News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: So I was thinking of having a tatoo...  (Read 4182 times)

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
So I was thinking of having a tatoo...
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
... and I wanted to see if you could identify these kanjis.

These are the ones:

Birth

Life

Death

I'm pretty sure that I got 'Death' right on the images above, but I'm not sure about 'Birth' and 'Life'. I googled these images
and found matches that 'Birth' and 'Life' has the same symbol.

But then I found another one for 'Life' and want to ask if the image above actually means 'Life'?

I don't want to put these on my skin if it's not correct. :)

Thanks.

-C_CliFF

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: So I was thinking of having a tatoo...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »
Well, at least you're making an effort to not end up on hanzi smatter.

Still, doesn't it mean something to you that you could easily end up with something wrong and then go the rest of your life without ever knowing it?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:15:47 pm »
生 generally means “life”; “birth” is incidental to that. 命 also means “life” (primarily; in Japanese at least, it also means “[an] order” or “destiny”)

That is with individual meanings. If you should attempt to put them together, it will not make a hell of a lot of sense. 生命 is another word for “life”, for one thing. Kanji themes do not often come in threes. Always nice even twos or fours.

Also, just doing my duty as an azn on teh interbutt, 〜♪

I may just be an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, but I strongly discourage people from getting this kind of ink, as in many parts of Asia (Japan in particular), tattoos still have a strong association with organized crime. 死 in particular is pretty taboo.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

C_CliFF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »
Well, at least you're making an effort to not end up on hanzi smatter.

Still, doesn't it mean something to you that you could easily end up with something wrong and then go the rest of your life without ever knowing it?

That was funny. :) I haven't decided where I want to put these. I was thinking of getting these on the location as the pictures on the link you gave me but I'm not sure. I hope it doesn't turn out as a different meaning.

I may just be an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, but I strongly discourage people from getting this kind of ink, as in many parts of Asia (Japan in particular), tattoos still have a strong association with organized crime. 死 in particular is pretty taboo.

Thanks for the help.

So if I were to put these three next to each other it would only print out as 'Life' and 'Death'?

Well, these words (or symbols) for a tatoo has been on my mind now and then since I was 16. I'm almost 30 now so it doesn't really matter if it's an association with organized crime. ;)

derboo

• View Profile
    • derboo's Translation Page
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:34 am »
生死 means Life and Death. The three together make no sense.

Something you could do would be 生死道 "The Way of Life and Death". But your artist should definitely know the characters well, or else chances are he'll get the details wrong. And, yeah, probably better don't go into the public bath in Japan with something like that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:24:19 am by derboo »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »
And, yeah, probably better don't go into the public bath in Japan with something like that.
Just for the story my sis once gave me a t-shirt with stupid things written in Japanese (I know what it was but I didn't care since I through nobody would ever understand) but now that I study in a campus where people from all countries, including japan, this became problematic as japanese people were able to read it. So I decided to throw that t-shirt away (it was way too big for me anyway).

So yeah this could be embarrassing if you get something wrong. But with something like (life-death) its probably not a big risk.

C_CliFF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

Something you could do would be 生死道 "The Way of Life and Death". But your artist should definitely know the characters well, or else chances are he'll get the details wrong. And, yeah, probably better don't go into the public bath in Japan with something like that.

That looks interesting. I'm thinking of using these symbols.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and I'll post a photo of it once it's done.

-C_CliFF

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:58:24 am »

That looks interesting. I'm thinking of using these symbols.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and I'll post a photo of it once it's done.

-C_CliFF
Alternatively, you could simply get 生死 (しょうじ), which is the Buddhist term for "The Cycle of Life and Death". Easier to write, and shorter.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior