News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 52919 times)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:13 am »
Then, don't I merely was saying all forms of reflect make him a joke as he only attacks two characters other than that 1 tri element attack on the party which is not only predictable, but easily avoided.  I do not see how its cheating when it is an item you yourself left in the game both at an outlandish price in one town and the
The armor shop in Thamasa is something I don't know how we let get through. But a lot of things got through, so... :angel: Either we were trying to decide on what it should give or I just flat out forgot to set the items, most likely the latter.

auction house gives them out fairly often as well.
I await your proof.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2011, 10:25:22 am »
In the world of balance on your way to the sealed door if you confuse the Lich enemy and he uses the attack that inflicts Zombie status on himself, he will die, yet eventhough the Lich is dead and not there he will continue you attack your party as if he is.

this larger Zombie issue is actually in the original game.  now, Lich doesn't use a Zombifying attack via Muddle/etc, and is immune to Zombie, but the bug can be experienced on other enemies.  for instance, Muddle FossilFang and hope it attacks Bug.  Charm or Control Exoray in Daryl's Tomb.  or Muddle Ogor in Triangle Island cave.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »
What are the steal probabilities for the 4 slots? Also, are there some monsters that simply don't have any drops? Also, will some slots have duplicate items? I don't want to invest too much time stealing if the rate is unfavorable and/or the drop is not worthwhile.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
What are the steal probabilities for the 4 slots?
Common: 50%
Uncommon: 25%
Rare: 18%
Rarest: 7%

Also, are there some monsters that simply don't have any drops?
Make sure you aren't confusing item drops vs items to steal. Some monsters have no items to drop, and some monsters don't fill all 4 steal slots.

Also, will some slots have duplicate items?
Perhaps, experiment and find out. :P

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »
When you steal everything from someone the game tells you
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2011, 02:09:23 am »
auction house gives them out fairly often as well.
I await your proof.
Sorry to be "that guy", but... here's the proof you asked for.

When I saw this, I specifically remembered having 2 Reflect Rings when I got to the battle with Ted Woolsey, and I obviously didn't cheat at all. So I found an old save, blasted my way through to where you can buy stuff on the AH, and have provided a screenshot and a save state (for ZSNES v1.51) providing the proof you seek.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2011, 12:13:58 pm »
Sorry to be "that guy", but... here's the proof you asked for.
This proves nothing. I wanted proof of 4 reflect rings, and this is just one. I decided to use this state and do about 20 additional rounds of items in the auction house, and the reflect ring never came up again.

When I saw this, I specifically remembered having 2 Reflect Rings when I got to the battle with Ted Woolsey, and I obviously didn't cheat at all. So I found an old save, blasted my way through to where you can buy stuff on the AH, and have provided a screenshot and a save state (for ZSNES v1.51) providing the proof you seek.
I see you don't refrain from cheating either. :P

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »
Well, I had two Reflect Rings when I got to that fight, so I assumed both came from the AH. If one came from a chest somewhere, then so be it. I will check it myself too, just in case. When I actually played through, I only hit the AH a couple rounds and got that Reflect Ring. This time it took more like a dozen rounds to get just one... lol.

And yes, I cheated to get back to that point again. I wanted to find and (potentially) verify the situation, since I knew I had gotten at least one Reflect Ring from the AH. But I didn't cheat on my actual playthrough. Cheating is sometimes fun for a game you've beaten at least once or twice, but it'd sort-of ruin the fun of playing this hack I've been waiting years for if I had done what I did on that save state to get to the AH as quick as I did.

Edit: Well, now I have no idea where my second one came from, but I too ran through at least a dozen and a half runs through the AH, and as you noted, another one never came up. I apologize for jumping to conclusions, I didn't realize you had the Reflect Ring flagged as a one-time drop at the AH, so I figured when that one popped up, there was the chance of more and that I had acquired both there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:38:10 pm by Gamesoul Master »

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »
Loving the demo so far, here are a few things I've found.  :)

Minor Bugs

• On the Phantom Train, the Spirits who can join your party, when poisoned in battle, they recover HP instead of lose it. However when on the overworld, they take damage from moving while poisoned.
  • The Spirits also still can be  killed from healing items such as potions but still heal on the overworld menu.
  • Shadow was unable to auto dual wield unless done in a specific order, particularly with at least one Ninja Weapon on at least. Otherwise the game wouldn't let me dual wield.

Text Overflows

• Silver Glasses
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/sirrob/Romhacking/FF3PandorasBoxBetaNEW_00004.png?t=1300576789

Spelling Errors

• Newbie House scholar says "revies" instead of "revives"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/sirrob/Romhacking/FF3PandorasBoxBetaSpellingErrorRevives.png?t=1300576789

Major Bugs

• During the fight with Vargas, I input Sabin's Raging Fist Blitz (Left, Left, Left, Menu aka  <- <- <- X), the attack missed and I was unable to pull off the Blitz again. It kept saying Incorrect Blitz technique, leaving the battle to be in a seemingly infinite loop.
  • Blitzes don't seem to work correctly, I've been unable to pull off a single blitz aside from the one at Vargas, and even then only that one time.

Suggestions

• Add character classes to status screen.
  • Change "Health" to "Pray".
  • Make Ultros a little more difficult.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:23:40 pm by SirRob »

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:35 pm »
  • During the fight with Vargas, I input Sabin's Raging Fist Blitz (Left, Left, Left, Menu aka  <- <- <- X), the attack missed and I was unable to pull off the Blitz again. It kept saying Incorrect Blitz technique, leaving the battle to be in a seemingly infinite loop.
  • Blitzes don't seem to work correctly, I've been unable to pull off a single blitz aside from the one at Vargas, and even then only that one time.

You're doing it wrong... but I think more importantly you are not used to the Blitz execution delay (whether it be fail or success). I think if you had changed the default configuration for the controls (menu, accept, cancel, etc.), then that changes as well.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »
Yeah, changing the configuration does changes the buttons that have to be used. Although he hasn't said yet whether he changed them or not, and he *did* say he was using the Menu button, which by default is X as he stated. And the execution delay wouldn't even factor into this situation if he's getting the "Incorrect Blitz technique" message. As long as you highlight Blitz, hit (Accept button), then hit <- <- <- (Menu button) (Accept button) and you don't hit them slower than about one button per second (that seems to be about the maximum time you can have between button presses for it to work), there shouldn't be any problem. The blitzes have all been working great for me so far, as long as I followed those guidelines, which really haven't changed since the original.

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora\\\'s Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
Using all default controls, I've done it fast enough that it should read  it fine and not slow enough that it would fail to read. I'll give it another shot and see how it goes. Perhaps change the controls and then just redefault them again.

March 23, 2011, 02:06:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

You're doing it wrong... but I think more importantly you are not used to the Blitz execution delay (whether it be fail or success). I think if you had changed the default configuration for the controls (menu, accept, cancel, etc.), then that changes as well.

Now it seems to be working more. The delay seems to be different than vanilla FF6 so perhaps thats why I was having a problem.

March 27, 2011, 12:42:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also I can't help notice that this Spirit that sells things looks like he is covered in shit. Likely due to a palette swap somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:42:05 pm by SirRob »

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »
If I recall correctly, the spirits there originally were all one color (in vanilla), but they indeed seem to have changed that, so now there's a few different colored ones. I don't know if that particular "color" was intended, but I figure the others were, so I overlooked that one.

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »
If I recall correctly, the spirits there originally were all one color (in vanilla), but they indeed seem to have changed that, so now there's a few different colored ones. I don't know if that particular "color" was intended, but I figure the others were, so I overlooked that one.

It looks unintentional to me, the colors don't blend well at all like the others.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »
They were all intentional. :angel:

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:29 am »
They were all intentional. :angel:

Haha, then well done. I'll be updating my findings on my one post so I don't spam the topic. So periodically check my signature link to my original post. I'd like to actually try to be useful in the Romhacking community and if all I can do is spellcheck and bugtest, by all means I will dammit.  :thumbsup:

Also BANON SMASH!! was an epic win.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:39:49 pm by SirRob »