logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84336786 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance - Sound Restoration  (Read 18647 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance - Sound Restoration
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:48:33 pm »

Update By: Bregalad

After having restored the sound of Final Fantasy V Advance, now a similar hack comes out with Final Fantasy VI. This hack completely restore the music's quality from the SNES version.
The restoration is even better to what have been done with Final Fantasy V advance, as all songs were re-sequenced.

I should also mention that streamed pieces of opera are played instead of low-quality synthetic opera.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/)

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance - Sound Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:45:24 pm »
Wasn't there a "palette restoration patch" for the European GBA version made as well? I don't think it was by the same author, but we could pretty much have the SNES version ported to the GBA if that one was submitted.
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

Dragoon ZERO

• wasteland wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:01:40 pm »

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:25:32 am »
Never will understand why it was butchered in the first place. I can't stand listening to the GBA version's awful synths. They totally clash with the score.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:12:11 am »
Ever thought of using OpenSPC to make MOD files, or using that SPC to MIDI converter?

Now OpenSPC does have its share of problems, namely that it can't do a good job of quantizing row positions.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »
Any chance we can get a video of it? A screen shot's pointless for a sound mod. I'd love to hear how close the GBA can sound compared to the SNES.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »
A screen shot's pointless for a sound mod. I'd love to hear how close the GBA can sound compared to the SNES.
I know that, but RHDN forces me to include screen-shots anyways.
I can't upload a video (I have no you-tube account) but I uploaded a GSF archive so you can listen to the songs. Link here. Enjoy !

Ever thought of using OpenSPC to make MOD files, or using that SPC to MIDI converter?
I used SPC2MIDI for a couple of unlooped songs, but the output it so crappy and takes so much time to put together in a decent way that you'd loose as much time as re-sequencing the song manually. With it I could get songs with tricky tempo changes right for a few songs (by having the notes horribly unaligned to tempo bars but it worked anyway).

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
    • My Recall
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 03:41:52 pm »
Any chance we can get a video of it? A screen shot's pointless for a sound mod. I'd love to hear how close the GBA can sound compared to the SNES.
Here you go, I got the whole opera sequence. (Sorry, fell asleep while it was uploading haha). From the looks of things, the opera could improve with some control code tweaking to change the timing. It's still pretty cool to have vocals in FF6 though!
"The fortune cookies are coming.
The fortune cookies are coming.

...They're wearing paper hats!"

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »
Interesting. The opera sequence he plays is in Japanese. You know, there IS an English one that uses a translation similar to the GBA one.

Anyway, in case any of you were interested, this is what the Japanese opera says:

いとしの あなたは
   とおいところへ?
Are you headed to a
   far-away land, my dear?

いろあせぬ とわのあい
 ちかったばかりに
Our love will never fade
   because we swore it so.

かなしい ときにも
 つらいときにも
When I'm sad
   and when I'm hurting

そらにふる あのほしを
 あなたとおもい
A far-off star falls from the sky
   And I think of you.

のぞまぬ ちぎりを
 かわすのですか?
どうすれば? ねえあなた?
   ことばをまつ
Will the vow I did not
   ask for be exchanged?
What should I do, my dear?
   I await word from you.

ありがとう わたしの
 あいするひとよ
いちどでも このおもい
 ゆれたわたしに
Thank you, my love.
   Though it was but once,
you gave me hope anew
   when I was shaken.

しずかに やさしく
 こたえてくれて
いつまでも いつまでも
 あなたをまつ
Quietly, softly,
   please answer me.
No matter how long,
   I will wait for you, forever.

Not quite as poetic in English, but the GBA translation does a pretty good job. It takes a few liberties here or there, but I think they were necessary to match the syllables of the opera. Plus, most of the ideas from the Japanese opera are there.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:46 pm »
You should hear the "Darkness and Starlight" version. :3
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »
You should hear it live ;P
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 11:55:25 pm »
I appreciate the work that went into this, and think everything is great except for the opera replacement.  I was always bothered that the sounds didn't synch up with the text in the SNES version, and was really happy that that was fixed in the GBA version.  With this patch (according to that video), the vocals are even more out of synch with the text display than before.  Too bad. :\

seancdaug

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:28:05 am »
I've been looking forward to this patch for a long time. It sounds much, much better than before. The only thing I regret is that the patch is for the European version. I understand the logic and reason behind using the EU release as a base, but I much prefer the menu font used in the North American version. This font is very hard to read for me.

But that's just nitpicking. It's a much needed patch, and I'm very grateful.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:24:30 am »
My patch combines well with the other patch here that changes the font - it only changes the "big" font and not the small one (for menu, etc...) though. The patch is v0.6 so there is a chance the guy is planning to release another version, that will change all fonts.

I know the problems about synchronization, it's especially bad towards the end of the opeara but oh well. Without the conductor of the orchestra having a GBA playing while he was conducting, synchronization wouldn't have been possible. I could speed up and slow downs part of the songs, but with the pitch constantly changing nobody would have wanted this. In fact the Aria di Mezzo was remastered in the orchestral version and I had to cut off parts to make the voice start and stop approximately at appropriate times... this was hard enough to do. For another song (Wedding Walz #2), I had to transpose it up one key so that it ends in time. If were left on the original key, it would be too slow and finish too late. Other than this I left the songs untouched.

seancdaug

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:16 am »
My patch combines well with the other patch here that changes the font - it only changes the "big" font and not the small one (for menu, etc...) though. The patch is v0.6 so there is a chance the guy is planning to release another version, that will change all fonts.
The problem there isn't just that the other patch doesn't touch the menu font, but that the change actually makes it harder (for me) to read the dialogue font. It's not a bad font, it's just too tiny for the GBA's screen, IMO.

But I don't want to derail your announcement any more than I already have with complaints about something that isn't directly related to any of your work in the first place. Both your FF5A and FF6A sound restorations are awesome, and thanks for sharing them with the world.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:12:32 pm »
I combined this with the font enhancement hack, works spectacularly! Only thing i wish was that the palette hack that restores the colors to the original brightness was still there, the link is dead...

But seriously, just compared this to the SNES version. I cannot hear any difference whatsoever. To put it simply, stunning! Cheers dude! :beer:

I think the most pathetic thing here is how the music was purposefully screwed up by the official developers. I guess TOSE are the ones to blame since they developed all the Final Fantasy ports. Now that i've experienced this hack that restores the music perfectly, i'm offended by the efforts (or rather, lack thereof) of the official devs. The music was kind of ok in the unaltered version, but comparing it to this... >:(

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:47:28 pm »
Thank you very much guys. I put a lot of work in this hack, so I'm glad people like it so I know I did it for someone.  :)
I also just updloaded an upgrade to the FF5A hack (not a major one unfortunately, it just fixes a few issues) and a revision of the document which explains the GBA sound engine with lots of more info (hopefully it's not written down too obscurely)

realworksuks

• Random Battle Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 04:47:38 pm »
This is great!  Unfortunately I just restarted this game for the first time in about 5 years on the US rom.  Anyone have a save right around the time you get access to the airship?  For the European version...?

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
    • My Recall
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:48 am »
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me; here's some save states for convenience.

Before Opera House
Post-Opera on the way to Vector
Post-Cranes, just got control of the airship

I stopped to get some stuff in the Factory (like the Kazekiri), but otherwise I was fairly minimalist for once since I was going for speed. Have fun listening to the music while finding the stuff I didn't get, lol.
"The fortune cookies are coming.
The fortune cookies are coming.

...They're wearing paper hats!"

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »
Very good stuff, thanks for doing this. I know you said you won't do FF4A, but you should :)