News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: ROMulan Data Extractor/Injector Utility Released  (Read 4243 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: ROMulan Data Extractor/Injector Utility Released
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:15 am »

Update By: Stealth

A new utility with a simple interface, but powerful functionality. Through the use of scripts that describe the layout of the target game file, it eases the re-integration of edited data by automatically relocating data that has grown in size, and updating program and pointer list references to the data. It is also capable of batch operations such as the initial extraction of the data, and the calling of external conversion utilities immediately after extraction, or immediately prior to injection.

For more feature information on the "Batch" and "Inject" files, see the documentation

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://stealth.hapisan.com)

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: ROMulan Data Extractor/Injector Utility Released
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:19 am »
Fascinating. Tell me: can this tool be called by editors to make game specific adjustments? Such as, could I edit the map of Zelda II inside an editor, and run a script generated by that editor in ROMulan to effect the changes in ROM?

EDIT: checked it out. Stealth I think this is a good back-end tool, but it's just that: a back end. I think you should modify your distribution license to allow distribution as a part of a (freeware) package. And... I don't think you have any shot of making money with it, so just put that out the window.  :-\

It's also not clear to me that this tool does automatic pointer adjustments...?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:57:40 pm by tcaudilllg »

esperknight

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: ROMulan Data Extractor/Injector Utility Released
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:31 pm »
I'd think from the description it should do them.  Basically it sounds like it automagically puts data into free space you describe without you having to tell it to.  It's the same thing Atlas will do if you specify the JMP command to your blank space before inserting your text.  Mind you this is just a quick read on my part so I could be wrong.

The other interesting thing it does is also inject binary data which Atlas doesn't do which would be a nice feature.   It also has quite a number of other features too it looks like from looking at the script files.  Pretty interesting.