News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wily's Toolbox - Editor for Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)  (Read 8478 times)

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
Wily's Toolbox - Editor for Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
Current version: Wily's Toolbox v0.5.1

Download: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/wily/WilysToolbox-v051.rar

Usage: Start the program, load a ROM and edit away! Levels are selected via the menu, toolbar or F-keys, segments (each level has a few, basically stretching between the respawn points - you'll see when you use the program) and individual rooms in those via menu or F-keys.

Switch the editing mode to either edit the map or the objects; "drawing" maps works like in any paint program, select a block to draw either from the palette on the right, or by right-clicking on the map itself, then draw that onto the map by using the left mouse button. Objects are selected and dragged around by using the left button; a panel that allows changing of which object is selected, and that object's type and variable appears over the block palette when in object mode.

Display of collision/solidity can be switched on and off, and while technically the game appears to set what which collision type does per level, blue generally marks open space, green are solid blocks, yellow half-height solid blocks (meaning if there's empty space next to Mega Man, and a full-solid block above, you can't move there, if the block above is half-height, you can) and red insta-kill blocks (= spikes, which don't work in Cutman's stage, and are the reason why I believe this is level-dependant).

The game properties window, accessible by menu or toolbar, allows changing of both object and weapon properties; like an enemy's health, or a weapon's inflicted damage. Quite a bit of data there is still not yet fully understood, like of course the "unknown"s and "flags" - the latter determine, in the case of an object, ex. if it's soild. Also I don't yet know which weapon is which, besides the very first, which is the Mega Buster, so you'll need to experiment to see if you're editing the Rolling Cutter or whatever else. The last one might be the Time Stopper, seeing how it's damage is set to 0.

That's about all in terms of documentation at the moment, as I haven't written a proper Readme or anything yet - that thus makes the "Documentation" menu entry under "Help" useless for now, sorry :P

(Original first post below...)

http://i.imgur.com/3BjaS.png
http://i.imgur.com/xO8UE.png

I guess the thread subject and screenshots already say most of what I could say at this point :P  Anyway, this is an editor for Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for the Game Boy, called Wily's Toolbox. It's written in C# - a first for me, ignoring some minor experiments - and still a work-in-progress, but already capable of simple level editing for the four regular levels. There's also a bunch of bugs still, which is why I'm not providing a download yet (hopefully soon), and it's still missing some features I'd like to get in prior to release. Also, if anyone has any kind of documentation about this game, feel free to throw it my way - I've been researching and coding this on my own so far, and while I've figured out much of ex. the level format, things like sprite animation or how/where level segments connect to each other are still a mystery.

Ah, and finally, here's how the above looks in-game:

http://i.imgur.com/i8RHQ.png
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:23:41 am by xdaniel »
cu xdaniel

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
Re: Wily's Toolbox - Editor for Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:08:45 am »
sounds very cool, dude, froma a rockman fan.  :beer:

RT-55J

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »
I tried hacking this game a couple years ago, but didn't get very far. You can read some of my (possibly inaccurate) notes here, though judging by those screenshots it looks like you don't really need them.

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:32:42 am »
RT-55J: They're, for the most part, not as inaccurate as you may think - also, they gave me the starting point to look at for how room exits/entrances work. Still haven't figured them out all the way yet, but that's hopefully just a matter of time. So, thanks for the notes! :D

Also, two new screenshots, showing optional collision highlighting and some graphical gimmicks to make the UI nicer (ex. map/objects fade out in the opposite editing mode):

EDIT: Incomplete object properties editor:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:44:32 pm by xdaniel »
cu xdaniel

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:45 am »
Bumping this because of v0.5.1 being released a few days ago, see first post, and a few new screenshots of features not yet public. Hope that's okay.

Here's what the disabled menu entry "Show structure" is supposed to show once it's done - a representation of the current level in tree form. It's not yet showing objects, doesn't allow editing (not sure if I'll even implement that) and has a few bugs, so it's still a while off.

Block editor is nearly done, although the UI isn't exactly pretty and it still has some visual bugs.

Also interesting is the level-specific ASM code, which is responsible for things like conveyor belts or insta-kill spikes. It's pretty easy to make blocks with custom behaviours that way, as long as you know your way around GBZ80 assembler somewhat - like a block that, when stepping onto it, turns Mega Man invincible for a few seconds, by manually setting the invincibility counter in RAM that's used after being hit by an enemy.
cu xdaniel

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:29 am »
awesome.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:47 am »
looks epic xdaniel :thumbsup:

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:24:27 am »
Awesome. I hope you will have 2-5 editors as well. Keep up the good work! Maybe Rockman & Forte SFC editor, anybody ? :P

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:02 am »
Naruto: If 2-5 are anything like Wily's Revenge, adding support for them should be easy - haven't looked into them, tho, so I don't know yet. Rockman & Forte might be interesting, but I don't really know much about the SNES/SFC and such, so... anyone else? :P

As for Wily's Toolbox, I've been working on something else the past week or so, but I'll be back to this here over the weekend or so.
cu xdaniel

RT-55J

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »
3-5 appear to use the same engine as this game, but 2 was farmed off to another developer and uses a different engine (which is why it sucks :P ).

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »
RT-55J: Yeah, 2 has been made by someone else, that's for sure... Hell, recoil damage to Mega Man is already quite different, so I'm not gonna look into it any further for now :P  As for the others, I believe I've found the level headers in 3 (made the first stage a row smaller than normal, which made Mega Man spawn to his death), but I didn't get to work on it much yet.
cu xdaniel

Zieldak

• View Profile
    • Zieldak's Domain
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:26 am »
Well, is there any progress on this editor, or you stopped working on it? Those features look nice, I would like to get a newer version of this emulator EDITOR if it's possible. (Fixing this word took me 4 years.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:56:03 pm by Zieldak »
I can't use that signature here, huh...