News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 371106 times)

andrewclunn

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero (Base Mod FINISHED)
« Reply #680 on: December 28, 2016, 10:25:51 pm »
Been following (and playing) this project from the beginning.  Just wanted to say thank you.  Looking forward to you mario 2 in all stars hack.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 29, 2016, 04:59:17 am »
Been following (and playing) this project from the beginning.  Just wanted to say thank you.  Looking forward to you mario 2 in all stars hack.
Mario 2 is already in all stars, wth are you talking about?

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 am »

Forgive me if this has come up elsewhere, but for me, beating the game with Zero in his normal red armor produces this result for the ending cutscene and persists in the credits as Zero and X are running through the city.  Beating the game with Black Zero or as X does not have this effect.  I noticed this in the 3.0 version as well, though I *don't* recall it being present in previous versions to that.

I noticed too that after beating Sigma and climbing the wall to escape the lava, the red in Zero's "Z" on his life bar changes from red to blue as soon as the game takes control of Zero's movement for the final part of the "escape" cutscene.  I can't help but wonder if these  two things are connected somehow.  Some sort of palette swap bug perhaps?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 03, 2017, 08:09:26 am »
That credits one I never knew about but the blue life bar is a bug I'm not sure how to fix. It results in that because the explosions use the same palette as the bars. I'll have to see if I can get around it somehow.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Killy

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 04, 2017, 08:31:50 am »
Been following (and playing) this project from the beginning.  Just wanted to say thank you.

+ 1.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 11, 2017, 11:26:49 am »
Just another minor update.  I'll probably release a patch pretty soon.

The few bugs that have been noted I believe are fixed.

1. Acid would disappear on the Doppler Stage boss with the Junk Machine thinger.
This was because it was using the temp. RAM storage value for the Y coordinates of Layer 3 as the option you have selected in the menu.  Not sure why that was the case but that's been fixed.

2. If you beat the game as Zero with his red armor, he appears blue on the credits sequence.
This one I'm actually unsure is officially fixed without causing other issues.  The reason it was happening was because it was using the Capsule Palette routine.  Not sure why it does for this sequence but it does apparently.  In doing so, it checked if 7E:1FB3 > 0, if so, load X's palette.  Truthfully, I have no idea what the hell that RAM value was for but it gets stored to on the credits sequence to reset the PC's animation.  Either way, I removed the check in the routine so it appears to be working fine now.

3. Gravity Well wouldn't slam Blast Hornet properly when it was charged.
This was an incredibly weird one that I didn't expect.  All the changes I did to 7E:1FFF (PC Checker) actually turned out to be the extra value stored there to check if Gravity Well was in-use and was a charge shot.  I ended up just moving the checker to 7E:0550 instead so that RAM value can be used for it instead without conflicting with the PC changes.

With that, hopefully all the bugs are fixed.  Also, the time it takes for Blast Hornet to get slammed onto the floor is less than half of what it used to be.  Before it was 300 ticks, it's now 118 ticks instead.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 18, 2017, 04:43:06 pm »
What, Justin is back. And it's good to know that Blast Hornet now has less mercy invincibility.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:11 pm »
YOU ARE A GOD!

gw3nzon

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:21 pm »
I would like to know if this hack room got the primary weapon of Z the Z saber an the sub weapon the Z-buster? and wow my internet is hyper slow and to check all the 35 web pages takes me forever (30 mins charging like 10 pages lol)

can someone answer me please? ty

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:57 pm »
I guess my "thank you" post got lost in the roll back.

Thanks again justin for yet another update! As someone who grew up with this game and know it very well, I appreciate every single little improvement or minor bug fix you make to it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 26, 2017, 03:42:23 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhaYMXB9JQ

Attempting to get a fully working VWF on various accounts in this game but I may or may not finish this side project.

This text engine is probably by far one of the most convoluted and annoying systems I have 'ever' had to deal with.  It doesn't look like much on the outside but the coding is just absolute whack.  I've got the introduction level playing out perfectly fine thus far, I think anyway.  Haven't had any bugs on that yet but who knows, something may pop up.

Thus far, loading an actual stage level crashes the game from the stage select screen.  There's also a couple other text areas I have to accommodate for, IE: Introduction and Ending Credits.  Of course, if I finish this and can get everything working, I'm planning to have multiple types of text boxes dependent on a byte that precedes the text.  I've basically destroyed the 'Scroll' code so now it just blanks out the VWF data and that's that.  There's about 4 unused commands as well that are blank so that easily leaves enough room to check for all this.

Anywho, that's a thing.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:38 am »
I usually hate VWF, because I feel like it makes reading harder by allowing creators to cram in more text - but the original MMX font isn't really taking advantage of the space it has, and could use more contrast. This looks great! Also having the other fixes in the final patch - it really is what MMX3 should've been to begin with!
I already consider this romhack the ultimate way to play MMX3, and it just keeps getting better! Thank you so much for your work!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #694 on: April 09, 2017, 01:43:38 pm »
This looks really cool, can't wait to give it a shot since I played a bit of Bass the MM7 hack.  :thumbsup:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 09, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
Still kind of working on the VWF edition.

I went back and redid a good chunk of my code so it's less spammy and cluttered.  What I have currently going on is that when it's drawing the text box, it's actually taking the full tile map that I have stored in ROM and sending only bits of it into RAM a few columns at a time to get the desired effect.  As it does this, the HDMA width gets increased as well to match up properly.

I just redid a bunch of other stuff as well so that most of the data is now in a routine based on what type of box is going on.  So it'll jump to the correct routine based on the value at 7E:0250 (Text box type).

So far, I have drawing with portrait on the left and on the right working 100%.  Still have to do no portrait, mini box and no box at all.  I still also have to make it erase properly as well.  So instead of just wiping it out entirely, it wipes it out a bit at a time.  Basically how it draws but instead it's erasing it and slapping the end of the box to the new location.

I went further to see how MMZ handles it's text boxes when it switches people, turns it out erases the entire box then draws another one with the portrait on whichever side depending on what's going on.  It's also this that I realized that MMZ doesn't even use a VWF.  I could remove it and have a bigger font in general while also cutting out HDMA, but I kind of prefer it this way.  Little more tedious but hey, it works.

Progress is slowly going on the VWF edition I should say, but it's getting there.  Just trying to get the basics working 100% before I full on bug test through the game and release it as an addendum patch for the project.

Also this.  The portrait isn't in-game yet.  I was trying to shrink down MMX6's style portraits, cut it to 48x48 and fix it up.  It's using Zero's actually in-game palette so TECHNICALLY if I wanted, I wouldn't need to use an extra palette.  I might end up doing so just in case but it seems to work just fine using the characters normal stuff.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 09, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »
The portrait looks so nice, even using the in-game palette. Hate to say it though, but I really prefer the original font, despite all the wasted space. I thought MMZ's font was wonky and too large from day one, but kind of weirdly worked with the overall look of the games. Kind of clashes here for me, and the opposite (MMX font in MMZ) would be true too, I think.

But that's just my two cents, this is still really awesome either way!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 09, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »
I honestly agree as well.  I'm trying to figure out a different look to use but I'm coming up empty handed on ideas.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:47 pm »
I love the new font.  Hated the original mmx font though.

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:25 pm »
I concur. The original font was always hard to read, be it the style or coloring. The MMZ series is definitely easier to read, but was made for a smaller screen, so it makes sense that it wouldn't look right here. X4 and beyond had some pretty legible ones, I propose you go with one of those, for the sake of uniformity.