News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 21 out!  (Read 21333 times)

Mauron

• View Profile
We the Maurons, in order to form a more perfect ROMhack... wait, wrong script.

Let's just skip to the Q&A.

Q: Isn't there already a tech editor for Chrono Trigger?

A: Yes. Unfortunately, it was not, and will not, be completed. I greatly respect the previous author for what he did, but due to certain circumstances, he's unable to complete it.

Q: So there's two now? How do I know which one to use?

A: Mine should now have all the functionality of the old one. For the 4 byte headers, mine takes care of those when saving. For graphics and sound data, mine has more research included.

Q: When will yours be complete?

A: When I get there. I'd like to be more helpful, but then I'd likely miss the date.

Q: The old editor displays things differently! Why?

A: You're either referring to the new boxes, or "missing" objects. The new boxes are different object types, which was discovered after the last release of the old editor. The "missing" objects were actually the"miss" animation for a tech. They're displayed properly now.

Q: Can I have a link?

A: Sure Hi-Tech Beta 20!

Here's a sample video. It demonstrates a small tweak possible with the editor.

Edit: Updated link.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:31:18 pm by Mauron »
Mauron wuz here.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Hi-Tech: A Chrono Trigger tech editor for Temporal Flux! Beta 2 out now!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »
A great release! Thank you very much!

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
YAY!

Asylum

• View Profile
You must return to the first page!

Btw, love this plugin. Can make a whole bunch of crazy techs. But can you make a tutorial on what does what?

Also, can you modify the damage a tech does?

Mauron

• View Profile
You must return to the first page!

Btw, love this plugin. Can make a whole bunch of crazy techs. But can you make a tutorial on what does what?

Also, can you modify the damage a tech does?

Thanks for the free bump.

Right now it allows for changing the graphics on any tech, or data that uses the same format (Items, attacks, etc).

You may have noticed some objects are red and some are black. Red objects are shared with another tech.

Writing a tutorial is tricky, because of the number of unknowns. I will do whatever I can though, and share my notes.

The next version will support property changing. Right now my focus is getting objects documented for Geiger's offsets database, which shouldn't take much longer.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
Oooh, okay. I have to say, this is really impressive. Editing enemy techs is just plain awesome. Unfortunately, I don't quite know what all the animations do. Is there a list?

Also, do you know of any AI Editors or documentation on the subject?

I love what you're doing with this plugin.

BTW: What is Lavos' "Pimpslap"?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:24:31 pm by Asylum »

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
There was an AI editor that may be still around somewhere but it's rather sloppy.  It's hard to work with it unless you know what you're doing.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Asylum

• View Profile
I know that you have one, Justin. I might be able to figure it out with a bit of time and effort, and if not then I suppose I can sit around and wait.

Could you please send me a link of it?

Pretty please with....sugar and chocolate sauce on top?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:49:23 pm by Asylum »

Mauron

• View Profile
This Flux file will demonstrate animations for you.

I'll be making an AI editor after this is done.

I'm not sure what all the enemy techs look like - I didn't make the list.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
What exactly are those, plugins?

Thanks.

Mauron

• View Profile
The Flux file is exported data from Temporal Flux - in this case one of the locations, that allows you to view animations.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
Ah. I was hesitant to import it. What exactly does it do?

Mauron

• View Profile
It changes the events for location ...63? to a test system that allows you to see all sprites, animations, and statics. You can talk to the sprite to get the decimal number.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
Oooh, that is very, very useful.

Mauron

• View Profile
I've finally gotten back to work on this.

After many sleepless nights (well, one, and it was work because I wasn't sleeping in the first place, but still), I've come up with a way that should allow tech animations to be expanded.

It's a small ASM hack that rewrites the loading routines of the tech header and creates a table of bank locations.

This currently only works for the US ROM, but once it's been tested thoroughly I'll apply it to the other versions as well.

Taking a break because I am sick of staring at code at the moment.
Mauron wuz here.

Mauron

• View Profile
The most recent version is linked to in the first post. Temporal Flux is available in the utilities section.
Mauron wuz here.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
Okay, after taking a break to work on a couple other plugins, I'm back to this.

Finally began allowing editing of the 11 and 12 byte attack headers. Once I finish documenting the bytes loaded in the 12 byte header for each command, I'll add those.

I also added an optional INI file that goes in the .proj directory created by Temporal Flux. It will allow the expansion of the number of techs and changing the values used for player tech data.

This will allow Hi-Tech to work on ROM hacks that give Magus combo techs, add more dual or triple techs, or add an 8th playable character.

Tech names for projects using those options will have to create a text file in the .proj directory, or something. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I can't override the settings for Temporal Flux to load tech names in the ROM.

I hope to have the next beta out within a month or so.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »
What are your other plugins?

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »
Nothing quite as exciting as Hi-Tech.

- String Relabeler. A simple tool to alter the global strings in Temporal Flux, such as PC and NPC names, store labels, and sound effects. Due to a limitation in Temporal Flux, not all places reflect the changes, but this will be fixed in the next version of Temporal Flux.
- Monster Editor: A more updated monster editor than the one in CT Editor Companion, thanks to some new research.
- Item Plugin: The first item editor to edit accessory prices and consumable item properties (currently labeled as unknowns, due to insufficient research).

None have been released yet, but if any of these could help you in a project, let me know and I'll be happy to share them with you.
Mauron wuz here.

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
I think the item and monster plugins would be really useful, if you could spare them.