News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Final Fantasy VI Hack Includes Harder Gameplay & Comprehensive Changes  (Read 30142 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Gogo13

A brand new Final Fantasy VI gameplay modification has been released, complete with sweeping changes across the board:

• Much harder enemies
  • New damage curves, HP curves, MP curves, and XP curves.
  • Vast changes to monster AI, skills, and hero skills such as spells, espers, Lores, Swdtech, Blitzes, Dances, Tools, and Rages.
  • Entirely new items, from the slightly different to the game-changing and super-powerful
  • New spell animations
  • Hero stats have been changed, with a focus to make each hero a competitive choice
  • Lastly, the Colloseum has been completely redone, with every item yielding a viable foe and progressing to better items.

Even more surprising is the supporting documentation.  A bestiary, a table of the new XP, HP, and MP curves, and even the excel file used to make the game (with way more information than anyone would care to read) is included.

If you love Final Fantasy VI, and have yearned for the challenging and complex game it should have been, be sure to give this new mod a look!

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/707/)

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
I don't believe changing bytes around in FF6MDE counts as hacking the spells animation. It's very possible to hack the spells animation as I've documented how to in a tutorial on my site. A correct way to phrase your new spells as "Customized Spells" or something.
Nevertheless, good work on completing this. :)

Piggy Chan!

• View Profile
I recently finished a project with similar aims, but I feel it was a little more inhibited than this one. I think I'm going to give this a try, because it looks very interesting.

Gogo13

• View Profile
I would agree with you Zeemis, didn't think of that.

PiggyChan, I am honored.  I took a look at yours two weeks ago and saw some really great things in it, such as the Wish spell!

If you guys love it or hate it, give an author some feedback sometime.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:22:16 pm by Gogo13 »

syntax error

• View Profile
On this site are bugfixes for a few of the over 100 bugs that the Pandoras Box devs
counted.I dont read if you applied any in this hack.

Gogo13

• View Profile
Yes I took a look at those and didn't see many serious bugs.  The authors involved in that project made many patches that fix the serious bugs, and I've applied the important ones (listed in the readme).

February 08, 2011, 12:57:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Woahh, first review is a bad one.  Do people lie about hacks purposely, or are they just stupid?  Myself and another person have playtested the WoB and this lunatic says the first bosses do 10x his max hp???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:57:37 am by Gogo13 »

Lilinda

• View Profile
I haven't played the hack, but FF6, originally, didn't really need any grinding at all. Maybe he rushed through the game ala the original and got hit hard due to that?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gogo13

• View Profile
Yeah, I'm betting it's because the original FF6 is so easy, he didn't think of using things like b.row or something.  There were only two parts in WoB I had to grind a couple levels for, and none of those parts had bosses doing even 2x max HP.

Leonidus

• View Profile
Been playing it, it's really rad so far (im in the beginning of the world of ruin).

Definitely a challenge, definitely makes the battle system actually interesting as opposed to childish easy.  You have to really know how to setup characters, and each boss is usually so hard that its a kind of puzzle you have to solve to figure out just how you can overcome the odds and defeat him.

Lilinda

• View Profile
Question: Does Magic Power play as much of a role in this hack as it does in the original game? Is Vigor semi-useless, or has it been improved?

Leonidus

• View Profile
So far magic power is important for doing magic damage, yeah, but in the world of balance physical damage is what I have used for the majority of fights.  Magic is a good way to get through some enemies but you just can't spare the mp on random encounters unless you're by somewhere it can be refilled for free (tinctures/sleepingbags are expensive and you have really limited money).  So I basically only used magic when you really have to, like on bosses.  It really helps (to the point where it's basically essential) to gear up your magic user for the highest mpwr possible too, like putting on earrings and +mpwr items or it just won't be enough damage.

Vigor is important, and being able to get high vigor is what usually differentiates a good attacker from a bad one, since everyone can get decent battlepower weapons.

Lilinda

• View Profile
I was referring to the stat and how it matters much more for the damage calculations than Vigor does.

Leonidus

• View Profile
No idea about the calculations, sorry man.

Gogo13

• View Profile
Because of the new damage curves, the mPwr stat plays a bigger role than in the original.  To give an illustration of how this is true, the highest spell power from an esper spell is 40 or 50, whereas before they went triple that number.

In the WoB, magic power is just as good as physical, especially because you can focus on weaknesses to elements easier.  However, you of course are only good if you are geared up right (earrings, +mPwr items if possible) but that goes the same for physical (HyperWrist/Atlas Armlet).

In the WoR, magic quickly grows in power as you level up chars with +2 mPwr.  Monsters have higher mDef to counter this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:33:16 pm by Gogo13 »

Hrith

• View Profile
Do people lie about hacks purposely, or are they just stupid?  Myself and another person have playtested the WoB and this lunatic says the first bosses do 10x his max hp???
Is accusing people of lying, calling them names or assuming they're not good players your only defense?

None of these are true.
I'm an excellent FFVI player, and I'm also very good at planning chatacters and planning battle tactics.
Had I kept a save from that point in the game, I would have posted a picture, but I have not, and I am not playing that crap again. Ultros (Lethe River) could deal 250 damage to one character, my best had 80 HP. The Phantom Train was dealing 400+ damage to all characters, at that time, Sabin had barely broken the 100 HP limit. Kefka (Narshe Cliffs) could also deal more than five times the value of Locke's HP. Ultros (Opera House) could deal eight times the HP of Gau.

The fact that some regular enemies (Vulture, WoB Kohlingen area) can ohko your party in one attack does not help the levelling up process.
It's basically one or two fights -> heal up somewhere free, because you can't even get money for the inn. Over and over, until, after two hours, you have gained two levels and a whopping 20 HP.
Brilliant gameplay, there.

Just because you can program shit does not mean you can make a good game. Lesson learned.

Gogo13

• View Profile
I'm glad you responded.  Some of the things I might be able to help you out with, but others do seem impossible.  For instance, your max HP of 80 would mean you are level 8 and without Sabin?  Sabin himself has +100 HP as a bonus from the start, so him barely breaking 100 HP seems impossible to me.  Also, 1st-Ultros would do Flashrain, which does 250 damage if you have no mDef at all, but if you were wearing Iron Armor, which is weak to lightning, I could see the pwn happening.  Ultros in the Opera house is level 17, with 7 magic power and 53 battle power, meaning he could do 574 magic damage against zero armor, 349 against 100 armor, or 308 physical damage vs zero armor, 150 vs 128 armor.  Your Gau must have been a very low level for 5x his HP to be possible in damage, correct?  It must have been less than 5x damage, because at level 3 he has 65 HP.  Opera House Ultros only does Acid Rain if you Blitz or SwdTech him by the way, so you're only looking at 150 physical damage for the fight if you play it strategically.  The vulture complaint is very legit, though, and has been fixed (I changed that spell later on and forgot vultures use it).  Phantom Train doesn't do that much damage unless you were weak to an element, however, and I'll take a look at him after I get some business done.

As for the leveling up scheme, it should take an hour to level up, meaning you have to play this game a whole 100 hours + story time to reach the limits of the game.  I didn't want this game to end as prematurely as the original, so that was very purposeful.

Rest assured, I want my game to be enjoyable and great.  Actually, I consider it both of those already, but it's not going to be perfect.  Your exaggerations, however, are lies, and telling me the truth will make things better for both of us.  We can all get heated about things, but let's just have fun when it comes to games.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:29:07 am by creeperton »

Gogo13

• View Profile
Sorry, I don't know what padding means and don't know how to port it to GBA.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Padding means stretching something out with artificial means. I guess in your case he means the leveling up thing.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:01 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:29:22 am by creeperton »