News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Lady Sword English Patch 1.0 Released!  (Read 15099 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Lady Sword English Patch 1.0 Released!
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:53 pm »

Update By: filler

A dungeon crawler from 1992 created by Hacker International, maker of unlicensed games for the Famicom/NES and PCE, Lady Sword now has an English language patch!

Unfettered by pesky contracts with console manufacturers, Hacker International games tend to include content not normally found in console releases. This makes Lady Sword a unique and somewhat bizarre piece of dungeon crawler history. I highly recommend that everyone check out the developer diary, an Easter egg discovered within the script, in the read me for some insight into the production of this game.

This game is for the PCE and the translation patch is packaged with an optional infinite health/full strength patch. Many thanks to Esperknight, Tomaitheous, Grant Laughlin, Eien ni Hen, Paul Acevedo, Gabriel Jones, Enigmaopoeia and all those who worked on the game past and present! Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/ladysword/)

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Lady Sword English Patch 1.0 Released!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:31:00 pm »
I'd been looking forward to this one! Excellent job!  :thumbsup:

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:08:10 am »
I remember first seeing screenshots of this when it was WIP years back. Glad you finally managed to finish it  :beer:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »
Thanks guys!

I remember first seeing screenshots of this when it was WIP years back. Glad you finally managed to finish it  :beer:

Me too. :)

trumisery

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »
Glad to see this done! Back to playing it again!

dshadoff

• View Profile
    • Homepage (really old)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:18:22 pm »
Well done !
I'm always happy to see more PC Engine translations.   :)

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »
Excellent.  Anyone know a compatible emulator for PSP? Seems like it might make a good "free time" game.

edit: nevermind, it's my rom/patcher's problem, not the emulators.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:24:28 pm by Cryomancer »
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

MannyPooh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
i had a problem patching this game  :( everytime i patch the rom, it would get corrupted and become unplayable. Im using the Turbo engine 032 and using the lunar IPS as my patching program. what do i do?

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:22 pm »
I am very happy to finally play this in English, I was streaming it to my friends and got up to the 5th Floor.  However I notice some spelling inconsistencies [Ishis vs. Isis]; there is an error with climbing up stairs that telling it to "not climb up stairs" allows you to climb up them; and trailing text in the menu screen such as for Tachyon Stone.

I was wondering if this is due to me patching the ROM incorrectly?

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
I doubt you patched it wrong, may be some things we missed :)  If you don't mind, take any screenshots of stuff that is wrong while playing and send it to me (esperknight@yahoo.com) or Filler.  I'll look for the below though (still can't hurt to send screenies of them too just in case ;) )  Thanks!

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 08:36:49 pm »
I doubt you patched it wrong, may be some things we missed :)  If you don't mind, take any screenshots of stuff that is wrong while playing and send it to me (esperknight@yahoo.com) or Filler.  I'll look for the below though (still can't hurt to send screenies of them too just in case ;) )  Thanks!

Yes, please do this. :) You could even post screens here, though we may want to be careful about the content of the images.

EDIT: @MannyPooh Try a different rom?

Also thanks to everyone else who commented with congrats. Hi David!

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:31:01 am »
Awesome. I played through this years ago in Japanese just because it was so weird, stoked that I can finally understand what is going on!

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »
I just finished Lady Sword recently, I might try to post screenshots of any errors I've come across if I feel up to it.  I will censor any images with questionable content.
Since I was already toward the ending on the 10th Floor, here are some errors I have noticed:

Translation Errors:
- The swordsman, Ishis [イシス], is spelled as both Isis and Ishis.  I prefer the Ishis spelling because the Isis spelling makes us think of the Egyptian Goddess.  Therefore the Isis Mail, Isis Guard, and etc. should be named as Ishis Mail, Ishis Guard, and etc.
- Tachyo-Stone [タキオストーン    ] should be translated as Tachyon Stone.
- I believe Pabilon [バビロン] is supposed to be translated as Babylon since it is used to read the foreign writing on a tablet.  I wonder if they thought of the Babel fish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Hoopar/Wappa [ワッパー]    should be translated as Warper, since it unlocks a warp trap on the 9th Floor.
- Isis Guard [イシスのガンズ? イシスガンズ?] is a pair of forearm gloves, maybe Ishis Gauntlets would be a better sounding name?

Menu Errors:

- Tachyo-stone overflows the menu.  May be best to shorten it to "T-Stone" or "Tachyon".

- The cursor for Yes and No doesn't align.

- Beelzeboule has been named as "Perceval" here.

- Text overflows for some of the items, also you cannot see the arrow going left or right.
- Maybe shorten the (Color) Altar Stones to something like Red A-Stone or R Altar Stone?

- Text overflows for some of the items.

Spelling/Punctuation/Capitalization Errors:
[NOTE:  My grammar isn't that great.  So if what I've listed isn't incorrect at all, please ignore my correction.]

- "The old man searched for his granddaughter, his successor for many years..." should be "The old man searched for his granddaughter, his successor, for many years..."

- "According to old ex-king the powerful Lady Sword was secured in Faunus Tower." should be "According to the old ex-king, the powerful Lady Sword was secured in Faunus   Tower."  If it is too long, maybe change "powerful" to "mighty" or something shorter?

- "With the aid of the old map the swordsman sought out the location of Faunus Tower." should be "With the aid of the old map, the swordsman sought out the location of   Faunus Tower."

- Missing an ending quotation mark [ " ] at the end of Alucia's dialog in the second screenshot.  I put up the first screenshot to show the beginning of the dialog.

- "completely missed!" should be "Completely missed!"

- Overflow text and odd spacing on "with demos power!"

- Overflow text on "strength!"

- The dialog here incorrectly states Ishis is a female when he is a male.

- "falls, the heart" has an odd spacing.

===================================================================================

That's all I have for now, I will eventually post up the ending later on.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:13:46 am »
Anyone with patching problems should keep in mind that the ROM requires a 512-byte header at the beginning, which a lot of ROMs these days leave out. So if your ROM is 1,048,576 bytes, just add 512 bytes worth of zeroes at the beginning before patching. Most PCE emulators will recognize the extra padding and ignore it.

Here's some bug reports:

How does anyone play this game legitimately? It's so frustratingly random. But goofy! It makes me want to keep playing.

This should probably be something like "Thrust at Stone Golem's weak spot!" maybe. From the few minutes I played, I only got this message against the Stone Golem, and no other enemies.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 11:14:13 am »
Thanks for all these! I've addressed everything reported here so far. Some notes:

I really appreciate your work on this enigmaopoeia. I've adopted all your suggestions save these:

- Tachyo-Stone [タキオストーン    ] should be translated as Tachyon Stone.

Phonetically it's Tachyo. You're probably right about the word origin but I'm going to leave it Tachyo.

- I believe Pabilon [バビロン] is supposed to be translated as Babylon since it is used to read the foreign writing on a tablet.  I wonder if they thought of the Babel fish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Same with this one. I don't want to second guess some of these too much. Phonetically it's Pabilon. They could have written バビロン but did not so I'm going with Pabilon.

- Isis Guard [イシスのガンズ? イシスガンズ?] is a pair of forearm gloves, maybe Ishis Gauntlets would be a better sounding name?

Went with Ishis Gloves to keep it short.

- "With the aid of the old map the swordsman sought out the location of Faunus Tower." should be "With the aid of the old map, the swordsman sought out the location of   Faunus Tower."

Commas are optional in this kind of situation unless it clarifies possible misinterpretation.

- Overflow text and odd spacing on "with demos power!"

This is fixed, but there will still be some oddities in this kind of battle text. The issue is that these lines are appended to the monster names which can vary in length. I've removed line breaks from these so there shouldn't be awkward breaks, but there may be words cut in the middle.

Also that little issue after "The swordsman draws his last breath..." hasn't been fixed yet. There is a ball of control codes there I don't want to simply cull yet.

Thanks for all these Spinner 8 and enigmaopoeia! Consider these handled aside from the issues mentioned. If you find more keep 'em coming!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:41:15 am by filler »

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 09:05:24 pm »
So glad to see this translation finally happen!   :beer: I first encountered this game several years back and was totally bemused by its mixture of...well, you all know what it's a mixture of.  That programmer's hidden diary (in the ROM) is amazing stuff.

- Maybe shorten the (Color) Altar Stones to something like Red A-Stone or R Altar Stone?
Seems to me that shortening the color name to three letters would do the trick, no?  Red, Grn, Blk, etc.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »
Hey Matt, great to see you got this patch out and released  ;D  :laugh:

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 12:08:36 am »
Hey Matt, great to see you got this patch out and released  ;D  :laugh:

You mean it's a miracle right? ;) I can't believe it's been so long. Thanks for all your help with this project. I hope things are going well for you.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:14 am »
Strange game... Had little to no interest in it initially, yet after I started it I played the hell out of it for three nights when I really should have been sleeping, beat it, and then forgot about it until I found this thread here. I think it's the streamlined nature and fast pace that makes it so unplayable, even though there isn't much to it.

I would say the cheats are unecessary, as this is probably the easiest first-person dungeon crawler ever created, simply because you can regain full hp and save at any time. Sure, you get attacked in your dreams every now and then, but the trick is just to get into the habit of saving, resting and saving again provided you made it through the night. The whole process takes like 1 second and a half. You can die easily, but so can everything in the game, bosses included-that Chance thing works wonder against those. Plus secret doors show up on the automapper.