News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Lost in Monochrome (smw hack)  (Read 11266 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Super Mario Lost in Monochrome (smw hack)
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »

Update By: Santo B.

In the beginning, there was a bet between friends:
 "I bet you that I will do a super mario level in black & white before the end of the week!"

6 months later, I am proud to present to you the full version of "Super Mario: Lost in Monochrome," a Super Mario World hack.
Created in "Lunar Magic" with the help of other utilities.

This game features:

Custom Graphics,
Custom musics,
Patches,
Hex edits,
etc...

Take a look at the thread, and why not, have a play!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=35673)

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
Re: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Lost in Monochrome (smw hack)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:15:20 am »
I really like the art direction and music.

However, it is far too hard for my tastes.  The precision jumping in the first stage frustrated me, and I never got past it.

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:19:26 pm »
Thanks a lot badinsults!

Yes,that's true, that's a little bit hard,but don't forget that mario was designed to be played with a joypad!
Before owning my "SDMEDIA LAUNCHER" (a Datel SD card reader for gamecube, with it you can boot homebrews like Snes9xgx, a snes emulator), I had a joypad to play emulators on my PC!
Maybe you have one...Anyway, if you don't own one, recommend you you to buy you one!
I've tested many and many times the game with it, that's DESIGNED to be play with a joypad!
:)
Have!

I forgot to mention, there's a topic for the game HERE:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11181.0.html

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:33 am »
I always play with a gamepad.

In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I lack an appropriate voltage transformer, I would be playing this on a real SNES.

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:45 am »
Okay!
Maybe look on ebay!
I'm sorry for peaople who thinks it's too much hard, but the too easy hacks are a pain when you play mario ror 20 years...
(I'm near of my 26, I began at 7...)
I wish you to find, your transformer and a little pleasure in my hack!
Thanks again for having tried it, and for your comment!
;)

ZeLoz (akaBill)

• Guu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:12 pm »
The precision jumping in the first stage frustrated me, and I never got past it.

And here I thought I was just bad at Mario in general.

Regardless, nice hack ya got here. Hopefully, I'll get past the first level soon so I can see more of it.  :thumbsup:

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:51:29 pm »
I'm sorry for the difficulty,but I think that a mario world hack must be harder than the original!
Why?
Because you're supposed to have played and finished the original before playing the hack!
(If one time the opposites occurs,it would be nice for me,no?!?)
:p
And thanks Zeloz!

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:37:57 am »
I'm sorry for the difficulty,but I think that a mario world hack must be harder than the original!
Why?
Because you're supposed to have played and finished the original before playing the hack!
(If one time the opposites occurs,it would be nice for me,no?!?)
:p
And thanks Zeloz!

There is a difference between challenging and poor level design.  In Super Mario World, there are very few places that require such precise positioning while jumping (ie jumping on a single block or koopa, surrounded by pits of death), and in general you could mitigate it by acquiring a cape or Yoshi.  In the first level, there are at least 5 spots that I encountered that are like that (having not finished the level, I assume there are more).  There is also a large section where you have to make precise jumps where your jumps are impeded by a low ceiling.  All the while, you are given a very short amount of time on the timer, so you cannot take your time.  Sure, I could use save states, but I think any hack that forces you to is not very well made.

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:11:27 am »
Ok,but I'm sorry Badinsults,but I do not agree with you.
No one told me the level design was "poor" to begin (even more when the player do not pass the first level.).
After that, I know that there is 200 hundred in the time counter,but with more patience and concentration (that's what you need if you want to progress) , you will be able to pass it.
I finish the level with more than 100 of time,you can go 2 more times slowly than me (without savstates, I never used savestates, I don't like them because it removes challenge and fun.)
But thanks to play it!

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:43 am »
Well, you should take a look at the more challenging levels in Super Mario World.  In those levels, few of them were made challenging due to precision jumping or "the unseen threat" (when you can't see what is coming next, as the next platform is offscreen, a good example in your hack is where there is a porcupine enemy at the bottom of a hill).  For instance, in the level "Outrageous", the challenge comes from the placement of enemies.  The only level I can think of in SMW where precision jumping is required is in "Awesome", where the frozen blocks and Banzai Bill make one section a bit tricky.  Again, even in that level, the challenge comes more from placement of enemies (ie flying cheep cheeps) rather than precise jumping on narrow platforms.  On the whole, I would say that the level design lacks imagination.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:33 am »
We have talked on this board endlessly about what makes for good level design, and fun hacks. In general, most people (around here at least, myself included) don't like challenge hacks, particularly those that make them furious. What makes a game like Mario fun has always been the steady increase in difficulty from level to level. It's been said, and talked about, but the best hacks play like a normal game, easy - hard with steady increases in difficulty. Using your imagination to come up with new ways to challenge the player while staying within the confines of the engine, or altering the engine in new ways to test the player are fine, if you do it properly, but no one wants to play a hack that they can't beat. No one wants to play a hack they have to dedicate an absurd amount of time to just to get past the first level.

These are just statements and ideas, I haven't played the hack so I don't know for sure but I do know; we have seen amazing hacks that do not use extreme difficulty as their selling point. On the other hand, I have not seen very many challenge hacks that were fun, or well done.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »
Here's some reviews:

SMW central/Luigiyoshi:

"I just completed it (again ) It was quite fun, the music selection was very good, and the star blocks that changed it from monochrome to bright colours was a nice touch, I liked the ExGFX and pallete swaps, it did get a bit laggy at times though, I would give it a 7.3/10 I haven't found any bugs during my gameplay so well done on that  I recomend people to download and play it."

Doréagrade by PM (who ased me to beta test the last version) :

Zophar'domain/Burzy:

I just finished it tonight. Really liked it, was the right kind of difficulty while still being fun (a lot of "oh shit!" moments, wondering if i keep bouncing from music block to music block if I'll land safely, was pretty exciting lol

keep up the good work. The music in the final level... I know it from somewhere, but cant place it.. though there were other songs throught the game I recognized but I wont spoil it for anyone  "

Ok,a last one,

Lunariville/Lexou (Super mario land 4's creator) :

"
Ouai bon, scénario pas mal, niveaux bien construits quoi qu'un peu répétitifs, les décors sont trop souvent pareil mais ce côté "brouillon" que tu as donné aux GFX, je trouve ça assez original et sympa.
Le choix des musique est pas mal aussi surtout pour la maison fantôme, j'ai adoré !
Je regrette qu'il n'y ais pas de boss ni intermédiaires ni final....

Autrement pour un premier projet c'est bien et je vois pas d'inconvénients à ce que ce hack soit mis sur le site 
Ta maison fantôme m'aura donné du fil à retordre ^^

Je te donne un 6/10 "

Translation:

""Well, not bad scenario, levels well built if somewhat repetitive, the sets are too often the same but the side "draft" you gave the GFX, I think it's quite original and fun.
The choice of music is not too bad especially for the ghost house, I loved it!
I regret that there is no boss and no intermediaries or end ....

Otherwise for a first draft is good and I see no drawbacks to this hack is put on the site
Your ghost house would give me a hard time ^ ^

I give you a 6 / 10"

So,I think we are not talking about the same thing:
I love chalenge,I hate difficuty too(or sadism).
Type "KAIZO SMW" in google,you will see!

I finished my "Super Mario the lost levels" on "Super Mario All stars " many times,on my old snes, WITHOUT savestates!
And I love it!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:51:25 pm by santo »

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 03:59:55 pm »
Ok,but I'm sorry Badinsults,but I do not agree with you.
No, you wouldn't, because it's your hack. See, here's the kicker, you know everything there is to know about it, so your judgment about how good or bad it is will be very biased. You have to think of it from an outsider's perspective, because they don't know anything about it.

Having played it myself, I have to agree with badinsults. The level design isn't the greatest, there's a general lack of power-ups, you removed the spin jump (>:() and because of the monochrome, I got stuck in a couple levels thinking I was gonna hit walls when it's just fluff. You did a great job with the palettes and music, but once I hit whatever level had the metric ton of music note jump blocks, it was over for me. I cannot enjoy this.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »
Well, Lenophis, thanks for your interest, and I can agree with you, because it's YOUR taste.
I understand.
I can agree with you the level design isn't the greatest,but I don't think "bad".
I see what you say about the wall,it's in one level,the "climb net" is VERY dark (and I have to brighten it a LITTLE bit more.)
I just have to say that!
(And yes, i will MAYBE rebuilt the level design!)
And glad to see something tasted you.

santo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:10:24 pm »
hi everybody!
I've changed some little things,fixed some little bugs,and completly changed the level called "Icy winter Melody" ,
Some other little things too!

EDIT/
I've worked some hours to debug the game and improve some palettes.
the first level is easier too, it's a BIG update, and I hope the last!

Here's attached the file!

(V1.4U!)

http://www.smwcentral.net/download.php?id=5589&type=hack
Have a good day!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:55:29 am by santo »