News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How can I translate Phoenix Wright-Ace Attorney?I really need help  (Read 57755 times)

Kion

• View Profile
The deal is this: I want to translate Phoenix Wright-Ace Attorney.
To translate, was using PWSE(Phoenix Wright Script Editor),removing the mes_all.bin scripts and turning them into a txt file.
After translation, I converted the txt file to a bin file with gbalzss.exe and I put the scripts right back into the file mes_all.bin.
But when I tested the game, I discovered that it crashes in that it translated.
I await help guys  ;)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: How can I translate Phoenix Wright-Ace Attorney?I really need help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:00 pm »
There was another thread about this at http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11720.msg173068.html .  Unfortunately there is no solution there either, but maybe it will give you some ideas.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Kion

• View Profile
How can I translate Phoenix Wright-Ace Attorney?I really need help
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Well, since there is no way to translate Phoenix Wright using PWSE,how to translate using another program or HEX EDITOR? :-\

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:48 am »
If u can create your own programs...yes. In PWSE u have the source codes and what u need is the opposite of what those do because all the serie is compressed and "crypted".
An hex editor alone will not really be very usefull and make the work VERY SLOW to not say impossible.
A little question so by side...why all the newbie want to start to work with the most difficult games to hack??
The fact that u can find so many translations that died one after the other ( i think none was ever finished 100%; not for the GBA, not for the NDS, not for WiiWare, not for PC and probably not for the Mobile) in the various languages, should be a sign that this game (and all the serie) requires alot of work and patience
Anyway...i am not 100% sure but i think that with mixing the various programs that u can find on the net, a translation should be possible if u are ready to translate about 1.7MB of script (for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations), all the evidence boxes (graphic and text modification needed) and all the graphics and font modifications necessary.

PS: The new instance of the the serie "逆転検事2 オリジナル・サウンドトラック" (Gyakuten Kenji 2 / Ace Attorney Investigations 2) has a funny "copy protection":
the un-patched version will show only those icons from that foregner language (i forgot how it's called) from the other game at the place of the text and only "XXXXXXXXX" in the evidence boxes lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:23:55 am by Auryn »

Kion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:10:42 am »
The problem is not the patience, patience I have to translate the game, I do not have programs to translate the game. :(
:D

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »
Not to be bad guy or doubt your intelligence but if u are looking for a game to translate with all the tools to do so...u better look for another game to translate.
This game is too complicated and the tool incomplete for u to work especially is u don't have programming skills to complete the tools.
Check the utility section in RH.net to see what games have tools to let u work (chrono trigger/final fantasy/mario/megaman etc..) even if some are complicated games too, but u find all the tool to change what ever u want.

About PWSE: it's a good tool but missing some fine tuning and probably incomplete. If u compare a dump of PWSE:
  • <noop><speed:1><soundtoggle:0><5D:1><color:2>Save<color:0>

cleared stage data<b>up to this point?<color:0><5D:0><speed:255>
<soundtoggle:1><45><endjmp>
[1]<noop><speed:1><soundtoggle:0>
<5D:1><color:2>Save<color:0> game and<b><color:2>suspend<color:0>
 play?<color:0><5D:0><speed:255><soundtoggle:1><45><endjmp>
[2]<noop>
<speed:1><soundtoggle:0><5D:1><b>Select an episode.<5D:0><speed:255>
<soundtoggle:1><45><endjmp>

to some other tools in the net that have auto spacing, auto line break and a dump look like this:

@PTR21

<noop><testimony_box ac 0><person a 0 0><bg 3><name 300><54 0 1><hidetextbox 0>
<person a 238 0>
%3カゼゴロシ・Zは、この2・3日<b>ずっと飲んでいたんですけど‥‥%0
[]
<special_jmp><endjmp>

@PTR22

<noop><testimony_box ad 0><person a 0 0><bg 3><name 300><54 0 1><hidetextbox 0>
<person a 238 0>
%3事件のあった日のおヒルごはんの<b>ときから、なくなっちゃって。%0
[]
<special_jmp><endjmp>

where u just can insert the translation in the [] without touching the original text or code and the text to translate is much easier to see, u understand that PWSE is maybe the best choice to work with.

A combination of this 2 tools, would be perfect but saddly they are for different systems, work in different ways and the guys working on this tools had 2 different ways to work/think but saddly both stopped working on it.

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:26 pm »
The problem is not the patience, patience I have to translate the game, I do not have programs to translate the game. :(
:D

Well, my advice is, since you have you have the patience to translate, is posting at the help wanted ads on this site. Maybe someone is willing to do the hacking part.

-C_CliFF

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »
The problem Cliff is that in this serie the hacking is maybe 50% or more of the work.
Even if somebody will reverse the python script that is behind PWSE (thing that can be done very quickly  by somebody that know python language well) to convert .txt > .bin, there is so much more hacking to do (all the fonts, graphics, evidence box text and maybe even animations etc...) that can't be handled by PWSE (if i remember well) because they are compressed and encrypted as well but in other ways.

February 06, 2011, 12:40:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
:angel: No comment  :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5spu93D3uMY
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:40:43 am by Auryn »

Kion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »
The problem Cliff is that in this serie the hacking is maybe 50% or more of the work.
Even if somebody will reverse the python script that is behind PWSE (thing that can be done very quickly  by somebody that know python language well) to convert .txt > .bin, there is so much more hacking to do (all the fonts, graphics, evidence box text and maybe even animations etc...) that can't be handled by PWSE (if i remember well) because they are compressed and encrypted as well but in other ways.

February 06, 2011, 12:40:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
:angel: No comment  :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5spu93D3uMY
How were you able to edit PWSE, tell me what programs you used to format text.
I just want to know how to translate the game text to Portuguese (or change the text, like you in the video).
As for graphics, well, I know how to edit them.
I just want to know how you edited the text and the game did not freeze in the part that you edited.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 11:23:47 pm »
I don't suppose the old "Comeback Courtroom 3" tools are of any more use than PWSE?
http://comebackcourt.sourceforge.net/
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:09 am »
@KION: well, it's looking like i have more patience than u :p
I spend 3 days trying and searching the net for informations and actually found even more project (translations or tools) on this series that died over the time (the one mentioned by Jorpho being one of them).
This made me think that there have to be something wrong with this serie but i still can't get an idea why it's like this.
I belive the pieces/tools and informations to translate/modify or even create new stories are all around the net but each project using a different tables and have different pieces of the puzzle.
I am willing to try to put together this puzzle and clean up the mess around this series but saddly i don't have programming skills to correct/create the right tools.
As how i edited/created that video...It was all with PWSE!! I will not say how i have done it yet because I am not sure if it's possible to rebuild all the game like i made that part (I insered only script-00.txt or script-01.txt).
I give u an hit...get the "tutorial" to work in an emulator and not forget that PWSE was actually programmed for PW2 (for the tutorial) but can then be used for extract text from all games of the series (not tested with the last 2 games).
An invalid call will crash the game!!
If with your work, u got to the point where u got 78 txt, didn't u notice something strange??
NB: get yourself some knowledge about the control codes mixed with the text is not a bad idea either :p

@Jorpho: Those tools are for the GBA version and they are made to work with japanese encoding and would need adaptations to use with the usa version of the game. They are very well done. Actually there was a project a while ago to inject the english nds text to the gba version. This project is still in my mind and if i can get a little bit of order in all this puzzle of informations, i will maybe come back to use those programs and translate/inject english to the gba versions.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:26:10 am by Auryn »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »
@Jorpho: Those tools are for the GBA version and they are made to work with japanese encoding and would need adaptations to use with the usa version of the game. They are very well done.
Well, are there any significant differences between the Japanese and English versions aside from the script?  If not, then I don't see what difference it would make between inserting Portuguese text into the Japanese version instead of Portuguese text into the English version.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »
Kion want to translate the NDS version and not the GBA version.

Yes, there are technical or contenet differences between the 2 versions.

February 08, 2011, 07:00:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Kion..why u are so shy?? Why u didn't tell us that u are part of this Phoenix Wright parody?? hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1XZLLnzBfo

================================================================================
How deep i have fallen in the rabbit hole??
Aparently far enougth to make a site about PW technical stuff.
Byte by byte the work is going on so enjoy and visit often :p
http://auryn.20m.com

February 10, 2011, 12:22:16 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just stopping by to say " site updated and slowly but sure the traditional way to translate this game is becoming real".  :crazy:

February 10, 2011, 02:35:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Updated my site again with a new document.

Strange that this topic has become so quiet....everybody dead?? No interest in my work??
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:35:25 pm by Auryn »

Kion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:06:26 am »
Thanks for trying to help me, thanks a lot man, I'm reading all the rtf.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
It's not only to help u that i do this but because i wanted to translate that game myself longtime ago but in the last 2 years so many people try to start a translation in any language and i belive none has got even a beta relaise.

Anyway good to know somebody read my documents.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 10:23:43 am »
Yes, there are technical or contenet differences between the 2 versions.
It's often interesting to see what sort of changes these games go through.  Is there a page about the changes somewhere?

Kion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 12:18:06 pm »
Auryn You said in your document to edit the text in the video on Youtube you replaced tutorial.txt by script01.txt.You said that I  and others were wondering if this means can translate the entire game.You said MAYBE.But now some tests here I discovered that you can edit the text of the entire game just by changing what is inside the config.py in tutorial.zip.There you have a line that says:
scripts = {'tutorial.txt': 1}
Now to edit the whole game just change the number 1 to the number of the script (not 01,02,03). As noted every two scripts can be converted to a txt.Each script.txt corresponds to a stage (not to a chapter). The number you should change should look like:
script-01.bin = number 1
script-03.bin = number 2

Got it? I'm starting to translate the texts I intend to finish in a three months.Even more and thanks for the help because if you had not helped me could not have come to this conclusion above.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »
If everything in this world would be so easy as u think Kion, we don't need war anymore :p
What u are talking about will be in the chapter "Chain scripts". I am happy u have done some work by yourself but maybe u should calm down and take a deep breath...3...2...1...OK.
Ask yourself, if it's so easy why nobody ever finish any of the translation??

Let me start this with some questions that maybe u can answer me because i wrote clear in that document about this "pieces":

1) why u can convert only every second file to txt??
2) what is inside those pieces that u can't  convert??
3) can u just forget about them and loose nothing in the game??

more general questions:

4) how u know what is the right sequence of script to put in that in config.py
5) how this sequence affect ANY jump inside of your script???
6) u say that each script is a stage..did u ever took a look at the script 50 up??

there are scripts that end just in middle of the phrase or just finish with a sequence of "unknow" numbers.
and lest but not last, (i think this is the most important question)

7) why after u created a chain of scripts, PWSE can't extract anything from the new rom??

I made xx new roms to test many things about this game and one of my last try was exactly chaining the script and by accident, i think i used a modified script-01 (the one from the video) and because i don't work with savegames to check the sequence at this early stage of the test, i played all the first trial again and everything went ok till after Larry leave and Mia tell u about the importance of evidences. Just in between there, the game played a part of the intro again to then continue normally to the second trial.

I can't stop u by starting your translation but u think that there are many unanswered questions to clear before I would start it.

I just give u an hint about what i think is the right way to chain and how PWSE work.
To create all those bins, PWSE probably go to read a set of pointer somewhere and then decompress or split mes_all.bin into pieces.
From the names of the scripts, we can deduce that PWSE start count with "0".
What i think PWSE do when u insert a chain of scripts, it check the number u give him (example script-a.txt:3) he will read the number "3" go to take the 3th pointer in the pointer table and inject the file script-a overwriting everything till all the script-a is inside the new mes_all.bin.
This suggest me that the way u should chain in config.py is not your way but :
scripts = { 'script-01.txt' : 1 , 'script-03.txt' : 3 , 'script-05.txt' : 5}
But now here we are back to those "pieces". If your translated script-xx is bigger than the original...what happens then??
Will PWSE overwrite script-(xx+1) or even maybe invade script-(xx+2) (yes, your next block) or will it re-point everything that follows??

EDIT:
Just to support my theory about finding the right sequence of the scripts and those "pieces":
With the same base scripts u get:

scripts = { 'script-01.txt' : 0 , 'script-03.txt' : 2} > new rom 54.6 MB (57'261'900 bytes)

scripts = { 'script-01.txt' : 1 , 'script-03.txt' : 3} > new rom 54.5 MB (57'206'092 bytes)

scripts = { 'script-01.txt' : 1 , 'script-03.txt' : 2} > new rom 54.5 MB (57'234'764 bytes)

Still not try to play this 3 versions to see if there is some strange side effect!

The choice is yours.

February 12, 2011, 07:11:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ooopppsss Sorry Jorpho...i forgot to answer u :p

U probably already know that almost all japanese game use 2byte/for each character but in english we use only 1byte/character so the difference is at encoding level and probably in quality of the images used.
I never worked with the GBA version so i don't really know how it is programmed.
If u go to read the documentation of that site u linked in the other post, it will tell u about this and has even a patch to change the encoding for the GBA version.
This actually apply only in part to the NDS version because even the us version uses 2byte/character for english but this time it's embedded in a system of control codes with variable length.
The smallest control code is 2 bytes and 0 arguments till control codes with 4 arguments > from 2 byte till 10bytes read at time.

From the contenent part, the same apply as above, i never played the GBA and I am not fluent with japanese but what changed is sure the names and in the first case she didn't fly back from Paris but arrived back to Japan after working abroad in New York. (@KION: don't forget to change this in your translation:P).
I think there are no sites with a list of differences from what i know but u can check the 2 walkthroughs at gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/562698-gyakuten-saiban/faqs
The JIS one has only a reference of all japanese names on the game.
The EUC one has a summary of the japanese cases in english at the end.
If u remember the game well, u should find some differences sure.
Google around u can find some bits of information too about "jokes" in the japanese names.

February 13, 2011, 01:25:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just a little update before I go to sleep :thumbsup:
Kion is probably at home translating like he said and when he will see this, he will kill me for sure this time :P

Because I was tired to play the first trial again and again to check the script chain, because there are so many open questions about that chain and because i suspect that there could be a bug in PWSE, I have gone back to the traditional way to translate. With the idea in mind that what is most important in the translation is the text and all those control codes are not really important, I got this:

The <wxx> and the <sxx> between the text are the wait and speed comands that give the cadence of the text.
{} are the person saying that + the name in the text box
<red>, <white>,<cyan>,<green> are the text color.
<b> is line break and <p> is new box after button pressed.
It's probably necessary to insert the commands for the 2 and 3 choices but nothing more or we will have again the same heavy txt like the one generated by PWSE.
Doing like this, the little script-01.bin exploded from 31.3kB to 8.95MB but I think it's worth the clear view.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:25:52 am by Auryn »

A7med

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:19 am »
to convert the text back to bin just put the translated txt in the same folder alongside the other bin files then "Make a script archive from" that folder using PWSE. re-insert the mes_all.bin file and the game will work without crashing. just make sure the directory in which the script files are located doesn't have any spaces in it or you won't be able to make the mes_all.bin.

the problem is I can't find the text for the Court Record items description. does anyone know where can I find it?

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:16 pm »
Hi A7med
I still aven't checked for the graphics of the game but checking the similarity of the GBA and NDS version of the game, my guess would be that those are pure images and not text.

Extracted from the translation notes of Gyakuten Saiban 3 GBA:
0019a870 (19%) [P]: LZ77 compressed.
       Text alongside evidence/character pictures.
      Despite appearances, this is not text rendered on the
                fly, but in fact pre-built images.
001CF260 (22%) [A]: LZ77 compressed.
                The little photos of people and evidence.

and this probably in the data.bin.

Thanks for the hint about the txt>bin.... it works but with a little correction... IT DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE ANY SPACES IN THE PATH and not only in that directory.