News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ancient Magic Translation Release  (Read 13749 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ancient Magic Translation Release
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:45:01 am »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Aeon Genesis has released a complete translation for the SNES RPG "Ancient Magic". A godawful amount of work went into this, probably more than was worth it, but it's a fun little game in its own right. It has some minor plot malleability in some events, and the plot twists towards the end will totally throw you for a loop.

Everything's done and working, barring one (to our knowledge) tiny cosmetic bug. Enjoy!

This is just the first of hopefully three releases coming this holiday season from AGTP.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net/)

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Ancient Magic Translation Release
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:15:59 am »
Congrats on this one! :thumbsup:

A nifty little RPG here, from the screenshots it looks like fairly decent, fun and a bit generic. Well it's a '93 JRPG what was I expecting hehehe... :P

Anyways, Hot-B? Isn't this one of their brutal RPGs ain't it?

I will try this later and post up my thoughts about the game and report some bugs (if there are any) as soon as I fix my internet connection (I'm downloading a 700kb test file and loading web pages on a speed of a snail...).

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:28 am »
Cool! I'll be playing this over the next few days, for sure.

Ultimate

• RPG and Strategy Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:23:15 am »
Very Nice, I'll try it out right away ^^

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:12:00 am »
I found a small text overflow: Savestate

More to follow, sorry I got lazy hunting more problems within the patch, but I tell you guys it's really a good game! Graphics, music, gameplay and script are so far fine, its even got nice battle scenes! It gave me an instant smorgasm!

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:23:39 am »
I am really enjoying this game.  It's just the right kind of generic to work, and not annoy.
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 04:45:12 pm »
The game looks good so far.  Does anyone know what differences there are between the occupations?  Is it just the type of stat growth?

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:04 pm »
There are some (minor) script differences depending on the class. I don't believe your stats are altered in any major way.

Ultimate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:58 am »
Great game, great ending. But shitty after ending, really...they could've made something better or nothing at all. Anyways, great work AGTP.

stranno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »
My video, thanks Aeon Genesis, great work, as allways

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:11 am »
Great game, great ending. But shitty after ending, really...they could've made something better or nothing at all. Anyways, great work AGTP.
I believe there are multiple afterwards you can get...?  The plot branched slightly in a few places, so it would seem odd that nothing in the ending can be changed.

Also, I never used the Kayak.  I only discovered that you could when backtracking a bit in the underground, but didn't access anything interesting with it.  Is there anything interesting you can do with it?

Ultimate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:00 am »
I believe there are multiple afterwards you can get...?  The plot branched slightly in a few places, so it would seem odd that nothing in the ending can be changed.

Also, I never used the Kayak.  I only discovered that you could when backtracking a bit in the underground, but didn't access anything interesting with it.  Is there anything interesting you can do with it?

Branches?  :o

Are there really multiple endings? I never really considered myself with having a choice, at elast the game does not let you know that. I used tha Kayak to reach the elven land, did you manage to go there without it?

If you've finished the game, let me know if this was the ending you got. If you did not I am gonna play it  again ^^

Spoiler:
In the normal ending you freaking slay all of the veranede tribe, there is no one left to tell the story. And you become Emperor. This ending is pretty nice. The after ending features Main Guy, his cousin, the wolfman and another character of your choice to go and save the world once again, there is a pain in the butt dungeon and in the ending Lot was the one behind everything, he wanted to use the Bazoo to make a better world, and he even killed Nash, who supposedly killed Ricardo, your daddy. He needed the ├╝bersword you have to make use  of the Bazoo, you end up killing him and decides to destroy de Bazoo, while your wolfman friend isn't happy with that since they will be gone forever, you destroy it. The wolfmantribe ceases to exist and magic is no longer usable in the world. When you begin to levave the place Pamela begins to crumble and you supposedly die with your cousin and the third character. At least that is what I believe it happened. I don't like unclear endings.

Romal owns!!!  :thumbsup:

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »
Excellent work!

Don't know when, but I'll get to it, I need some traditional RPG love.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »

Are there really multiple endings?

There aren't multiple endings but there are slight alterations to the way events unfold. There are times when if you say yes/no you get different text and sometimes can avoid certain miniboss battles. The main story arc remains the same.

Ultimate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:35 am »

Are there really multiple endings?

There aren't multiple endings but there are slight alterations to the way events unfold. There are times when if you say yes/no you get different text and sometimes can avoid certain miniboss battles. The main story arc remains the same.

Ah Ya, of that I know :)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »
Another great release AGTP! I'm really enjoying this game so far. Romal's Duel skill is by far one of the best ones in the entire game. Taking down an enemy in one shot is awesome to say the least! :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
So I've been playing this for a while, probably halfway through at least... It's pretty terrible, really. The story is somewhat intriguing, in that while nothing spectacular has happened it is usually well told and I get the feeling it will go somewhere (of course Ghideon mentioned that interesting twists come later on), but damn is the gameplay rotten. This is coming from a big turn-based RPG fan, too. First problem is the battle system's attempt at adding strategy to the mix by putting distance between you and the enemies just makes random encounters really annoying as you usually have to waste a turn or two just to get to the enemies. The encounter rate is really high even by 1993 standards, and it doesn't help that the characters are so small that say, 5 or 6 steps cover a really small distance, so even if you see a door close by, you might have to fight twice just to get to it. The monsters are a pain as well, using status ailments against you CONSTANTLY and rather sucessfully... The dungeons are also far too long.
Imagine playing this game at the time; theres  not even save points in those interminable, tedious dungeons. No loot to be found in towns, levels-up are rare, magic tends to be randomly inneffective once out of three uses...
On the plus side, it does manage to create a pretty interesting world-the story takes place over years and you revisit places and see major events happen and how different countries relate to each other, and it's all pretty cool.
I found a code to remove random encounters on gamefaqs-Ill probably be using it quite a bit from now on, and I never had to do that before.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 02:24:30 am »
noneother, that sounds awful. Maybe this game needs a 7 Saga U.S.-style treament... :?

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
Some of the dungeons are evil. You think its hard early on, wait until the end of the game. The last few dungeons are BRUTAL and if you don't think ahead you're basically screwed for the "final" dungeon.
Spoiler:
When you go to defeat the Verande tribe, remember to take some torches or a spell (Sunblast) since it is PITCH BLACK without them. The dimensional portal maze is also a bit confusing and with the high rate of encounters get annoying rather quickly. I played most of the game without using save states but must admit to relying on them heavily in the last hour or two of gameplay. The status ailment issue is a big one and was probably the most annoying thing in the entire game. It starts out right away too. One of the problems I had with the game was the real lack of monster variety. Most of the monsters were the same in several areas and then monster difficulty would just jump suddenly at the start of a new chapter, ready or not. Even if you grind you can't get enough experience to get to a high enough level to brute force your way through the game. There is no real strategy to battles other than magic. Basically I ended up keeping a log. Using Weakness to determine the type of spell to use on that particular monster and then looking it up whenever I encountered them again. Keep buying elixir fizz to restore MP and lean on magic. That seems to be what the game wants you to do. There's also a surprisingly small number of weapons and armor, and they have a surprisingly small effect on your stats. The strongest armor (platemail) only gives +18 (and since its heavy platemail it reduces your speed by 2, a level of realism which I actually like).

Overall though, despite its flaws, it is a very interesting game. The attempts they made at small script branching are relatively unique to the era. The scope of the story was interesting, if somewhat rushed. It really is the encounter frequency and the battle engine that kill the game, which is a shame since they account for probably 70% of the gameplay time.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
Oh...  if anyone is still reading this.

I found that the most useful spell in the game, actually (aside from Restore) is Charm.  It almost always works (unlike those summon attacks that frequently fail), it's cheap enough that you can use it constantly, and will usually take a monster out of the action long enough to kill him or his buddies.  The trick to most of those nasty status-inflicting enemies is to use Charm to knock them out of the fight as soon as possible.  Later on, when the enemies give a lot of MP via Drain or an MP-draining sword, you can use the spell that puts everyone to sleep instead, which is similarly effective.  Always have your fastest casters hit enemy casters with sleep magic as soon as the fight begins.

I found that it's the inverse of most games -- attack magic usually isn't worth it, while status-inflicting magic usually is.  I can't even imagine trying to play the game without spamming Charm in every fight.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help against bosses...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:47:35 pm by Aquillion »