News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 357680 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #720 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »
groans

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:29 pm »
Will this new revision include the VWF that you were working on earlier?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »
Probably as a separate addendum to this version. It'll be good to get a fresh start on that and figure out an easier way to implement it.

Edit: Trying to change anything that has to do with the Heart Tank values and the Max Health values to use the separate routine. Going pretty well so far, almost got that portion of the data split nearly done.

I've got all code changes set into .ASM files now and they work quite well. Also, tested a few things out with FastROM and it DEFINITIVELY helps dramatically with some of the lag throughout the game. There's no way to completely remove it, but it helps tremendously out in some areas so that will definitely be a change coming in this version as well.

Things are progressing slowly but very smoothly thus far!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:17:57 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2017, 01:17:58 pm »
If you're leaving banks open for additional playable characters, have you considered perhaps (once everything else is finished of course!) someday adding in Vile as a unique playable character?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 02, 2017, 04:27:27 pm »
It's a definite possibility if I ever setup some sprite work for him and what not. It'd be a pain with a lot of events but it'd be kinda fun!

Mini update time!
Heart Tanks are now absolutely separate per character along with their max health and their character swap health! The only thing remaining is the Stage Select bit for Heart Tanks. However, that is so disgustingly ugly right now in code. Every single stage icon has it's own settings for what to display and check for which is fine and dandy. The problem lies in that every. single. stage. is a manual check in a huge list of checks and it's just.. gah. I'm planning to rewrite that down the road once I have more understanding so it's a lot more compressed and easier to work with.

The main menu stuff is about separate now. All sub-weapon names, icons and life bars are all split up. Have to split up the energy tanks pretty soon. Though, I'll have to split up their collection data as well to fully get them set. Once that's done though, that'll cover the vast majority of what's needed. After that, it's just a matter of the sub-weapons being split. Most of that won't be terribly hard but I have to do a lot of recoding with how bosses are defeated and a horde of various checks. I have most of this labeled down from the prior 2012 version that I never released, thank Cthulhu, so that'll cut the work load down drastically.

I bypassed the main menu's tile map compression scheme and just have it flat out raw in ROM currently taking up about 1800 bytes. Not the most efficient method right now but this game's way of handling menu drawing is way beyond me at the moment.

VRAM has been organized to allow two more 16x16 tiles for something much later down the road.

Zero is 'essentially' playable at this point. He can complete any stage and collect everything, but no abilities have been set for him yet, palette swaps or anything of the sort. Just the pure on basics.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

LivingNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:22 pm »
Just dropping by to show my support for this project. Looking forward to the new update.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #726 on: August 03, 2017, 07:27:01 am »
Zero is 'essentially' playable at this point. He can complete any stage and collect everything, but no abilities have been set for him yet, palette swaps or anything of the sort. Just the pure on basics.

How often are you allowed to use Zero in the original X3 game? I think from X4 on he's a fully playable character, but in X3 all I know is you can briefly fight Max with him in the intro stage of X3.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:13 am »
Introduction stage and every stage (Minus the final Doppler levels). He can be played up until you hit a mid-boss or a boss door, then he gets booted and you can't switch for the rest of the level. However, if you die as him anytime, he's gone for good. It was kind of a whacked out system.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:21 am »
Also initially he can't pick up E tanks or power ups like HP+ etc, and you can only switch to him once per stage too. So usually it was like this: switch to him, hit a power up or a door (or worse, die), and it's over, so you'd only use it for a few screens per stage max. Also initially he can't use other weapons than his own IIRC

Open the weapon menu and then press L to switch to him.

LivingNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 04, 2017, 03:32:28 am »
I did think of something I wanted to ask, eventually.

How hard would it be to mute the background music tracks without turning off sound effects? I haven't run an emulator in a long time so I'm not sure if one has come around with this functionality built in. If not, would it be too complicated for you to add an option for it? I know that the SNES sometimes dynamically switches audio tracks between BGM and SFX so I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time investment to tease them apart.

A cursory search turns up this patch but I haven't tested it so I have no idea how it works, or if it is still compatible with the current version of Zero Project.

My real goal is to be able to replace all BGM / themes with my own mp3 files but basic internet research suggests that may be unfeasible.

EDIT: After looking around and finding this video I think I will go ahead and throw those patches on and try to figure this out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:33:58 am by LivingNexus »

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 16, 2017, 12:19:28 pm »
Does X still have his Cool buster change in this version?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
He most certainly will!

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:31 am »
It's a definite possibility if I ever setup some sprite work for him and what not. It'd be a pain with a lot of events but it'd be kinda fun!

Mini update time!
Heart Tanks are now absolutely separate per character along with their max health and their character swap health! The only thing remaining is the Stage Select bit for Heart Tanks. However, that is so disgustingly ugly right now in code. Every single stage icon has it's own settings for what to display and check for which is fine and dandy. The problem lies in that every. single. stage. is a manual check in a huge list of checks and it's just.. gah. I'm planning to rewrite that down the road once I have more understanding so it's a lot more compressed and easier to work with.

The main menu stuff is about separate now. All sub-weapon names, icons and life bars are all split up. Have to split up the energy tanks pretty soon. Though, I'll have to split up their collection data as well to fully get them set. Once that's done though, that'll cover the vast majority of what's needed. After that, it's just a matter of the sub-weapons being split. Most of that won't be terribly hard but I have to do a lot of recoding with how bosses are defeated and a horde of various checks. I have most of this labeled down from the prior 2012 version that I never released, thank Cthulhu, so that'll cut the work load down drastically.

I bypassed the main menu's tile map compression scheme and just have it flat out raw in ROM currently taking up about 1800 bytes. Not the most efficient method right now but this game's way of handling menu drawing is way beyond me at the moment.

VRAM has been organized to allow two more 16x16 tiles for something much later down the road.

Awesome work. Still one of my absolute favorite romhacks out there, surpassing the original in quality.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:00 pm »
Update time
1.  Zero is essentially playable in all aspects now including most of his original abilities from the previous version. There's quite a hefty change here though and some changes that will happen once I get other areas down.
The biggest change to come with this version is that Zero can double jump and air dash right off the bat, while X can't.

2.  Zero will gain no benefits from capsules whatsoever except the 'Golden Armor' capsule. I'm hoping to implement a brand new capsule for Zero's Black Armor in general specifically to him somewhere in the game just so you don't have to fiddle around with getting every single tiny thing for X before you obtain Zero's enhanced abilities.

3.  With these coming changes, Zero is going to play a bit different from X which makes him a lot easier to use for beginners in essence.
Zero can NO LONGER charge sub-weapons. This might be a huge controversial change but if something isn't done then he's basically just a power house throughout the whole game. This was actually intended even from the alpha version of the original project, it's about time it gets implemented.

Zero will gain an additional jump and air-dash with the Black Armor capsule as in the later versions of this project.
Zero will gain a speed boost for walking, dashing, air-dashing and a longer distance of dash with the Black Armor capsule.
Zero may or may not gain 25-50% defense (Maybe even double damage actually depending if he's still ridiculously OP) with the Black Armor capsule.
Zero will gain health regeneration like X with the Black Armor capsule
Zero may or may not gain extra damage with the Black Armor capsule. (If I do double damage, he most certainly will get a damage increase)

Some of these are still questionable but it's all going to be an experiment to see how he plays with some of these changes.

4.  X's buster is back to what it was in the previous versions.

5.  Forcefield generation from armors and all of it's code has been removed. I read some details that you take even LESS damage with the forcefield on, but it doesn't make too much since considering the fact that every enemy value is a solid number. You're always going to take a base of 1 damage no matter what your defense is. It's pointless to have it.

7.  Upgrade data has been somewhat split between the four PCs. This lets you determine what they kind of do with each upgrade. (Right now it's mainly whether they can use it or not)

8.  Sub-weapon coordinates are ready to go for all characters. This was super interesting actually because I remember back in the day, I hand did all of Zero's sub-weapon coordinates. It turns out that even in the original game, he HAS coordinates already setup for them A LONG with their charged variations! So either it was automated in some form or Zero was actually intended to use sub-weapons early on but it got cut. Either way, this saved me ludicrous amounts of time and thank Cthulu I figured that out. I even discovered a whole different section of code that loaded sub-weapon coordinates, again, for different sub-weapon instances. It uses the exact same coordinates but the code was vastly different but used the same data. Kind of stupid so I rewrote it to use the original data instead. This fixes MAAAAAAANY many bugs I was having way back in the day so this shouldn't even be a problem ever again.

9.  Fixed numerous bugs with the jump/dashing variables. I rewrote the code to use what I had before but I found a better way to handle it so any command could update the jump/dash amount. This came with a lot of weird bugs because of how it was using a JMP to update the characters action, but I used a temporary flag in an unused RAM value and it's all good now. Even fixed some bugs in the original too.

10. Damage table code has been rewritten slightly and most of the actual data has been expanded greatly.
Original has 38 values per table: Increased this to 82 values per table
Original has 34 tables (6 of these go unused!): Increased this to 60 tables
Original has 1 sub-damage table: Increased this to 60 tables

That's about it! There's not much to see on the main screen as it's about the same (Minus Zero's abilities), but the underlying code has been improved 100X (No pun intended) and works a lot more efficiently.

I also discovered that my old code from the buster combos is obsolete and figured out how the damage system works for X1-X3.

Every single enemy in game either has their own damage table or they share with one another. AKA how much damage you deal to them with various instances such as your buster, Z-Saber, sub-weapons, charged sub-weapons, Ride Armors, etc.. Enemies such as bosses (IE: Blizzard Buffalo, Blast Hornet etc..) ALL have code in their AI when being damaged that SWITCHES their damage table variable to a value of '01'. When this happens, it loads a blank table that has 00's all across the board thus you can't do extra damage to them UNTIL the flashing goes away. When the flashing stops, it reverts their damage table type to the original value they had allowing you to damage them again.

This explains why we can't do consistent damage to most bosses and some enemies. This ALSO explains why we can obliterate regular enemies. Their AI HAS no code to switch their damage table, so what damage you deal is ALWAYS consistent.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:16:42 pm by justin3009 »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 26, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »
Would you consider having the Black armor give Zero a saber projectile instead of increasing his damage?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 26, 2017, 02:32:08 pm »
Possibly but I'm not sure on that. I don't feel Zero should have a saber projectile as that would make him keep his distance at all times like X. Wouldn't really diversify them much anymore with that. I might see about doing a Megaman Zero style 'Zan'eidan (Throw Blade)' where it has a projectile but a very short range that'd deal half damage, dunno. I'm not a fan of Zero having any kind of wave with him while he can still main his busters. Makes him too easy to play.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 26, 2017, 02:47:00 pm »
Could have it only work at full health?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 26, 2017, 08:17:37 pm »
Not likely to happen. I'll probably allow it in a later patch with other enhancements on the side for Zero's Black Armor in NG+ mode, but in the regular basis project I'm just not going to let it happen. It'd make Zero and X way too similar in play style, way more so than what they already are.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:32 pm »
Fair enough, if it's not too presumptuous I'd like to weigh in on the other Black Zero enhancements, I like the idea that he can't charge sub weapons (though I will miss the animation of him punching the ground)

Not really sold on the auto health recovery it has never been a Black armor function and doesn't feel very Zero like.

I would also prefer higher jump and faster movement as opposed to triple jump/double air dash, would help make X/0 each feel unique.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 27, 2017, 03:22:44 am »
Zero can NO LONGER charge sub-weapons. This might be a huge controversial change but if something isn't done then he's basically just a power house throughout the whole game. This was actually intended even from the alpha version of the original project, it's about time it gets implemented.

That's a shame. The good thing about that was that it allowed to unlock power ups/areas before getting the charge capsule, therefore making for less backtracking, and less level choice linearility, which was a huge issue in the original game.

Honestly I never felt that THIS was what made him a "power house", I'd say his Z-Buster and the amount of dmg it deals does, especially against bosses.

Plus honestly, the weapons are useless until you can charge them.

4.  X's buster is back to what it was in the previous versions.

That is to say?