Still kind of working on the VWF edition.
I went back and redid a good chunk of my code so it's less spammy and cluttered. What I have currently going on is that when it's drawing the text box, it's actually taking the full tile map that I have stored in ROM and sending only bits of it into RAM a few columns at a time to get the desired effect. As it does this, the HDMA width gets increased as well to match up properly.
I just redid a bunch of other stuff as well so that most of the data is now in a routine based on what type of box is going on. So it'll jump to the correct routine based on the value at 7E:0250 (Text box type).
So far, I have drawing with portrait on the left and on the right working 100%. Still have to do no portrait, mini box and no box at all. I still also have to make it erase properly as well. So instead of just wiping it out entirely, it wipes it out a bit at a time. Basically how it draws but instead it's erasing it and slapping the end of the box to the new location.
I went further to see how MMZ handles it's text boxes when it switches people, turns it out erases the entire box then draws another one with the portrait on whichever side depending on what's going on. It's also this that I realized that MMZ doesn't even use a VWF. I could remove it and have a bigger font in general while also cutting out HDMA, but I kind of prefer it this way. Little more tedious but hey, it works.
Progress is slowly going on the VWF edition I should say, but it's getting there. Just trying to get the basics working 100% before I full on bug test through the game and release it as an addendum patch for the project.
Also this. The portrait isn't in-game yet. I was trying to shrink down MMX6's style portraits, cut it to 48x48 and fix it up. It's using Zero's actually in-game palette so TECHNICALLY if I wanted, I wouldn't need to use an extra palette. I might end up doing so just in case but it seems to work just fine using the characters normal stuff.