News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Name of a fancy restaurant  (Read 2351 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Name of a fancy restaurant
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »
Hey folks! Wonder if anyone can give me a hand with the name of a restaurant from Ah! My Goddess/Oh My Goddess!. Keiichi is trying to find a place to take Belldandy out on a date and at one point settles on a place called "サントワレ". I assume this is something like Italian or French or something, but I don't know what it might be. A Google search actually gets a single hit on a restaurant, a bread and tea house I think. No info on what the foreign word might be though. Closest I've gotten from messing with Google translate is "Santo Vare" which apparently means holy Vare? Any help/advice appreciated.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
Re: Name of a fancy restaurant
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »
It's Saint Etoile, which is rendered in Japanese as サントワーレ. I checked out the word etoile, and it means star.

Does the game actually say サントワレ? If so, I'm guessing the developers called it that to avoid trademark infringement.

Side note: I found the same single Google hit you did. The poster on that page gave directions to the shop, so I found it with Google Street View. You can see the shop here if you want. Street View FTW. :)

HTH
Sign THIS!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »
If you want to keep the "close but not quite" feel, you could always go for Santoile.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
Yay! Thanks for this. :) The internet is scary isn't it? I'm thinking I'll go for St. Etoile in that case.