News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 23 out!  (Read 22795 times)

Edea

• View Profile
Apologies if I should have started a new thread. 

I just recently started looking into Temporal Flux and found this plugin to have a lot of possibilities.  However, as stated, you cannot add objects with the version currently linked in the OP.  I was trying to swap Marle's Haste and Lucca's Protect spells, but I'd have to be able to add objects in order to accomplish this in the tech editor (Protect has four Effect objects, while Haste only has one); have there been any updates to this plugin besides what's posted in this thread?  Thanks in advance @ Mauron if you happen to reply to this.  Perhaps there's a simpler way to go about what I'm trying to do that wouldn't require object addition...

(As a somewhat off-topic aside, when I downloaded/installed the newest version of TF it couldn't edit dialogue strings; older versions I have downloaded can.  Do I need a plugin for that on the newer versions?)

Mauron

• View Profile
I've been taking ages on a proper release, unfortunately.

I'm going to push myself to stabilize a few things enough for release. (The headers are a pain, so I'll hide that for a while so I can get the object handling done).

I have adding and expanding objects now, but I was holding off on a release for ages.

As for your Temporal Flux question, depending on what version you were using previously, they may have been in a different place. Some older versions had a separate option for dialogue, while the newer ones place dialogue in the events page.
Mauron wuz here.

Edea

• View Profile
Aaaahh...so you open up the location map where the text is encountered, record the event number for that map, then go to location events and type that in for 'packet number' and you can access the dialogue you want.  Thanks for the heads up, now I can edit that particular set of strings with either of them.

Really looking forward to the release!  Until then I'll just wait as far as tech swapping is concerned (not really comfortable enough with the data to just go into the ROM with a hex editor and debugger for things like this).

Geiger

• View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Aaaahh...so you open up the location map where the text is encountered, record the event number for that map, then go to location events and type that in for 'packet number' and you can access the dialogue you want.  Thanks for the heads up, now I can edit that particular set of strings with either of them.

There is no reason you should want an older copy of Temporal Flux.  Especially not one so old that the dialogue text is still in the string editor.  All features in later versions are additive improvements.  None have been removed, though they may be in different places.  Also, older Fluxes are not forward compatible with newer ones.  Once you have edited a piece of dialogue with the newer edition, the older one will have no idea where it is (and may even crash).

With regard to the actual editing, you do not need to get the packet number separately, unless you want it for future use.  When you find the location in question, click on the blue Event label.  It will open up the associated event.  All blue labels work in a similar manner.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:39:56 pm by Geiger »
This is the patent age of new inventions -/- For killing bodies, and for saving souls, -/- All propagated with the best intentions. --Lord Byron

Edea

• View Profile
Yeah, I'm used to the Location editor in the most recent release now, it's all good XD

Mauron

• View Profile
After ages of delays and not working on this, I finally started back up, and have a new version ready. The following has been added:

- Tech Expansion
- Targeting
- Control headers (11-byte)
- Effect headers (12-byte)
- Graphics headers (7-byte)
- Item data (not 100% certain if this is new)

Hi-Tech Beta 3

Assuming no bugs pop up in testing, it should be ready for the first official release. Tech expansion is currently possible on US ROMs only.
Mauron wuz here.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Gotta iddle aroud with this in the near future, marvelous release :)
Double and Triple Techs are not included yet, right?

Mauron

• View Profile
Double and Triple techs are included. They are in the character selector after Magus, and before Enemy techs and Items.

The big thing that's lacking is enemy normal attacks - Gato's punch, Hetake's jump, etc. Those will likely be added in a 1.1 release.
Mauron wuz here.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Cool, thats nice to hear!
And one final question others also might have:
Are animations and movement patterns hard coded or can they also be changed (in the current or later versions)?
Afterwards I will keep the other small questions for checking by myself once I finally boot it up next time I get back to my CT-Project^^

Mauron

• View Profile
Both of those are currently editable.
Mauron wuz here.

Mauron

• View Profile
Re: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 4 out!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:54 pm »
Hi-Tech Beta 4 is now out.

Changes:

- Status inflicting techs now properly support all statuses.
- Status inflicting techs can handle multiple statuses at once.
- Fixed a crash involving drain techs and status inflicting techs.
- Added a status label dependant on the type for status inflicting techs.
- Fixed an import bug.
- Fixed multiple bugs with saving.
- Added a display for the targeted value in certain parts of damage techs.
Mauron wuz here.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 05:47:11 pm »
Back on this. I had been working on an AI editor for a while, but the next step is tediously checking for typos in an asm hack (I know I made a few), so I'm using the knowledge I've gained to implement a better method for handling animation commands, and cleaning up a lot of the old, messier code from when I started this.
Mauron wuz here.

psychedelist

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:57 pm »
Thanks for creating this. Using your editor (together with the other one), I almost accomplished what I wanted to do for a while. I succeeded in giving Marle Hexagon Mist instead of Ice2, but what I really wanted is replacing Cure2 with it (or even better, turning Cure2 into Life2 and Life2 into Hex.Mist). I tried to edit the headers hoping that it's possible to convert a healing spell into an offensive magic one this way, but it seems that "Save 12 byte header" button only affects two of the headers (effect and graphics), while the other two remain unedited. So I'm currently stuck with this. May I ask, will my idea be possible with the future releases? Or it's already possible and I just failed to figure something out?

Mauron

• View Profile
Re: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 5 out!
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »
It looks like I forgot to mark some of the records as modified when saving them. Save 12-Byte header is only supposed to save the effect header, and I'm not sure how you were seeing changes to the graphics header through it.

The other headers now properly save through File > Save Tech.

Hi-Tech Beta 5
Mauron wuz here.

psychedelist

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 11:42:42 am »
I was wrong then. Maybe it was just the fact that the graphics header seemed to store its values correctly (unlike the other headers) after switching between different techs. Anyway, I tried the new version and editing the headers worked for some characters , but didn't for others.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:34 pm »
Could you elaborate on where you had problems?
Mauron wuz here.

psychedelist

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 11:41:02 am »
Sure. (I didn't go into detail because didn't want it to look like I'm expecting immediate fixes)

I followed this scenario for various characters: pick a random tech; change Element under Control Header; click File->Save Tech; switch to another tech and go back to the edited one; see if the edited value was saved properly.

This works fine for Crono. In case of the others, the edited value always goes back to the original one (before editing).

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »
Feel free to post details whenever you find a bug.

It looks like I was overwriting a value that controlled where it saved to - single techs were saving to the first 8. I'll do some more testing before I get a patch out though.
Mauron wuz here.

Mauron

• View Profile
Re: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 6 out!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »
I've fixed the above bug, and added support for editing enemy normal attacks. There may be problems with them in a pre-release ROM, as I did not fully test that part.

There are more enemy normal attacks than there are animation slots, so some of them must be shared.

Beta 6!
Mauron wuz here.

psychedelist

• View Profile
Re: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 6 out!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
Great news. Since it's ok to report detailed bugs, I'll go right ahead..

1. (I believe these ones existed in the previous version (they still do)) Objects don't update for dual and triple techs. Also, selecting Melee/Critical/Ranged attacks for any characters will cause headers to not update if you go back to the character's 'proper' techs.

2. (not sure if new or not) I select a random dual/triple tech, then go to any character and his/her tech list will appear messed up (looked like it was affected by the index of the dual/triple tech I had selected just before).

3. Did 'save tech' + 'save rom' on Kilwala's attack without editing anything, the game crashes/gives black screen on startup. Same with Marle's Cure2. Out of curiosity, tried to do the thing with Nu's attack, doesn't crash the game, but the checksum still changed. There's got to be something wrong.