News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Parigo Kart - SMK Hack  (Read 9966 times)

ScouB

• View Profile
    • Twitch channel
Super Parigo Kart - SMK Hack
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:13:53 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Firstly I would like to congratulate everyone who contributed to this website as it's clearly a fantastic job ! Well done !

Anyway, I would like to present you my hack of Super Mario Kart : Super Parigo Kart.
It is a complete hack :
- New characters
- New tracks
- New backgrounds
- AI in GP working
- Items and coins placement done
- etc ...

One other thing : the game is a PAL hack, as some of you know SMK was reprogrammed when transferred to PAL, so SMK PAL and NTSC are clearly different... Most of the SMK hacks (maybe even ALL SMK hacks) are NTSC, so that's a point I had to highlight :)

Here is a Trailer showing all Tracks + some screenshots :
(If you are interested, there are several other videos of Records done on the game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjj9Iwder8&feature=player_embedded

The main purpose of this hack was to provide some sort of SMK 2 (same type of tracks, same type of shortcuts, same type of fun, etc...) but with personnal features, I mean I'm a member of the super mario kart community and i wanted to add some "private jokes" in it for other members ... That's why, i guess some of the backgrounds or characters will appear strange for some of you. Anyway, I think even if you misunderstand some things, the game is clearly a follow-up of SMK and can be enjoyed as much as it.
The game was aimed to be on cartridges only (and for members of the community only), indeed we even did a ranking website for times done on cartridges (http://superparigokart.haisoft.net for those who are interested) but as everyone who played it found it cool, I think it'll be too bad not to share it with everyone.
Currently, there is no rom Patch of this hack available on the web, so I'm asking you, if you would be interested in this hack and if you want me to submit it to romhacking.net ?
If yes, then i should upload a patch for the hack in the following months.

Best Regards,

ScouB

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Super Parigo Kart - SMK Hack
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:32 am »
Sounds pretty comprehensive, so I'm sure people will be very interested in this.

Good job :thumbsup:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:37:28 pm »
I'm definitely interested, although I suspect it might not run properly on my copier (NTSC)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »
I really dig the backgrounds of the tracks, I'll be keepin' an eye out for this hack, sweet job so far!  :cookie:

ScouB

• View Profile
    • Twitch channel
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:22:56 am »
I'm definitely interested, although I suspect it might not run properly on my copier (NTSC)

I have to say, i never tried, but i think that should actually work, but the driving wont be similar to a NTSC SMK but more like a faster PAL ... well, i guess...

Maybe someone allready tried to make work a PAL game on acopier for NTSC snes ? I remember the contrary is possible, some NTSC games worked on a PAL copier ...

flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:02:23 am »
I have to say, i never tried, but i think that should actually work, but the driving wont be similar to a NTSC SMK but more like a faster PAL ... well, i guess...
That's what I'm guessing will happen.
Maybe someone allready tried to make work a PAL game on acopier for NTSC snes ? I remember the contrary is possible, some NTSC games worked on a PAL copier ...
Sure.  That's how I'm able to play Terranigma.  However, as far as I know, all the PAL/NTSC conversions do is defeat the region lock.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:19 pm »
Looks very well made, with the custom skyboxes being the second most noticeable feature. I can id pot, weed, beer, vodka, some sort of bible reference and yet another form of alcohol. It should definitely be submitted.

elricorico

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
I've wanted a chance to play it since I read about it on the MK World Records site.  I know I'm not alone.

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:15:43 am »
Good work on your hack ScouB, I know those racers are allot of sprites!  Also I'm quite envious of your MC to Paris background convertion.  I got MC background changed to a city on my hack but it's the only one I'm not happy with.

I picked up my SMK hack a few weeks back for the first time in over a year.  I've been working on my SMK editing tool, it has a background layout editor in it if it's any help to you, but I think it might be a bit late for you hack.

ScouB

• View Profile
    • Twitch channel
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:29 am »
Hey Dirtbag,
Indeed, those sprites are a lot of work, even for the backgrounds, especially when you edit them directly in hex  :-X Even if it's too late for this hack, i'm curious to see your editor :) so I would be delighted if you send it to me  :thumbsup: and good works on your hack SBK too, some backgrounds are just awesome  :o

Thanks guys for all your comments, i'm seriously considering uploading it soon :)  :beer:

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:06:14 am »
"even for the backgrounds, especially when you edit them directly in hex  :-X " :)  :beer:"

Indeed it is that's how 1.1 of the editor was born!  Future features of SMKMashup, whatever I need next to help me.  I'll PM you about the details.

ScouB

• View Profile
    • Twitch channel
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:28:32 am »
I've just submitted the game on RHDN's site :)
It should appear soon i guess  :)

EDIT : http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/730/

feel free to write some reviews  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:58:06 am by ScouB »