News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB NES Title Screen editing?  (Read 2784 times)

txf

• View Profile
SMB NES Title Screen editing?
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:14 pm »
Ok, first let me point out that I've never made a rom hack. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I googled for some programs, I found them, I'm trying to use them. I managed to edit levels just fine.

Now. I'm trying to change the title screen on Super Mario Bros for NES. Should be simple enough. I downloaded this SMB Title Screen Editor. I've edited the title screen, but when I go to save, it gives me THIS popup, and doesn't actually save. It has an English readme, and I did exactly what it says to save, and it still doesn't work.

Any solutions, or other programs I could try? Keeping in mind, I know nothing about Hex, or coding, or anything more complicated than click a sprite, add a sprite. So, an easy to use program with a GUI would be best if you suggest something..

Thanks.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: SMB NES Title Screen editing?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:17 pm »
If your new title screen takes up more space (data-wise) than the original one, the editor won't save it. (Not helping matters is the fact that SMB1 stores its title screen data in the CHR-ROM.)

That said, the SMB1 title screen is actually very easy to hack via hex-editor.

txf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
If your new title screen takes up more space (data-wise) than the original one, the editor won't save it. (Not helping matters is the fact that SMB1 stores its title screen data in the CHR-ROM.)

That said, the SMB1 title screen is actually very easy to hack via hex-editor.

Ah..that makes sense. Probably can't be randomly adding stuff to it without removing some stuff. I'm not helping myself sound any smarter.

Thanks though, I'll mess with it and see if I can get it to work. And yeah, it's a simple title screen, I'm sure it's not that hard. I've just never messed with hex, ever. I'd be even more lost than I am with a GUI based program.

Edit: Yep, I got it, thanks. I'm actually modifying an existing hack (that I have permission for), and the title screen had some blank tiles to fill space, so I just deleted a bunch of those and it seemed to be enough. Tested it out and it works fine and looks fine without the extra tiles I removed. So yeah, thanks again. It sounds obvious when you actually say it, especially considering the same thing happens with editing levels. Can't add or delete items, only move and replace.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:06:41 pm by txf »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
What program are you using to edit levels? Super Catholic Bros. is due for a re-release sometime in the next few years, and I'd love to put the intended riddle in the final level!

txf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:14:26 am »
What program are you using to edit levels? Super Catholic Bros. is due for a re-release sometime in the next few years, and I'd love to put the intended riddle in the final level!

I dunno if it's the best or not, It seemed like it from the little bit of googling I did. But I'm using this, http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/522/. It works well from what I've tried so far.