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:43:05 pm by KungFuFurby »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:27 pm »
15. If it can do some form of Kanji ID from screenshots (or I can manually draw it in using the mouse) when needed instead of having me using the Multi-radical Kanji lookup on WWWJDIC, that would be a really good thing on my end.
Use this. Same data, better interface.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

KungFuFurby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:05 pm »
Thanks! ^_^