News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Transcorp: The Group That Flexes  (Read 7817 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Transcorp: The Group That Flexes
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

Update By: RedComet

Nightcrawler posted some new information back in late December concerning the progress of Heracles IV, the new table standard being developed, and his new custom text dumper that is going to strong arm its way through the competition.

Heracles is moving right along and I've got to say, it's looking very nice thus far. A consensus amongst the community seems to have been reached concerning the new table standard, and the tentatively titled TextAble is going to make my own Cartographer look very bad in the near future. I could not be happier.

Click the link for a more serious burn and some righteous pump action. There's also a lot of puns. :p

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://transcorp.parodius.com/)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Translations: Transcorp: The Group That Flexes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:30 am »
Moar Gemini Font™ love. :3
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »
Did I get that font from you? I couldn't remember. It doesn't seem to be in the FONT ARCHIVE. I think I modified a few letters. My memory is foggy.

I started using it on the Tenshi No Uta menus, where I liked it very much. Do you think it looks good in this game as well? It's a tad short leaving too much space between lines for me. However, a number of people have expressed they think it looks good here too, so I may end up using it. I've never been accused of having good artistic taste.  :D
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:13:24 pm »
I think it looks great, I'd reduce the width of the space though, it looks a bit broken up at the moment. :thumbsup:

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:29:17 pm »
Yes, well there is a double space or two in there (see 'been  possessed' in the first image). Some inserter/in-game auto formatting glitches exist.

I believe the average pixel width is 5 for the characters and my space is set at 5 right now. Isn't that a general rule of thumb?
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
Thin fonts generally use 3 or 4 pixels for spaces. For that font, 3 is the recommended width.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »
The general rule of thumb for spaces (the ideal actually varies from font to font) is to make it take up about the same width as a (maybe a little fat) ‘i’ or a thin ‘n’.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »
Now that I think about it, I only used this font for the menus in Tenshi. I have no special love for 5.  I did some testing. I can certainly change it to 4. I think 3 is probably a little aggressive for my liking though.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:25 pm »
So happy to be a part of this translation work. I'm in love with Glory of Heracles series. (Well not so much the DS one)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:10:51 am »
Another great data east game.

keep up the good work :beer:
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:00:31 pm »
So happy to be a part of this translation work. I'm in love with Glory of Heracles series. (Well not so much the DS one)
Seconded 100%, except for the part about being part of the translation work  ;) The later portion of Glory of Heracles 3 really blew my mind when I played it last year, something which very few RPGs can do now that I've played so/too many of them. I liked it enough that it sparked a previously nonexistant interest in Greek & Persian mythology and history. Yes, its mechanics are similar to another favorite, Dragon Quest--which was just the standard for RPGs at the time, anyway--but it's much more than just a "clone", it's actually one of the most interesting JRPG series out there (though the first one is a bit too slow and primitive for me).
Anyway, looking forward to this pretty much more than any other translation project out there, and the font is elegant/readable.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:02 am »
I'm in love with the font, wherever he got it  ;)
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:17 pm »
I suppose we may as well make that font official then. I didn't know it would be such a success. I still need to run a test on my CRT TV and make sure I can still read it well there.

I'd make some better screenshots, but I've found English that both exceeds the maximum string length, and maximum block length. Breaks block/string allocations in RAM and single byte counting/loop variables everywhere. Fun times working on figuring out the smartest way to remedy the situation. :)  This game loves to do everything from RAM and use 8-bit maximum values. :(