News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 371302 times)

Teemu

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #940 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:37 am »
Yeah sorry, I once read on a site that to get the Hyper Chip, you'd need to visit all the Pink Capsules, trigger their hologram sequences, but not enter. This is complete nonsense but for a few minutes I suspected this was true but then realised I needed to visit the Hyper Capsule with full health.
There are so many silly myths about the easter eggs and secret upgrades in the X games, it's pretty funny. X1 came out in 1993, and there are still a bunch of people who firmly believe you need full subtanks to spawn the hadouken capsule. Among other things. So, I wouldn't trust anything I read online about these games.

biruleibe

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:37 pm »
Anyone having trouble with the V4.0? I'm patching it using Flips v1.31 and the game doesn't run, just a black screen. Zero Project V 3.1 is working fine.

I tried using both headered and unheadered IPS files and... Same result black screen. ( BSnes and SNES9x )

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 19, 2019, 10:43:03 pm »

Anyone having trouble with the V4.0? I'm patching it using Flips v1.31 and the game doesn't run, just a black screen. Zero Project V 3.1 is working fine.

I tried using both headered and unheadered IPS files and... Same result black screen. ( BSnes and SNES9x )

Can you try Lunar IPS? Works fine for me

biruleibe

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 20, 2019, 02:26:41 am »
Can you try Lunar IPS? Works fine for me

Same result, black screen. =(

I'm new to this ROM hacking thing, am I supposed to do something with that "Mega Man X3 - Zero Project V4.0 (Base Mod) RAM Offsets.txt" that comes with the IPS files? With the V3.0 I just applied the patch and it worked fine... Maybe I'm missing something with this one.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 21, 2019, 05:15:43 am »

Your situation mostly matches mine.  SNES9x on my old computer could run ZP 4.0, while BSNES was simply a black screen.  Haven't tried SNES9x on the new machine, just BSNES with the same issue.

There is a possibility that the modified game is doing something that bothers BSNES in particular, the post consulting with Byuu is some pages back.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 21, 2019, 06:07:25 am »
Bsnes is all about accuracy, so it being a Bsnes exclusive issue wouldn't surprise me.

Back when Zsnes was still a... thing, many hacks only worked with that emulator. Snes9x just couldn't handle the edits.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 21, 2019, 02:28:13 pm »
Looks like the forum concerning the BSNES issue has been lost.  Still, I got a quote.

Qwertymodo:  The SD2SNES implementation of the Cx4 allows for larger ROM files than the actual Cx4 chip does (specifically to support this MMX3 hack). I don't know if higan allows this as well, but if not, then higan won't support the hack.

CaptainJustice:  So the game uses more of a C5 than a C4? That'd do it.  Is it a case of the processor doesn't actually support it, or the processor supports it but not on the board it was used with?

Qwertymodo:  At some point, I know people were able to build real carts by adding extra mapping hardware, but it's been updated several times since then, including the addition of SRAM, so I don't know if the "final" version is doable on real hardware or not (though I suspect it is).

Byuu:  The chip select emulation may not work as expected if the ROM is larger. But other than that, I'll allow my generic Cx4 board ID to exceed 16mbit if it doesn't already, but I won't go past 32mbit.  FEoEZ is the only game I will directly support with a truly custom board configuration.

biruleibe

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 23, 2019, 11:32:11 pm »
I tried with RASnes9X 1.0 from RetroAchievements and it magically worked.

Kinda weird, since RASnes is the same as Snes9X just modified to include achievements.

What matters is that it works and I can finally play.  ;D

Animebryan

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 01, 2019, 04:49:07 am »
I'm having trouble getting v3.1 (Base Mod) to work on the BSNES. Does anyone know what causes it & how to fix it?

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 08, 2019, 04:16:05 am »
I'm having trouble getting v3.1 (Base Mod) to work on the BSNES. Does anyone know what causes it & how to fix it?

It's an emulator problem, Animebryan.
only the bsnes creator byuu can fix the problem, which may or may not happen in the near future
It still does not work even on recent versions of bsnes (v109 & v110) or any version of bsnes
Use another emu like snes9x or RASnes to play the game

I tried with RASnes9X 1.0 from RetroAchievements and it magically worked.

Kinda weird, since RASnes is the same as Snes9X just modified to include achievements.

What matters is that it works and I can finally play.  ;D

well I got the game to work on snes9x 1.60 on my Win10 LTSB/LTSC computer
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:21:57 am by erpster2 »

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:30 am »
After testing Zero Project and reading topics related to Megaman X3 - Zero Project, I got curious with one specific behaviour I got yesterday:

The capsule introduction happens only once with Zero, then it just processes as normal capsule upgrade text.
Best example would be Zero first obtaining a capsule. It'll play his introduction dialogue then after it's complete, instead of an [END] byte, it'll load the new command and transition straight into the proper Capsule dialogue.

With Zero, I tried getting the Arm Chip on Gravity Beetle stage, without having X's Arm Upgrade. Although I was unable to get the capsule (as it should, in that case), Dr. Light haven't told Zero that "X still do not yet have the part this chip will be installed in". However, I got the dialog that Dr. Light thank Zero for watching over X.

Here's the steps I followed, in order to reproduce this issue:

1. Started a game with Zero and beated the introduction level;
2. Still playing with Zero, the first stage I've chosen is the one from "Gravity Beetle";
3. In the first part of the stage, I got the Frog Ride Armor Module with Zero's double jump (on that platform outside the flying ship);
4. In the second part of the stage, I mounted on Frog Ride Armor (since I got the module previously) and proceeded to the crates guarding the Arm Chip Red Capsule;
5. Finally, I destroyed the crates with the missiles from the Ride Armor, and got to the capsule with Zero.

The following events ocurred:

- Dr. Light proceeded to thank Zero for watching over X;
- Dr. Light explained what the Arm Chip does;
- No other dialogues were shown;
- I was unable to get the capsule, since I haven't got the minimum requirements for that (which is the right behaviour).

The same issue happened on another scenario, where I'm trying to get the Leg Chip on Toxic Seahorse stage, by following those steps:

1. Started a game with Zero and beated the introduction level;
2. Still playing with Zero, the first stage I've chosen is the one from "Gravity Beetle";
3. In the first part of the stage, I got the Frog Ride Armor Module with Zero's double jump (on that platform outside the flying ship);
4. I've lost all lives, got to the save screen, and then I've chosen "Toxic Seahorse" stage;
5. In the second part of the stage, I mounted on Frog Ride Armor (got on step 3) and proceeded to the top right part of the river;
6. Finally, I got out of the water, climbed up the walls and got the capsule with Zero.

In summary, the dialogue "X still do not yet have the part this chip will be installed in" won't show on the same dialogue sequence that contains the dialogue "Thank you for watching over X on this difficult times, you have my sincere gratitude". The emulator I've used is ZSNES 1.51 (hope it's not zsnes-specific).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:17:45 pm by Solid One »