News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese Translation Questions  (Read 130634 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Japanese Translation Questions
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
姉さん。。。
Sister…
ボク、
もう度れたよ。。。
I... I want to try again...

Note: No idea what the れた stands for there. I assume the final よ is the particle to give more emphasis.

It means you need to check that kanji again. It probably says 疲れた
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 05:09:41 pm »
Ah yes, you're right, it's 疲れた。Well done.

So in this case:
もう疲れたよ。
I'm already so tired.

わたしたちが、 This comma is more for dialog pausing, and the が gives us reference to the subject (or whatever).
Yes, ok. I know が is sometimes a subject marker or but. I guess here it could only be a subject marker as there aren't two sentences to be combined.

やらないと... There's an implied いけない that follows. As for やらない, you are correct, it is negative of やる (遣る) and not やる (to give [a gift to someone beneath your station]). Same 'do' for やらなければ but neg. conditional.

Ah ok, so you mean this 遣る in the sense of "do".

やる 【遣る】: to dispatch (a letter); to perform; to have (eat, drink, smoke); to send; to play (sports, game); to give (to inferiors, animals, etc.); to study; to kill; to despatch; to run or operate (a restaurant); to do; to row (a boat); to have sexual intercourse

So when やる comes before a verb, it has the function of "do".
Question #1
I don't understand what the difference is however, between する and やる。Is it a case-by-case situation where certain verbs are used with する and other verbs are used with やる?

Unless you meant やる as an auxiliary verb which expresses the idea that s.o. does something undesirable when he/she knows his/her action will cause trouble?

Question #2:

We know what to put in for やる (do, doing) because of 救う.
What do you mean "we know what to put"? I don't follow you here.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:35 pm »
Question #2:

[/quote]When you use a word like “do”, an antecedent is necessary unless you’re just making horribad innuendo.

(I’m a little too lazy at the moment for Q#1, sorry... I’ll just say it isn’t hard, there’s just a lot of typing it takes to explain it sufficiently.)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:38 am »
Some of these questions have already been addressed, but I'll jump in for fun.

やり直そう

あさ、やり直しましょう
Let's repair it in the morning (?)

The phrase やり直す means do/try something again. In general, ~直す means (try) ~ing (something) again. Another common one is 作り直す (try making something again).

So, やり直そう means Let's try (it) again, and あさ、やり直しましょう means Let's try (it) again in the morning.

姉さん。。。
Sister…
ボク、
もう度れたよ。。。
I... I want to try again...

Note: No idea what the れた stands for there. I assume the final よ is the particle to give more emphasis.

A few suggestions here. First, use the girl's name if possible; sister sounds unnatural in English.

Second, as BRPXQZME mentioned, the word is not 度れた, but 疲れた, so the boy is saying I'm so tired of all this. In other words, he's fed up with the current situation; he's expressing mental fatigue rather than physical fatigue.

Girl:
そうね。。。
Yes...

でも。。。あきらめちゃだめ
わたしたちが、やらないと。。。
But... Must we really…
Note: I don't understand here. "We" and then が as in "but" I think. Even if I know that やらないと is the negative form of やる I still can't figure it out:

Girl: Yeah... But we can't give up. If WE don't do this... (no one will)

Here the particle が puts special emphasis on the subject. In English we use intonation (e.g. the WE in capital letters) to indicate this kind of thing. Another example:

A: あたし、しようか?
B: いや、きみはしなくてもいいよ。オレがやるから。

A: Should I do it?
B: Nah, you don't have to. I'll do it.

I've seen in my dictionary やる (suru) which makes the most sense. Is it the other version of あげる?

Not in this case.

やらなければ、世界は。。。
Note: Same problem as above.

If we don't do this, the world will...

This is an example of ellipsis (i.e. things being left out of sentences). Happens all the time in Japanese.

Boy:
えん。。。
Hmm…
そうだね。。。
ボクたちが、やらないと。。。
だけど、本当にできるのかな
この世界を救うなんて。。。
However, is it really possible to save this world…

Boy:
Hmm...
I guess you're right...
If WE don't do it... (no one will)
But can we REALLY do it?
Can we REALLY save the ENTIRE world...?

Question #1
I don't understand what the difference is however, between する and やる。Is it a case-by-case situation where certain verbs are used with する and other verbs are used with やる?

Unless you meant やる as an auxiliary verb which expresses the idea that s.o. does something undesirable when he/she knows his/her action will cause trouble?

When it appears as a main verb, やる means the same as する. However, やる is more casual than する, and so やる (and often even する) should be avoided when speaking to one's superiors. The boy and girl here have a casual relationship, so it's "safe" to use やる. Conversely, the fact that they use やる indicates that their relationship is casual.

Question #2:

I think i88gerbils is trying to say that "we know やる means do because of the context". More importantly though, do is the "default" interpretation of main verb やる; in my experience, it's most commonly used with that meaning.

HTH
Sign THIS!

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 08:15:50 am »
AAAAhhhhhhhh! Ok, yeah. Now I get it. Thank you to all three of you.

A few suggestions here. First, use the girl's name if possible; sister sounds unnatural in English.
The girl's name is unknown (it's ???????). I too thought it was weird but since I don' t know the name of the girl, I thought it would have to do.

When it appears as a main verb, やる means the same as する. However, やる is more casual than する, and so やる (and often even する) should be avoided when speaking to one's superiors. The boy and girl here have a casual relationship, so it's "safe" to use やる. Conversely, the fact that they use やる indicates that their relationship is casual.
More importantly though, do is the "default" interpretation of main verb やる; in my experience, it's most commonly used with that meaning.

Yup, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Another question, for the particle と, what does it usually mean when it comes at the end of a sentence? Like
やらない。。。
Do you always need the context or can you guess the meaning of と when it comes at the end of a sentence? In this case, I guess と is used to include the other person in the action. It can also be used to express an idea that someone said as well.

Same thing with が and か, both of which can mean "but"... I had the habit of thinking that if が came before a comma, it meant "but"... but clearly it isn't the case here. か is easier to figure out as it is mostly used at the end of a sentence and when it isn't, there's a good chance it will mean "but".

Is this always a context thing or are there ways, like leads to help you figure out the meaning of those particles?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:24:10 am by SeekerOfPeace »

i88gerbils

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 09:57:34 am »
と as a particle means many things, and all of them can come at the end of a sentence.

と - conditionality. と usually follows direct verbs (すると, やらないと). There are several types of conditionality ~れば, ~たら.
と - and. Joins together two nouns.
と - adjectives. There are some adjectives that require it, but often dropped colloquially.
と (often as って) - Implied "と言う" (dialog) or "というか". This is probably the most difficult to get at times as と all alone. Easier to spot as って

が - but. It appears at the end of a phrase like けど. It does not necessarily need to connect two sentences or phrases together (implied nature of japanese, again).
が - subject emphasis. Follows a noun or nominal, but you can turn a phrase into a topic.

か - doesn't mean "but". references a question.
か - also can be used to string a list of phrases or nouns in a question. 分かるか分からないか?"Do you get it or don't you?"

Example of some trickery below that I thought up just now. Try translating these :thumbsup:

Situation: three people commenting on some explanation they got from somebody.
A: 説明くれたが、ちょっと失礼な.
B: この人ははっきりと言うのが嬉しいですが.
C: よそ者があまり好きじゃないというわけかな?

Edit: this is kind of enjoyable. I usually don't like these types of threads. I don't know what's with me. Maybe procrastination.  :P

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 11:50:51 am »
Well I certainly I enjoy it. This language is just so complex... it really is a challenge.

From the context I would think that が serves as a subject marker. Something along the line of:
The explanations he gave us were not very polite.
説明:せつめい:explanations
失礼:しつれい:impoliteness

I don't understand what the final が could stand for.
He's a person who's very happy and who says things very clearly.
Probably wrong here. Really confused by the final part: 嬉しいですが。

Am I to understand that you said that you don't like outsiders?

If I'm wrong, could I get hint about my mistakes as opposed to direct answers so I can figure things on my own (and thus learn more effectively) please?

Thank you for this exercise, it really is good practice.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »
Well I certainly I enjoy it. This language is just so complex... it really is a challenge.

These are somewhat hard to comprehend very well out of context, but I'll try and help a little if I can.

A: He explained it (to me/us), but man, was he rude.
-な at the end of a sentence is sort of like ね, but more introspective speaking. I hope that makes sense. が is almost always implying a contrast between something positive and negative. He explained it (positive), but was rude (negative). Usually translated as "but" or "however".

B: That person likes to speak clearly.
- This one, I'm not 100% sure about. はっきり is "clearly" or "plainly". However, と言う can be two things. It can be that the person likes to speak clearly, or likes "clarity" (何々と言う means "the things known as... (何々)". I know it literally says that whatever makes this person happy, but in the context it sounds more natural to me to say that they like it.

C: I wonder that means (he/she) doesn't like outsiders much.
- かな at the end of the sentence is similar to な. It is like saying "I wonder if... (whatever preceeds it)". A typical example is 大丈夫かな, "I wonder if (it, them, they) are/is okay". あまり implies that there is -some- amount of whatever, in this case, 好き. If it were not at all, it would be 全然好きじゃない.

Again, I could be totally off with a bit, as I'm simply a Japanese student myself. But, I hope I helped.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
I've continued to work on the translation:

百余年前にの滅亡をとげた帝国
The downfall of the empire happened more than 100 years ago
What does とげた mean in this sentence?

そこから始まった異変は
After that, a strange phenomenon disaster started to take place
大陸を砂の世界に変えていく
The continent and the whole word started to turn to sand
Not sure I understand why there's a を there and not a は or a が (instead of the を).
西からせまる砂漠化。。。
The desertification started from the west
残り少ない緑の地を求のて求めて
There were soon scarcely any green land left
大陸は激しい戦争に飲まれた
The continent was plunged into a violent war
Not too sure why there was a war. I mean, I can guess but it's really obvious from my translation.
Does that seem right?

EDIT: Yeah, I don't know where this "strange phenomenon" came from 0___0.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:04:52 pm by SeekerOfPeace »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »
I've continued to work on the translation:

百余年前にの滅亡をとげた帝国
The downfall of the empire happened more than 100 years ago
What does とげた mean in this sentence?

そこから始まった異変は
After that, a strange phenomenon started to take place
大陸を砂の世界に変えていく
The continent and the whole word started to turn to sand
Not sure I understand why there's a を there and not a は or a が (instead of the を).
西からせまる砂漠化。。。
The desertification started from the west
残り少ない緑の地を求のて
There were soon scarcely any green land left
大陸は激しい戦争に飲まれた
The continent was plunged into a violent war
Not too sure why there was a war. I mean, I can guess but it's really obvious from my translation.
Does that seem right?
とげた seems to be the past tense of 遂げる (to carry out, to achieve).

異変 is a disaster. Not a "strange phenomenon". And it's happening to the continent (read: it is the direct object in the sentence), thus, を. は/が would make it the subject, which in this case is the "disaster".

Are you sure it is "求のて"? That doesn't seem to match up with the kanji.

~DS

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »
If she's transcribing it instead of using a dump, then yeah, I see where she might've read 求めて as 求のて. On that note, it really does explain right there why there was a war if you read the last two lines as a single sentence.

残り少ない緑の地を求のて大陸は激しい戦争に飲まれた
The continent plunged into a violent war for the last remaining pristine land.

Same thing here, with your confusion over を being used instead of は or が:

そこから始まった異変は大陸を砂の世界に変えていく
The disaster which began after that is turning the continent into a world of sand.

In full:

Over a century has passed since the fall of the Empire.

After the fall, the entire continent began to turn into a sand-covered wasteland.

The desert presses in from the west...

The continent has erupted into violent conflict over the last remaining arable land.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Thanks to both of you.

If she's transcribing it instead of using a dump, then yeah, I see where she might've read 求めて as 求のて. On that note, it really does explain right there why there was a war if you read the last two lines as a single sentence.

Yes, I was too hasty and typed の instead of め. I've fixed this in my previous message (along with "disaster").

残り少ない緑の地を求めて大陸は[/color]激しい戦争に飲まれた

I see, my mistake was trying to translate both parts of the sentence separately. I really need to pay more attention to punctuation and consider sentences as a whole. Thanks so much for that, it's a real eye opener.

About this sentence:

そこから始まった異変は大陸を砂の世界に変えていく
I just realized something. I was always analyzing each sentence as a chunk instead of the sentence as a whole.

So, in other words:

*The disaster that happened after that is the subject.
*大陸 is the direct object of the verb 変えていく.
So the disaster that began after turned the continent to sand.

大陸の東に位置するアリステルは
Alicetel is located on the East of the continent
Note: This is the topic of this sentence.

西の大国の侵略により
きびしい状況に立たされていた

Alicetel, located in the east of the continent, was in a dire situation because of the invasion of the western big power.

Note1: So the sentence really:
大陸の東に位置するアリステルは西の大国の侵略によりきびしい状況に立たされていたそして。。。
Alicetel, located in the east of the continent, was in a dire situation because of the invasion of the western big power.

Note2: what is the purpose of より there? It's usually used to compare two things. It doesn't seem to be the case here though. I'd like to understand its purpose in order to better understand this sentence. It's よりに right?
きびしい: 厳しい; 酷しい; 厳めしい 【きびしい; いかめしい】: austere; intense (cold); grave; solemn; stern; majestic; severe; rigid; strict; unsparing; relentless
侵略; 侵掠 【しんりゃく】: raid; invasion; aggression
I'd say it's saying that the East is making a stand against the agression from the country of the west.

今一人のアステル情報部員がある重大な任務を与えられようとしていた.
An important mission is about to be given to a man part of the spies of Alicetel.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:41:15 pm by SeekerOfPeace »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »
による and its conjugation により mean "as a result of". Think of より in this case as meaning "from", referring to cause and effect. Or as a verbal ">".

This > That

Depending on context, this could mean "this is better than that" or "this results in that".

6Toushiro9

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:42 am »

:huh: does anyone know what these mean?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 03:22:45 am »
なし あり
オートガード

The big text at the bottom says "Auto Guard". I can't provide a proper translation for the top part without more context - literally, they're "not" and "is" - but if they're connected to that "Auto Guard" text, I'd put them down as "Off" and "On".

6Toushiro9

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 03:53:01 am »
Thanks got it! :thumbsup:

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »
グラソオルグの領土。。。
Gran Org’s territory…

帝国跡地に近いあのあたりは一番砂漠化がはげしい
The area around the location of the empire
The desertification is the most intense near there.

連中は死にものぐるいだ
Note: I don't understand the part in red.
Is it:
もの:person
ぐろい:disgusting
だ:です
Disgusting people?

緑の残る土地を奪うためにな
The green land which remains must come into our possession.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2010, 08:21:11 pm »
グラソオルグの領土。。。
Gran Org’s territory…

帝国跡地に近いあのあたりは一番砂漠化がはげしい

連中は死にものぐるいだ
Is it:
Disgusting people?

緑の残る土地を奪うためにな

The mystery phrase is 物狂い. www.alc.co.jp translates 死に物狂い as "desperation".

The Dominion of Grand Org...

The desolation is at its most severe around the former site of the Empire.

The people hold on to their lives only through desperate effort...

...to seize whatever land remains unspoiled.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 06:47:08 am »
グラソオルグの領土。。。
Gran Org’s territory…

帝国跡地に近いあのあたりは一番砂漠化がはげしい

連中は死にものぐるいだ
Is it:
Disgusting people?

緑の残る土地を奪うためにな

The mystery phrase is 物狂い. www.alc.co.jp translates 死に物狂い as "desperation".

The Dominion of Grand Org...

The desolation is at its most severe around the former site of the Empire.

The people hold on to their lives only through desperate effort...

...to seize whatever land remains unspoiled.
I just want to point out that both JWPce and jisho.org translate 物狂い as "an insane person" or "insanity".

http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E7%89%A9%E7%8B%82%E3%81%84&eng=&dict=edict

~DS

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2010, 07:42:16 am »