News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dark Half translation still going.  (Read 20863 times)

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Translations: Dark Half translation still going.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 07:19:33 pm »
Yeah 8x16 is a done deal.  I thought I had it working last night, but discovered it runs the text through the same DMA code as the battle menus, so I had lopped those in half as well.   :banghead:  The results were amusing, but... less than ideal.  I rewrote it this morning.  Finished product below.

That's a nice look. have you thought about doing a VWF routine using the same
16x16 font buffer? You wouldn't need to change the DMA at all. My opion, you would
at the least need a nother buffer the same size ( 32 bytes = 1bpp, 64 = 2bpp ) for working
and the existing for the final transfer.  ;)
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 10:48:56 pm »
  That's a nice look. have you thought about doing a VWF routine using the same
16x16 font buffer? You wouldn't need to change the DMA at all. My opion, you would
at the least need a nother buffer the same size ( 32 bytes = 1bpp, 64 = 2bpp ) for working
and the existing for the final transfer.  ;)

Doing a VWF for this game might be harder than it first appears.  It's certainly beyond my skill level.  The main problem is the game does pass its graphical menus and battle screens thru the same routines as its text.  Any changes to one are applied to the other.  Even with half the graphic tiles, I'm still working within the same memory space.  If it were to be done, you would need to set a flag or variable to determine if you were dealing with the text routine, or the battle, and then JMP to a seperate piece of code for the text.

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »
Doing a VWF for this game might be harder than it first appears.  It's certainly beyond my skill level.  The main problem is the game does pass its graphical menus and battle screens thru the same routines as its text.  Any changes to one are applied to the other.  Even with half the graphic tiles, I'm still working within the same memory space.  If it were to be done, you would need to set a flag or variable to determine if you were dealing with the text routine, or the battle, and then JMP to a seperate piece of code for the text.

Ahh, I see. the 8x16 seems fine. I'm sure it will turn out excellent! Good luck. If I can help
with anything let me know. I'll try to help where I can.
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:07:15 am »
I still prefer the 8x8, to be honest. Unless you get an 8x16 font that is made for it, fixed-width 8x16 can look pretty ugly. However, most 8x8 fonts from the NES/SNES age were built to be fixed-width (as not many people had been crazy enough to do 8x8 VWF at that point), and look quite nice.

Plus, you can fit twice as much text on the screen if you need to (and given that it's an RPG, you might).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 09:54:25 am »
siryoink, to take maximum advantage of your new hard work, I'd advise considering a wider font. That will eliminate most of the remaining space between characters. See this example from Lufia 1 that has an 8x16 font and compare to yours:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588452-lufia-and-the-fortress-of-doom/images/screen-20

How far along are you on this project? How are you inserting the text? I may be willing to offer or assist you with a VWF hack for the game.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »
siryoink, to take maximum advantage of your new hard work, I'd advise considering a wider font. That will eliminate most of the remaining space between characters. See this example from Lufia 1 that has an 8x16 font and compare to yours:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588452-lufia-and-the-fortress-of-doom/images/screen-20

This! Zelda's font is made for variable spacing, and looks kind of awkward as-is.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 06:50:48 pm »
I still prefer the 8x8, to be honest.

Ditto here. There's something more...authentic about it; I dunno how to describe it.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »
Well anything is better than the blocky bold junk. That hurt my eyes. However I do agree with something like Lufia 1's font.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »
I would suggest something medieval-ish for the font to kind of reflect the dark nature of the game. Maybe that font from Actraiser 2. It's even an Enix font.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:05 am »
I wouldn't, honestly. It's nice for titles and the like, but overly stylized fonts aren't great for heavy reading. I kind of regret using Hiouden's built-in font for just this reason.

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »
For anyone interested in playing it, I posted another partial update to this several weeks ago.  Looks like someone already put it in the rhdn database.