News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 310256 times)

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #880 on: August 02, 2018, 08:25:08 am »
It looks like that the problem with BSNES/Higan support for this romhack has been figured out.

Qwertymodo:  The SD2SNES implementation of the Cx4 allows for larger ROM files than the actual Cx4 chip does (specifically to support this MMX3 hack). I don't know if higan allows this as well, but if not, then higan won't support the hack.

CaptainJustice:  So the game uses more of a C5 than a C4? That'd do it.  Is it a case of the processor doesn't actually support it, or the processor supports it but not on the board it was used with?

Qwertymodo:  At some point, I know people were able to build real carts by adding extra mapping hardware, but it's been updated several times since then, including the addition of SRAM, so I don't know if the "final" version is doable on real hardware or not (though I suspect it is).

Byuu:  The chip select emulation may not work as expected if the ROM is larger. But other than that, I'll allow my generic Cx4 board ID to exceed 16mbit if it doesn't already, but I won't go past 32mbit.  FEoEZ is the only game I will directly support with a truly custom board configuration.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 02, 2018, 01:24:12 pm »
zhaoyun99,
I normally play snes games using zsnesw151. I don't have any problem as you stated.
Also, I patched it using Lunar IPS.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/
I suspect your Megaman X3 rom is not clean. You might have modified it.
Try to download a new rom.
Both headered or unheadered will work.

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 04, 2018, 02:24:54 am »
I agree with Injoon84 in that the problem could be the ROM you are using. It could either be a bad dump or one that must have been patched with another hack (maybe the old version of Zero Project) at one point. Your best bet is to find a clean ROM of Megaman X3 and apply the appropriate patch on your newly downloaded ROM.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:04:54 pm by danke »

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 04, 2018, 11:40:35 am »

Figured it out. You're using the incorrect MSU-1 patch. Just use the regular X3 MSU-1 patch, not the Zero Project specific one.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying! :)

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 12, 2018, 08:18:41 am »
I played through all 8 bosses plus the first and I must say, everything looks quite naturally integrated.

Only question. Is it possible to save a customized control scheme or must it be set every time you load your game?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:02 am »
I did actually allow it to be saved originally but there were heavy complaints about it being saved because then you couldn't change your buttons in that current save if needed.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 12, 2018, 11:57:09 am »
I see. What about, instead, an "Apply to file" function?

You would set up your controls in the options menu, followed by using the "Apply to file" option and selecting the save file you want the control scheme applied to.

If you want to change it later, you go back to the options, set your buttons again and do "Apply to file" on the same game save.

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 12, 2018, 03:12:55 pm »
Man, I have terrible luck, lol. Looks like I ran into two more issues when using the current Zero Project patch alongside the MSU-1 patch (the regular version of the MSU-1 patch this time, though; the Zero "Weapon Get" screen graphic bug didn't appear again, thankfully).

1.) When fighting Volt Catfish as Zero while using the Tornado Fang weapon, the ammo counter rolled back over to full instead of remaining empty after I had used all my ammo. When this happened, the in-game ammo bar looked a little strange, too (dunno how to properly describe it other than it looking glitched or corrupted). The bar then remained full when in-game, but on the pause menu, the ammo bar accurately reported how much ammo was left since the bar refilled itself. After defeating Volt Catfish, the ammo bar functionality resumed functioning properly...from what I could tell, anyway.

2.) I was not able to enter the boss room in Gravity Beetle's stage. Period. I'm not sure if it's because I switched from Zero to X after entering the hallway leading to the room or what. The door just wouldn't open, so I had to hard reset.

I hate to bring this up again since you explicitly stated you had no interest in MSU-1 functionality, but I cannot tell if these issues are appearing because of my use of the two patches at the same time, if it is because of something going on with the current Zero Project patch, or if it's the emulator I am using (the SNES9X core in RetroArch, mostly because of how easy it use to use MSU-1 stuff with it). Variables are the worst when trying to debug things.

EDIT: Also looks like the PCM file for Neon Tiger doesn't play when using the MSU-1 patch in tandem with the Zero Project patch. Hmm.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:21:18 pm by OMorty »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:45 pm »
Hey OMorty, I've played through the noncolor Zero unheadered patch with the MSU 1 patch and did not have the issues youre having, for what its worth

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 13, 2018, 05:49:43 pm »
OMorty: GOD, that bug is STILL around? Justin has been trying to locate this bug for ages now, since I found it in the beta.

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2018, 09:33:54 pm »
Hey OMorty, I've played through the noncolor Zero unheadered patch with the MSU 1 patch and did not have the issues youre having, for what its worth

That's the configuration I'm using. Strange...

OMorty: GOD, that bug is STILL around? Justin has been trying to locate this bug for ages now, since I found it in the beta.

Which bug specifically? The ammo bug or the door lock bug?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:59 pm »
Probably the door bug. You're the only case to ever report it again since the beta. Not sure what triggers it since I had the character swapping reset the RAM that caused that bug, or so I thought, in the first place and haven't heard about it since.

Must be another one of those oddly peculiar ones that has a very specific reason it triggers.

Also the ammo bug SHOULD be fixed whenever I get around to the next patch. I had a bad check on the ammo so they could underflow and cause issues.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

zhaoyun99

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 14, 2018, 02:23:21 am »
zhaoyun99,
I normally play snes games using zsnesw151. I don't have any problem as you stated.
Also, I patched it using Lunar IPS.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/
I suspect your Megaman X3 rom is not clean. You might have modified it.
Try to download a new rom.
Both headered or unheadered will work.

Ok, it looks like Lunar IPS worked. Maybe my other tools screw up the 4.0 patch. It's strange that snesRomUtility didn't like this patch but Lunar IPS did. Anyway, I would like to report a bug about Zero boss room. After X warned Zero, I switch back to X and the door won't open until I had to go back and off screen the door and go in again. That's when the door open for X.

blade133bo

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 14, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »
Thanks for your fantastic work, and hope don't bother you, if me translate to Spanish.
In addition, ask you if it is possible integrate PSX opening.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syszwe69lxfw81q/megamax3msuvideo.rar (I create this video opening in format msu, tested in Zeldas 3 msu version)
I tried contact with DarkShock, creator MSU-1 without luck, you would be my last hope.
Regards.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:37:44 am by blade133bo »

Prouncer

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 19, 2018, 09:54:35 pm »
Probably the door bug. You're the only case to ever report it again since the beta. Not sure what triggers it since I had the character swapping reset the RAM that caused that bug, or so I thought, in the first place and haven't heard about it since.

Must be another one of those oddly peculiar ones that has a very specific reason it triggers.

Also the ammo bug SHOULD be fixed whenever I get around to the next patch. I had a bad check on the ammo so they could underflow and cause issues.

New here but registered just to add that I also had the Door bug happen to me.

Not sure what has been reported but ill note what I remember about the stage.

Started as Zero and never switched before message.
Full ammo and used one sub tank before getting to door with full health.
Switched to X as soon as message appeared in front of door.

Nothing else of note happened during the stage that I remember.

***Update: Reading above I think my door bug was on a different stage as it happened to me on the Sigma 2 stage at the door with the boss that destroys Zero.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:39:18 am by Prouncer »

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:46 pm »
I have also encountered the door bug in Dr. Doppler stage 2 with Zero.  I'm playing the game in snes9x v1.56.2.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 26, 2018, 05:20:46 am »
I'll definitely need a save state then so I can poke at the RAM and try to figure out what's going on.

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:55 am »
I'll definitely need a save state then so I can poke at the RAM and try to figure out what's going on.

I'll see if I can replicate the issue so I can send a save state your way ASAP!

EDIT: Success! I suspect the issue has something to do with switching characters both right before you enter the boss room hallway door and right before you enter the door into the boss room. Again, this occurred with the Zero Project 4.0 patch (the version with no color changing when using sub weapons) used in conjunction with the MSU-1 hack. You can download my Snes9X Retroarch save state here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfqtcinhc6d95uo/mmx3_msu1.state?dl=0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:37:22 pm by OMorty »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:40 pm »
I've managed to reproduce the bug but I'm.. still not sure what's going on.

It looks like it's actually disabling the door object when swapping the characters is complete. I don't quite understand why this occurs quite yet since it's using the original code overall. So something is activating where it shouldn't. This is a little peculiar.

Edit: FIXED! The reason it was happening was due to my 1-up check code so it'd load the proper 1-up icon graphics for X or Zero. I accidentally had it adding the wrong values to check the next chunk of RAM. It was adding +20 instead of +30! Now the bug is fixed!

Edit #2: Also.. hopefully fixed an underflow bug with the ammo. I didn't have a proper check for it underflowing so it'd underflow and give the player more ammo and break the sub-weapon life bar. I THINK it works from what I can see so hopefully that knocks those bugs out now.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:19:20 pm by justin3009 »

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 28, 2018, 02:05:41 am »
Wait, this is the cause for that weirdness I found when I was beta-testing the hack months ago?