News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 PuzzleDudes Quest  (Read 11994 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda3 PuzzleDudes Quest
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:41:08 am »

Update By: puzzledude

I started to remodel the original Zelda A Link to the Past game a long time ago.
Unlike Goddess of Wisdom this is a modification, but despite that
the dungeons are quite different to solve with a lot of new tricks and hidden
objects.

I was concentrating to change the gameplay as much as possible, so even a veteran
of the game can easily get stuck. The game is also more difficult than the original,
but still quite easy at some points. Despite the fact that this is a remodel,
it still took a lot of work, specially because of the number of the dungeons.
The overworld, however, is less modified, but there are a lot of barriers, that
will force you to search for the correct path. A smart player will quickly see,
that this is much more than just another vapid master quest.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/703/)

MKnightDH

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 PuzzleDudes Quest
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »
Can't apply to a clean rom. IPS patch needs to be fixed.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:10 am »
The only rom compatible with this ips is this one
   Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (U) [!]
   Date of last change: August 23rd 2004
   Size: 1.024 KB

Patching to any other rom won't work (even if only the size is different).

You must also use the ZSnes emulator for Windows in order to play normally.
All other emulators for consoles and other platforms are untested.

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »
So what you are saying is that I shouldn't even bother playing this game, because you know it will not work on a real system?

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:03:51 am »
works fine for me. lots of exploring. i like so far.
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:23 am »
I plaied the game on DS emulator and PSP emulator. On DS there were multiple bugs,
that are not in the game's data. There were a lot of false displaies. The game works
fine only if you have a good emulator for your platform.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:32 am »
From the IRC channel:

<kode54> http://kode54.foobar2000.org/%5b703%5dZelda3%20-%20PuzzleDudes%20Quest%20v1-0%20new.zip repackaged hack
<kode54> rather, redone a bit
<kode54> I padded the ROM to 2MB with 0xFFs, and also increased the ROM size field in the header
<kode54> since the stupid Hyrule Magic tool increased the ROM size by 0xF16 bytes for some unknown reason
<kode54> and the data it added appeared to be important for something, so I left it instead of truncating it
<kode54> I also removed the 512 byte header when making the resulting xdelta/vcdiff patch
<kode54> 70KB instead of nearly 800KB for IPS
<kode54> his directions also don't mention that it expects a headered ROM
<kode54> it says "1.024 KB"
<kode54> padding the ROM to 16mbit and removing the header fixed it in bsnes
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

MKnightDH

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »
Okay, that graphics glitch still exists, but it's possible to get past that. Still, it happens on SNES9X GX.

I'm streaming the ROM hack right now on JustinTV (username is mknightdh) and so far, well, I'll provide spoiler tags to provide what I think. I got 2 Pendants and
Spoiler:
the Book of Mudora
as of this writing.

Spoiler:
*Early on, you're Red Soldier happy. Seriously, FOUR hits per enemy with the poor AI? Seriously, they get boring before reaching Kakariko Village. There could stand to be some distance attackers in their ranks.
*I don't know why remove that soldier on top of the castle walls. He was an interesting case of a Tear Jerker.
*5 invetory items already when Princess Zelda is rescued? I'm sold.
*There's a cheaply placed enemy at the south entrance of the screen just west of Link's house. If you walk into the screen from the middle of the south entrance, you easily touch the Red Soldier and consequently cheaped out of a full heart.
*Wow, the Boomerang is a dungeon item and it actually has use. Yay.
*Invisible pieces of the puzzles. Ho boy. I'm not sure about this. At least isn't too bad...so far.
*I'm lucky I have fought the Armos Knights without using the bow. Of course, the spikes limit the amount of room I'd have for safety.
*Interesting having to maneuver around Moldorm to get the Book of Mudora. (Yes, the Tower of Hera is the second of the three pendant dungeons.) But Jesus can Moldorm get cheesed. Then again, he was a candidate for That One Boss in the original game.

Again, I'm streaming the ROM hack on my JustinTV channel. I may PW protect it if a troll attack happens. If that happens, try to contact mknightdh on Skype and be ready to prove you're not a troll.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:14:05 pm by MKnightDH »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
Nice that you are streaming this game. It is always interesting to see,
how someone solves a puzzle, that I've created.

Stream video
http://www.justin.tv/mknightdh/b/277606093

Sample video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp-xOEe_6GY

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »
MrUtoobtroll started a Walkthrough of this game on
You Tube. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts30enbeaao

February 12, 2011, 07:10:55 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I reviewed the first opinions of this game.

General Negative sides of the game, based on the user opinions:
-to much mazes in the overworld
-the lack of the dark world
-to much red soldiers at the beginning
-to difficult at the beginning but easier towards the end
-unmodified text

General Positive sides of the game, based on the user opinions:
-dark world dungeon design
-dungeon design in general
-new gameplay
-new dungeon puzzles
-no major bugs on the first release

Bugs when patched to the wrong original rom:
-Link comes to BG2 (instead of BG1) when going to the second room of the 7th
dark world dungeon. If this happens, you patched to the wrong original rom.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:10:55 am by puzzledude »

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:51 pm »
Sorry for the necro... tried PMing you but it was "blocked"

I play all roms on my iPad using SNES9x-EX, and rarely have any problems, but this hack just doesn't work.  The title screen is a bit bugged, and the Enter Your Name screen is just totally fubar-ed.  I patched to the right ROM - also tested on my computer in ZSNES and it worked fine.

...anything I can try doing to make it work?  :-\

By the way I loved your other hacks and am looking forward to playing something new.  Great job with Parallel Remodel.  Maybe I'll try the original but I've been avoiding it for fear of the difficulty lol

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:42 am »
Sorry for the necro... tried PMing you but it was "blocked"

I play all roms on my iPad using SNES9x-EX, and rarely have any problems, but this hack just doesn't work.  The title screen is a bit bugged, and the Enter Your Name screen is just totally fubar-ed.  I patched to the right ROM - also tested on my computer in ZSNES and it worked fine.

...anything I can try doing to make it work?  :-\

By the way I loved your other hacks and am looking forward to playing something new.  Great job with Parallel Remodel.  Maybe I'll try the original but I've been avoiding it for fear of the difficulty lol

Puzzledude seems to spend a little bit of time here too, but it may be easier to reach him through Zeldix.

Zeldix

Strange that it wouldn't work on your phone. I usually play it on a real SNES via the Powerpak with no issues. There are a few Zelda 3 hacks with the menu bugged, to get around that I usually open an unpatched ROM in ZSNES, name my character and then copy the save that ZSNES made (.srm) onto my Powerpak. You could try that.

This may be unrealted, but when opening a patched ROM up in a hex editor I noticed there were an extra 200 hex bytes (I hope I'm using the right terms here) at the beginning that I believe shouldn't be there. As far as I know it's not a header or anything. I could be confused though. I hope Puzzledude sees this and fills me in on that area of the ROM. Could just be a Hyrule Magic bug, I know the menu bug is.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 06:24:46 am »

...anything I can try doing to make it work?

By the way I loved your other hacks and am looking forward to playing something new.  Great job with Parallel Remodel.  Maybe I'll try the original but I've been avoiding it for fear of the difficulty lol.

Strange that it wouldn't work on your phone. I usually play it on a real SNES via the Powerpak with no issues. There are a few Zelda 3 hacks with the menu bugged, to get around that I usually open an unpatched ROM in ZSNES, name my character and then copy the save that ZSNES made (.srm) onto my Powerpak. You could try that.

This may be unrealted, but when opening a patched ROM up in a hex editor I noticed there were an extra 200 hex bytes (I hope I'm using the right terms here) at the beginning that I believe shouldn't be there. As far as I know it's not a header or anything. I could be confused though. I hope Puzzledude sees this and fills me in on that area of the ROM. Could just be a Hyrule Magic bug, I know the menu bug is.

I was a rookie at the time and did not know how to fix certain things. But it is easy to fix the menu. The problem is the file-size (ortodox 1.027kB). This is just a little over the 1MB (1.024= or exactly FFFFF in hex with no header).

After you patch the rom, you need to open it in hex. First erase the initial 200 bytes (header) to work easier, then go to the end of the rom and insert 100000 bytes with the value 00. Then go to exactly 200000 and erase everything above. The file-size will then end with 1FFFFF or exactly 2MB, should be 2.048kB in explorer.

I can also post such an IPS (as unofficial release).

The ZSNES emulator is the only one, who can display the title and naming screen correctly if the file-size is not »even«. All other emulators will display it wrong.
But there is a way around it. Once you are in the glitched naming screen, press A + start to have the name G.

The rom is otherwise also quite affected, but through testing I could fix all major glitches, some small ones still remain (like some false warps in the Triforce shrine etc).

PS
I'm bringing out the »God mode« and the »Byrna mode« small hacks for Parallel Worlds and Goddess of Wisdom to encourage players to at least »see« both games and enjoy some casual playing rather then to suffer.

PPS
Those 200 bytes at the beginning of the rom actually are the header. It is not necessary to remove it. This data has no effect on the game. It only shifts all the data by 200. This means if you decide to keep the header, your file must then end at 2001FF (header+2MB), so that the core is 1FFFFF big (2MB).

March 27, 2015, 08:53:04 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
There you go:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/0hif30e3xr77pmn/PD_Quest_2MB_%28CC2500AA%29.ips?dl=0

Patch this IPS to Original Alttp, US version with No header. The CRC-32 of the original should be 777AAC2F and after you patch, the CRC-32 should be CC2500AA and the file will auto expand to 2MB. Most of the additional megabyte are 00 bytes (empty) though. Both (the original and patched) files are now headerless.

You can use this great hash calculator by Snarfblam to verify the CRC:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:53:46 am by puzzledude »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 02:02:11 pm »
Awesome. I kept wondering about this. About a day before altoiddealer made his post I started investigating the patched ROM because things like the Pegasus upgrade patch weren't working (among other things). After I noticed that the patch for PD's Quest was so large I started to wonder if the data had been shifted (because I knew the changes weren't drastic enough to warrant so much data being altered). Tush said the patched ROM didn't have a header (may have been an error), so that's why I assumed the extra bit of data at the beginning was something else (even if it was the proper size for a header). I had even started to wonder if it was something you threw in there as a clever way to make other people's patches incompatible. LOL

So anyway, I expanded a clean ROM to 2MB, patched it, deleted the first 200 bytes (which I thought was the result of some sort of error) and then made a new patch to see if what I had suspected was true. It was! The new patch was 389 kb just like the new one you just posted. I didn't want to post the patch I made because it wasn't my game and because I really only made it for testing purposes. Also, I kept waiting for someone to come along and say "No SGP. You've got it all wrong. HAHAHAHA! Loser..." LOL

So, Puzz... Will there ever be any more updates to PD's Quest or is this game completely finished? The only issues I'm having with it now are that on this playthrough I cannot for the life of me remember where the Book of Mudora was placed. Don't give me any hints though. hehe Gotta figure it out on my own.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 02:59:12 pm »
Tush said the patched ROM didn't have a header.
That's a mistake by Tush then. The patched (original release) rom obviously has a header.

I had even started to wonder if it was something you threw in there as a clever way to make other people's patches incompatible.
The patches are incompatible because of the shift of data (as a result of the header). Usually all patches and addresses are given on a non-headered rom (since this is the actual address).

So anyway, I expanded a clean ROM to 2MB, patched it, deleted the first 200 bytes (which I thought was the result of some sort of error) and then made a new patch to see if what I had suspected was true. It was! The new patch was 389 kb just like the new one you just posted.
Nice work, but... your patch is still not the same as mine (you can hex-compare both patches to be sure if they are the same or not). You need to patch first (no need to expand a clean rom, since this action is NOPed out after patching). Once you have the patched rom (ie a hack), you need to remove the header and expand it to 2MB. You now need to make an IPS using the original Alttp with 1MB and a hack with 2MB (IPS will be small due to the hack having the second MB filled mostly with 00 bytes). Then you should get my IPS above. So the patching will then take care for auto-expansion.

If you expand the original to 2MB and have a hack with 2MB, and then make an IPS, users will also need to expand before patching. PS Try to patch SMW The legend continues by Fusoya to test this method (expand+patch).
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/11/

So, Puzz... Will there ever be any more updates to PD's Quest or is this game completely finished?
No, I finished this game in 2011. I will not touch something that's been finished 4 years ago. And any change might cause bugs (so a lot of testing would be needed if anything is changed).

The only issues I'm having with it now are that on this playthrough I cannot for the life of me remember where the Book of Mudora was placed. Don't give me any hints though. hehe Gotta figure it out on my own.
Not a hint: in original Alttp the Book was in the village. You just needed to knock it of the shelf with the Pegasus shoes. But the Book is now missing from the shelf.....And Sahasrahla is lost....

You just need to think ouside of the frame (basically explore anything that you can reach with current items).

If you get further stuck and simply can not continue (some puzzles can be "diabolicly" difficult for someone who hasn't at least also finished Goddess of Wisdom), there is Let's Play of the entire game on You tube somewhere.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:09:48 pm by puzzledude »

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME  ;D

I'll be trying this out later tonight, will let you know if I have any issues.

As for the other modes you plan on introducing, is the one for the original Parallel Worlds? Or the Remodel?

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:15:07 pm »
As for the other modes you plan on introducing, is the one for the original Parallel Worlds? Or the Remodel?
Those minor hacks, such as God mode, can be patched to any Alttp hack. But obviously PW needs it the most. You can patch it to Remodel as well if you wish. I just need to sort some things out before releasing.

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »
The IPS you posted did the trick, no issues now   :beer:

Very happy, have been looking forward to trying this one out

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:23:25 pm »
That's a mistake by Tush then. The patched (original release) rom obviously has a header.

Yeah I'm not sure what was going on there, but since it wasn't giving me what I wanted that's when I decided to open up the hex editor. It said the ROM was corrupted (which I guess is technically true).

No, I finished this game in 2011. I will not touch something that's been finished 4 years ago. And any change might cause bugs (so a lot of testing would be needed if anything is changed).

I can understand that and a few weeks ago in another conversation I recall you saying something to the effect of "If you open it up in Hyrule Magic you can see that it barely survived the remodel".

If you get further stuck and simply can not continue (some puzzles can be "diabolicly" difficult for someone who hasn't at least also finished Goddess of Wisdom), there is Let's Play of the entire game on You tube somewhere.

I'll figure it out before I go that route. For some reason when I replay games like this I might find something really easy the first go 'round. Then later when I start over, only being somewhat familiar with the game becomes more confusing than helpful. I won't give up so easily. Walkthroughs are for babies. I'm a bad enough dude to rescue the President... Er.. Princess.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:33:16 pm by SunGodPortal »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:18 am »
As for the other modes you plan on introducing...
If you are interested in the god mode or byrna hack. They were also submited to this site.
http://www.zeldix.net/t696-the-legend-of-zelda-god-mode

I'm a bad enough dude to rescue the President... Er.. Princess.
Nice... and the upper hacks were designed in case someone is not a bad enough dude to beat very difficult Alttp hacks, specially Parallel Worlds.