News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: AGTP almost done with Hourai High  (Read 5970 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: AGTP almost done with Hourai High
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:00:05 pm »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Aeon Genesis has updated their website with news of the impending release of Hourai Gakuen no Bouken, AKA The Adventure of Hourai High. A couple dozen new screenshots have been added to the project page at AGTP, and an article showcasing twenty before-and-after comparisons has also been created. Keep your fingers crossed for a speedy resolution to the playtesting process!

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Translations: AGTP almost done with Hourai High
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:40:57 am »
Looks real nice Gid! I like the two column to single item list conversion. I wanted to do that with Wozz, but never did after I soured on repeat menu work from RPGOne partnership failure. There's always the future though.

This a good example of rearranging the menus in smart ways to avoid the mess of 8x8 'VWFing' every little thing, which really can be a pain to manage, not possible in all cases, and can still come out cramped looking. I like it! But, I imagine doing so on all those screens still took a hefty time toll. ;)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:00:54 am »
You wouldn't even believe :/ About a third of the menu strings are constructed dynamically in RAM, which was a pain in the ass to redo. Another rough third were packed with dummy control code parameters and transferred to RAM at runtime, where the the dummy parameters were later overwritten via hardcoded STA commands. If the corresponding control code wasn't in *exactly* the right place, the new parameter values got written to the wrong spot and the game crashed. Lots of really nasty stuff :/

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »
Sort of remids me about ToP's funky menu system. Namco didn't bother to create real special characters for specific tasks and let the code overwrite parts of the string as necessary. Horrid and painful to change, but hey, it's a nice way to protect data.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »
You wouldn't even believe :/ About a third of the menu strings are constructed dynamically in RAM, which was a pain in the ass to redo. Another rough third were packed with dummy control code parameters and transferred to RAM at runtime, where the the dummy parameters were later overwritten via hardcoded STA commands. If the corresponding control code wasn't in *exactly* the right place, the new parameter values got written to the wrong spot and the game crashed. Lots of really nasty stuff :/

I can see how that would be confusing if you were expecting it to make sense. Never expect rationality where money is involved.

Did you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one?

Arcane Studios Dredge

• Aspiring Romhacker of the Bloodline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:39:22 am »
Really nice.  I can't wait for that.
We've gotta move these refrigerators,
We've gotta move these colour TV's!

SirRob

• I Live To Game
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:29 pm »
Looking very well polished and professionally done, another translation by AGTP that I can't wait for. :thumbsup: