News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokémon Dark Energy  (Read 68607 times)

Miksy91

• View Profile
Pokémon Dark Energy
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:21:27 am »
What happens if you mix up traditional Pokemon gaming with the RPG style of Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger and all that?
The answer is right in front of you...

Pokémon Dark Energy
Hack of: Pokemon Silver (U)

Storyline

You're a 19-year-old university boy from the Southern Edge of The Capital. The Capital is the biggest city in the world we live in, Suden.

The game itself starts surprisingly with a cutscene, not involving the main hero in it. It looks like some strange fellow, Maxime, has come to see Mr. Burton, one of the richest people in all of Suden. Maxime tells him about 5 precious stones, Elemental Orbs, that are scattered across the world. He couldn't seek out the Orbs all by himself so he asks if Mr. Burton paid for building an organization which could look for the Elemental Orbs in their place. Mr. Burton isn't interested about the idea at all, and asks Maxime to leave. Suddenly, some strange light knocks Mr. Burton down and when he awakes, he surprisingly accepts Maxime's offer. Maxime, then again, couldn't even "feel anything". I wonder what that was about? But thus, Team Darkness was born.

Finally, the game begins with the main player, a 19-year-old university boy from The Capital, the biggest city in world we live in, Suden. The player gets a phone call to go to see his professor at the university due to an exceptional found in Rocky Mountain in eastern part of Suden. The finding is old writing about Elemental Orbs and how they were created around 1000 years ago. Due to how the timeline in the game works, no one should have heard of the Elemental Orbs by now, not even Maxime..

And the further you progress, the more you'll start discovering about the Elemental Orbs, a thing called The Crisis and disappearance of energy in the past. What does all this mean? Find out by starting to play already today!

Features

-Explore a whole new world with everything made from scratch: maps, texts, scripts etc.
-Unique storyline, doesn't include trying to become a pokemon champion, that's for sure!
-Elements of other RPG games; sidequests, character development and more
-An organization, Team Darkness, who seems to have the same plan to unlock these secrets... or are they up to something else?
-Minigames such as "Magical Book" and "Magikarp man" (and there are more than that!)
-Lots of boss fights and each one having an actual purpose
-Plenty of small ASM hacks

Read Me before playing!

Spoiler:
-------------------------------------
POKéMON DARK ENERGY BETA 4.0

Pokemon Dark Energy offers a unique gameplay experience by mimicing that of Final Fantasy series;
There are lots of quests and the gameplay is focused on development of the story rather than "traveling from town to town".
Even so, most gameplay related things are borrowed from the original game the hack is based on, Pokemon Silver.

Below, you can find information you might want to know before starting to play. This information mostly contains changes to the way the game engine works.
(After all, you would normally assume several things function the way they would in the game the hack is based on.)

---------------------
Naming Characters
---------------------
There will be situations when you can give a name to a certain person. If you give it an "empty" name and click END, a default in-game name is picked for that person.

--------------
Battle Modes
--------------
There are two battle modes you can choose from - Normal and Active.
The current battle mode can be changed by opening Options from the Menu.

--------------
Move Tutors
--------------
Certain people, who have pokemon with moves they couldn't normally learn, can teach your pokemon the same abilities.
Only a few may do this though.

------------
Sidequests
------------
There are 7 sidequests you can finish in this beta. A rumor is that if you complete at least 5 of them, and talk to a certain person, something might be unlocked...

Other than that, finishing all of the sidequests doesn't serve for any special reason, at least not yet.
But every sidequest as its own gives you a handy prize!

--------------------
Pokemon Changes
--------------------
-Traded pokemon always obey
-"Trade-evolution" pokemon evolve now by leveling them up (some evolutions could be changed to evolution stone evolutions though).
-Eevee and its upper forms have had lots of changes. All that's related to this is revealed in the game.
-Magikarp evolves now by Water Stone (due to certain in-game sidequest).
-All the pokemon that evolve with evolution stones have their upper-forms' movesets edited.
--How this works is that you don't have to wait for the pre-form to learn a certain move (like Pikachu's Thunder or Vulpix' Flamethrower) before giving them the evolution stone. Their upper form, in this case, Raichu learns Thunder and same way, Ninetales also learns Flamethrower.

----
FAQ
----
Usually when you think you got stuck, try talking to people around the area and that should give you the "keys" to move forward.
But if you, for one reason or another, run out of options, you can check the FAQ in PC thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=266372

--------
Credits
--------
BlueEmerald Correcting loads of grammar errors, and drawing overworld sprites.
Poketto Drawing battle sprites.
Roareye Drawing battle sprites.
jwibagi Testing, and giving ideas.
Mateo Testing, helped me out back in the day.
Tauwasser Giving advice with various game-mechanism hacks. Also, maker of the Scripting Compendium.
Koolboyman Inventing the base of Running Shoes routine I borrowed. Also, wrote lots of handy documents I needed.

Apart from everyone above, I like to thank all of the following guys on the list.
Getting help has been awesome!

Graphical help:
-----------------------
Solar
Cheestendo
Squall
Ben

ASM help:
----------------
IIMarckus
Sawakita

Tool makers:
--------------------
Lin
Harrison
score_under

And of course you and everybody else who has taken their time reading all this!
Hope you enjoy the hack!

Need help in getting the hack running ?
-You'll need a Pokemon Silver (U) rom and an ips patching utility to apply the "Dark Energy Beta 4.0".ips patch to the Pokemon Silver (U) rom for the game to work.

Ips-patching utilities
Windows (Lunar IPS): http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/
Linux/Mac (Lazy IPS): http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/844/

Pictures

Support banner

Banner made by Mateo
Battle sprites in the banner: Poketto (Ashlyn, Goon), Cheestendo - Cactus

Download Beta 4.0 here
Length: More gameplay than in many original pokemon games made by Gamefreak.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:51:16 pm by Miksy91 »
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
Re: Miksy's Hacks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:52 am »
If you are able to edit overworld tiles, or character sprites, I could help you with spriting.
I'm interested in what the title screen looks like.

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:49:58 am »
I've done nothing with the title screen this far.
The best way to edit it is to use AgiXP, a sprite inserter.
You can draw the title screen, with 4 colors, with paint and just add it to the wanted offset with the program.

If you feel like doing sprites for me, that would be awesome !
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:35 am »
Before I do anything, I think it's a really good idea for us to talk more in person than on a forum. Do you have skype?
My Skype ID is: Zemious

That being said, I'd let you do all the importing. I'd just be spriting.
What would you need me to sprite?

Miksy91

• View Profile
Re: Pokémon Dark Future
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:31 pm »
It has been 1 and half a year since I opened this thread here...
Probably no one even remembers the old thread anymore but I figured it would be better to redo the old thread than start a new one. So yeah, this one has been updated based on threads of the hack in Pokecommunity and Skeetendo Inc. Just figured I'd do so because the main post still had a link to an old demo and lots of other way outdated stuff.

Reply in case you've got something to say and if you liked playing old pokemon games, try it out and see how it is.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »
This really sounds interesting. O_O I like the thought of not having to collect gym badges (although it seems like you've made the orbs into that...)

If I had any time, I'd try it out...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:31 pm »
This really sounds interesting. O_O I like the thought of not having to collect gym badges (although it seems like you've made the orbs into that...)

If I had any time, I'd try it out...
Actually, no. Orbs aren't really replacing badges although they're stored in same part of ram memory as badges and will so replace badges in save menu and "character menu". What's more, there are only 4 or 5 of them in all (yet one thing I've to plan through for the continuity of the story).

Try to find time for it then ;)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:18 pm »
Well, I'm assuming you still have to collect them to advance the plot, right? What I'm assuming that you're doing is that you're changing the context in which they are obtained (i.e. not in a gym, but in... a lair or temple or sorts, idk).

But I have no way to know unless I play it or you tell me more. :P

And yeah, I'd actually been wanting to make time for everything I want to do but meh. Time is limited and too much work (seriously, hispanic companies think its employees only live for the company or something? I don't do 40 hours a week, I do 45! Sheesh. ...actually doesn't sound that long...)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »
True, collecting Orbs is one of your objectives and when a certain part of the game is reached, you can't go further unless you've found the orbs first (although the game clearly points out where to find them). There two more important things you'll have to do though which will come up as you progress a little further.

Well I surely wouldn't want to work 45 hours per week. It doesn't sound that much but can turn out a bit stressful.

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »
Not sure whether double-posting in this kind of situation is okay but here is a video I uploaded in youtube and could also share here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO2TW1kQGRw

Check that video and post some feedback after doing so!

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 06:38:32 am »
I have some questions about this project:

- Is it finalized because I'm not sure after I saw download version (Beta 3.1) in description? If no, what do you want change/add in future?
- I'm curious about phrase "250 pokemon catchable". So, can I catch in Dark Future hack all Pokemon from Silver, plus Gold exclusives and all starter Pokemon? And what about Celebi?
- Where can I get latest info related with future plans about this hack (I know about Pokecommunity and Skeetendo Inc, but I don't know where find the best threads about this project)?

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:07:44 am »
I have some questions about this project:

- Is it finalized because I'm not sure after I saw download version (Beta 3.1) in description? If no, what do you want change/add in future?
- I'm curious about phrase "250 pokemon catchable". So, can I catch in Dark Future hack all Pokemon from Silver, plus Gold exclusives and all starter Pokemon? And what about Celebi?
- Where can I get latest info related with future plans about this hack (I know about Pokecommunity and Skeetendo Inc, but I don't know where find the best threads about this project)?
The hack is not complete. That's why the most up to date available version is called Beta 3.1. There will lots of more areas, storyline-related events and pretty much everything.
This is not a "complete pokedex to achieve something" type of a hack but I've added as many possibilities for the players to use their party from so basically, 250 pokemon can be obtained in it. Of all G/S/C pokemon, Lugia and Mewtwo cannot be obtained, making 249 and there is one more added which wasn't in G/S/C making 250 (this one isn't from further gens either. there will be in all 3 "fakemon" (not really fakemon but not normal pokemon either, won't tell you more about them)).
Pokecommunity and Skeetendo Inc. threads will do for the latest info. Other than that, you can subscribe to me in youtube to see all latest video updates.

And yeah, I haven't stopped working on this in any way.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:12:05 am by danke »

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:58 pm »
O.K. thanks for info.

I think I'll check you IPS patch soon ;) So if I would be having new questions, be sure to check this thread. BTW, keep posting any news!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:13:11 am by Chpexo »

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 03:24:40 am »
O.K. thanks for info.

I think I'll check you IPS patch soon ;) So if I would be having new questions, be sure to check this thread. BTW, keep posting any news!
If others keep posting here, I'll keep doing that. Doing a monologue seems pointless even if there would be those who wanted to know what's going on.
Eventually, I'll probably update this thread when I've a new release to set up but until then, can't say a thing yet.

I remember reading about this hack on Zophar's domain before, but I never thought it would be this good.

By the way, when I tried to download the zip, my virus scanner said it was a virus.

I've heard that a lot (especially since I'm the one who was making crappy edits of pokemon crystal three years ago so the ones who know me by them, don't expect this to be much different either). No idea what makes your virus scanner saying it's a virus. All the zip-file really contains is:
1) Ips-file
2) Notepad document (info)
3) Notepad document's info copied to the "comment" screen which is shown when the zip-file is opened.

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
Here is another video I uploaded in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzpyDImqTU

The funny thing here is that this video actually shows very well how different this hack is from other pokemon games you may have played before. It's only 30 seconds long or so but you'll get to see a quite a lot about the main characters there (even if no particular text is displayed in it and all they say as placeholders is "Object event."). Anyway, check it out if you're even a bit interested in where this is going to ;)

You may actually pick up something from the identities of the main characters by watching that short clip there. I'll eventually plan on developing an identity for all of them (and a couple of evil characters) so that they'll actually be own persons.

DarkReaper

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »
This looks badass and will give me a reason to play this version again :thumbsup:

Miksy91

• View Profile
Re: Pokémon Dark Energy
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 03:55:03 am »
This looks badass and will give me a reason to play this version again :thumbsup:
Thanks! :)
Sorry, I could have replied you way earlier but wouldn't have had anything to say expect for that so I kinda skipped doing that...

Anyway, I have changed the hack title from Dark Future to Dark Energy. The reason for this is that DF didn't represent the hack that much. DE then again is a much better name having an actual purpose related to the game (dark energy, that is).

Also the main post has been updated with plenty of new screenshots, new descriptions for a lot of stuff, added a "play online" link (removed) to the end of the post etc. Eventually, I plan on releasing another beta but that will have to wait till sometime during the next year.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:36:51 pm by Miksy91 »

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 04:02:51 am »
Thanks for update.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:19 am »
I think garfield should be heathcliff!