News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Spleunker 2 Translation Review  (Read 8027 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Spleunker 2 Translation Review
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »
A while back I did some minor improvement work on the game and was planning on doing an addendum patch that translated the title screen. While looking at the translation I noticed that the guy who did it didn't hack any pointers. I assuming that the translation is ok, but given the extreme space limitations many things in the translation might have been left out. So I was just wondering if someone could give the script a quick looksy. It's very small and only about 60 strings total.

http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Stuff/Splunk.txt

Also what does the title translate to?

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
Re: Spleunker 2 Translation Review
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:32:23 pm »
A Hero's Challenge
Heroes' Challenge

Pick one :V

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:36:32 pm »
Or "A Challenge to Heroes". It's Yuusha he no Chousen.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:35:17 pm »
The script is not OK. Most of the lines differ quite a bit from the original. It looks like it was done with mostly guesswork.

With that said, I've re-done the first half or so. I didn't take into consideration line breaks or space limitations, but the translations are accurate as far as I know. I should be able to do the rest soon:

ETA: Finished the rest, and fixed another.

ETA: As for the game's subtitle, I'd go with (The) Heroes' Challenge. Not that it matters in terms of an English rendering, but subtitle should be interpreted as a challenge that leads to becoming a hero, not a challenge intended for heroes. I haven't played the game itself, but after going through the script, it seems clear that the purpose of the subtitular challenge is for the lead character to become a hero, so the first interpretation seems more accurate than the second. Regardless, The Heroes' Challenge seems to me to be the best way to render this concisely in English.

E(again)TA: Maybe a better subtitle would be (The) Challenge of Champions or Champions' Challenge. The word champion is an alternate rendering of 勇者, and using that word would make it clear that being a champion is the goal of the challenge, not a prerequisite. Plus, it's got a nice ring to it.

$EA30
The weakened deer began to stir upon eating the food. What's this? It repayed your kindess by giving you a Gold Key!

$EA32
This is no place for the likes of you! Begone at once!

$EA34
I can see all your (evil) deeds! You shall burn in hell, vile creature!

$EA36
A princess waits impatiently.

$EA3C
Alas, the gate is closed. However, people shall forever tell tales of your bravery.

$EA52
Please, you must make haste! There is no time. I shall await your return with all my heart!

$EA54
Your future changes greatly depending on your deeds.

$EA56
I knew you would come. Evil has perished, and peace has returned after ???? long years. Now, quickly! Into the castle!

$EA5A
O, brave one! You must take up the sacred sword into your travelled hands and fight Gaila.

$EA60
My, but you fought through to the last. Everyone is awaiting your return. Thank you!

$EA62
The Rosary lies beneath a mountain path. 'Tis dangerous to traverse the caverns without one.

$EA64
Save the deer! It is near death from hunger. Go! Quickly!

$EA66
There is a secret canal near the unlocked door beneath the volcano.

$EA68
The Legendary Apple can put monster bosses to sleep with the power of the fairies.

$EA6A
My son is my pride and joy. Right about now I expect he's defeated Gaila and become a prince of Fairyland.

$EA6C
Gaila? I deafeated him! I did it by controlling the darkness with Gaila's Cape! I think I'll kill you as well.
(NOTE: I might be wrong about the last sentence.)

$EA6E
I hear that Old Man Continue is in the next round! I'd sure like to meet him!
(NOTE: fixed this one.)

$EA72
The Rosary is useless if one has little virtue.

$EA74
If you make it to the (second) underground floor of the ruins, you will understand the riddle of Gaila's hiding place.

$EA76
That magma burns like hell if you fall into it! I should know, 'cause, see, I fell in there myself!

$EA78
There's a magic carpet inside the ruins! It seems only the highly virtuous can ride it. If your virtue is not (too) low...?

$EA7A
Brave warriors rest deep underground. Tread not on their graves, no matter what!

$EA7C
I hear that there's a grave that's safe to step on. I dunno which one, though. Go find out yourself!

$EA7E
Watch out for yourself, I mean it!
Would you believe it?
I was killed by some young lad,
who said he was avenging his dad!
(NOTE: This wasn't a poem in Japanese, but it kind of worked out to be one in English. :) )

$EA80
Do you know what makes one a real champion? Well, only the true champion can become a prince!

$EA82
I am Old Man Continue. To continue, hold UP and press START!

$EA84
I am Old Man Continue. (To continue,) hold UP and press START on controller (2)!

$EA86
Next to the graveless skeleton lies a hidden path that leads to the ruins.

$EA88
Try holding a Rosary over the graves that are 2nd, 10th, and 12th from the left.

$EA8A
The wicked will be eradicated at the hands of Gaila. Are you a warrior?
(NOTE: "eradicated" was a guess for がまドロン)

$EA8C
You are a brave warrior! We shall give to you all the treasures of Fairyland with our gratitude.

$EA8E
You are the true champion! We shall bestow upon you eternal life and boundless riches. Will you please stay here with us?

$EA90
A boy who killed many adventurers set off to defeat Gaila!

$EA92
There is more profit in controlling darkness and ruling the world than there is in slaying Gaila and becoming a prince!

$EA98
The Room of the Fairies is connected to the Shrine of the Warrior. Will you be accepted as a champion?

$EA98
Just up ahead lies in wait the guardian of the final stone.
(NOTE: I'm not sure if ギロン is the name of a creature or the word 議論, which means 'debate'.)

$EA9A
If you slay Gaila and clad yourself in his clothes, you shall become the ruler of darkness!

$EA9C
I saw it! A man dressed in a black cape passing through a wall!

$EA66
Oh! You're an explorer, too!

$EAAA
Huh? You are too, you say?

$EAAC
I shall restore your health! Fare thee well!

$EAAE
I shall restore your virtue! Follow the straight and narrow path!

$EAB0
You must be in haste! What's that? A favor of me you ask? Right, then! I shall use my telekinesis to send you back a day!

$EAB2
I'm dead now, so I'll give you my precious pistol. Good luck!

$EAB4
I shall teach you a spell that will halt the movement of (i.e. stun) all enemies.

$EAB6
Then I shall initiate you in the most powerful telekinetic ability of my own device! Behold!
(NOTE: Some sort of magic-speak like Presto! might be good instead of Behold!)

HTH
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:52:59 pm by Paul Jensen »
Sign THIS!

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »
Hey this is awesome! Spelunker 2. I think there may be a line of text missing. When you play the original Famicom version,  there is a bag with goodies and a text message that  tells you in Japanese to do something on controller 2 if you want a continue function. If you find it let me know. :)

"Challenge to the Brave" would also work as a title. :)
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

sa♥tsu

• View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:45:25 am »
Or "A Challenge to Heroes". It's Yuusha he no Chousen.

Feeling the urge to come back on this since italics were used at me.
Though "A Challenge to Heroes" is correct as a literal translation, it's hardly gripping as a title in English and it kind of sounds like it's a "challenge to heroes" in the sense that "heroes find this difficult".

tl;dr: You can argue about anything on the Internet. :V

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:28:21 pm »
The correct translation is ATTENTION HEROES! MY HAIR IS CHALLENGING YOU.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:28 pm »
Thanks again PJ. There's a bit of a screen space limitation going on with the game, but a VWF might be possible to squeeze all the text on screen in.

sa♥tsu

• View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 05:09:06 am »
The correct translation is ATTENTION HEROES! MY HAIR IS CHALLENGING YOU.

I take back all of my above comments, use this instead.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »
Just a few bits of context for some of the strings.

$EA66
There is a secret canal near the unlocked door beneath the volcano.

Almost, actually the secret canal is after the door you unlock and you get the key to the door under the volcano.

$EA52
Please, you must make haste! There is no time. I shall await your return with all my heart!

Using the crystal opens the gate and frees a bunch of fairies. This is what they say to you and they increase your life.

Also just a few misc things.

February 05, 2011, 02:46:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Got some more context. Using the cross on a grave yields this bit of text.

ボクハ  タンケンカダ!
オ-ッ キミモ タンケンカッ!

ボクハ モウシンデシマッタカラ ダイジニシテイタ
ピストルヲ キミニ アゲルヨ! ガンバレヨ

I know the first two lines are dependent on which class you choose. They should change as follows

ボクハ  セイショクシャダ!
オヤッ キミモ ダナッ!

ボクハ  エスパ-ダヨォ!
エッ? キミモ ダッテェ?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:46:12 pm by Pennywise »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:36 pm »

タンケンカ : Explorer
リュックノナカミ : Backpack Contents
カンヅメ : Packing (in cans)/Canned Goods/Tin Cans
バクダン : Bombs
ブキ : Weapons
ナイフ : Knife
ピストル : Pistol

セイショクシャ : Clergyman/Churchman
ステッキ : Stick
マジュツ : Black Magic/Sorcery
オーラ : Aura

エスパー : Esper
チョウノウリョク : Psychic ability

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 02:00:35 am »
Thank you. Got some good news for the game. This is the second game I've expanded and bank swapping is working flawlessly again.

One question, based on that dead spirit talking to you and the showing how the strings appear in-game, would the translation in the text file change any?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 03:40:52 pm »
Got some more context. Using the cross on a grave yields this bit of text.

ボクハ  タンケンカダ!
=> I'm an explorer!

オ-ッ キミモ タンケンカッ!
=> Oh, you are also an explorer!

ボクハ モウシンデシマッタカラ ダイジニシテイタ
(Context? Because the meaning looks weird. Who say that? The hero? A NPC?)

ピストルヲ キミニ アゲルヨ! ガンバレヨ
Here's a/the pistol! (I'll give you a/the pistol!) Good luck!

I know the first two lines are dependent on which class you choose. They should change as follows

ボクハ  セイショクシャダ!
=> I'm a clergyman/churchman!

オヤッ キミモ ダナッ!
=> Oh, you too? (means : "Oh, you're also a clergyman/churchman?")

ボクハ  エスパ-ダヨォ!
=> I'm an Esper!

エッ? キミモ ダッテェ?
=> Eh? You too? <= (means: "Eh? You're also an Esper?")

(Remember it's engrish because I'm french, so you will have to check the sentences for spellings/grammar errors (but seeing the size of the sentence, I hope I didn't do any).

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:20:04 am »
It's a dead spirit talking from the gave and it happens to be the same class as you.

Phew, finally beat the game and have more context.

You get an audience with the princess basically.

[START]You are a brave warrior!<$F3><$05>[START]We shall give you all the[LINE]treasures of Fairyland<$F3><$05>[START]with our gratitude.<$F3><$07>[END]
//[START]アナタハ ユウジャトナッタノデス<$F3>オ[START]カンシャノキモチヲ コメテ フェアリ-ランド スベテノ[LINE]ザイホウヲ ササゲマショウ<$59><$F3>キ[END]

Because there is only one person present, would it be more appropriate to change we to I?

Again the princess, us to we?

[START]You are the true hero!<$F3><$05>[START]We shall bestow upon you[LINE]eternal life and boundless riches.<$F3><$05>[START]Would you please stay here with us?<$F3><$07>[END]
//[START]アナタハ シンノユウジャデス!!<$F3>オ[START]アナタニ エイエンノ イノチト トミヲ アタエマショウ<$59>[LINE]ワタシトイッショニ ココデ クラシテ クダサイマスカ?<$F3>キ[END]

I'm thoroughly confused about fighting if I'm fighting Gaila or some other guy at the end.

Gaila? I deafeated him! I did it by controlling the darkness with Gaila's Cape! I think I'll kill you as well.
[START]ゲイラハ ボクガタオシタ! ゲイラノマントデ[LINE]ボクガヤミヲ シハイシタンダ! キミモ コロシテヤロウ<$F3>キ[END]

That's what the final boss says before you fight him. He's this big dude clad in black.

I'm inclined to think the end boss would be Gaila, but then again the game had been hinting about this other adventurer after Gaila.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:30:02 am by Pennywise »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:41 am »
As I recall, Gaila was the cloaked enemy boss at the end of the game, but you may be onto something.

There are 3 different endings based upon your "toku" meter after you have defeated the final boss, princess if high, chest if medium, and "all await your return" if low.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

xorxif

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 10:29:24 pm »
Tried several different ways to follow the instructions and apply the patch to

Spelunker 2 - Yuusha heno Chousen (J).nes

from a goodset.

I got nflate.exe and expanded the prg rom. Then I applied the patch.

The game doesn't start on FCEU. It just stays at a gray screen.

So I tried applying it to a non-expanded rom, one with just the Chr banks expanded, and with both prg and chr banks expanded. No dice. What's the problem?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:39 am »
nflate should work with that version of the ROM. Perhaps you didn't update the header, which is the only thing I can think of.

xorxif

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 06:33:48 am »
Oh the things one obsesses over when one can't sleep.

After some research, it seems that in the version of FCEU that I am using (0.98.15) on my computer apparently has some bugs or oversights that made the expanded roms lock up.

Fortunately this caused me to update my FCEU to FCEUX 2.0.3, where it runs no problem. After figuring that out I realized there was no problem with the FCEU I run on my wii either. Everything working now. Thanks for responding

So to make this post useful, the following information will be stated:

Older versions of FCEU like 0.98.15 have problems with (some?) ROM expansions!
Use FCEUX 2.0.3 or later! It even runs on Windows 98!