News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!  (Read 14788 times)

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:43:32 pm »
Yes.

I, The Komrade, am entirely responsible for this mod.  You have my permission to post this patch on your site under the condition that you include this readme along with the zipped copy of the patch, and that you do not edit this readme in any way.  That’s all.  Just give me the credit!

Ahaha! That's good thinking!

Now that you're ignoring the wishes of the ROM hackers, though, you should probably consider editing the disclaimer at the bottom of every page to clarify that anything in the readme supersedes all future good-faith requests.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star II Remakes!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
From what I understand, 'The Kromede' is no longer accessible via e-mail and doesn't hang out on that 'PSCave' site anymore.  I remember reading somewhere in one of the threads he posted in promoting his romhacks that he was 'quitting the scene' or some such.
So thanks for putting the romhacks back up, and I'll just go ahead and make a new 'PS2 discussion' thread just to keep things tidy.

EDIT:

Spoiler:
Really late edit several years later hooray!
Just wanted to say that it isn't 'ignoring the wishes of the ROM Hacker' if we go by what the readme in their release says.
Once you release something under a permissive license, you can no longer rescind that license for THAT version.
This applies for both ROM hacks and software in general.
You released something as GPL or LGPL?  There are no 'takebacks'; deal with it.
If 'The Kromede' was still making hacks and wanted to make another minor version update with a new more restrictive license then they are more than welcome to do so.  Considering that they're gone and inaccessible I doubt they would care enough to bother with any of this.

It is better for the community that there are mirrors of good hacks not just on one website but multiple ones.
If you severely restrict your reach then you end up with ROM hacks that are gone; forever poofed in the ether of some old GeoCities page that no longer exists.
Web Archive doesn't archive downloads so you have to HOPE someone kept a backup copy somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:55:20 pm by obscurumlux01 »