News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 384017 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero (Version 3.0 Back In Progress)
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2013, 04:28:52 am »
Popping this baby back into action while I'm in the mood for it.

1. I've re-done a couple bits of code to fix them and be more dynamic.
2. Reordered my Change Log a bit.. still a ways to go to fix it all up.
3. Adding in SRAM saving at this point.  No reason not to have it anymore.
4. MAY drop the 'secret' ending.
5. Adding in a couple of other features that were supposed to be added.

Etc..

Edit: Only have had a few moments to work on this.  These time restraints are extremely ridiculous now.  But I've figured out how the game loads graphics for the Main Menu, how much to load and where to store it in VRAM.  So essentially I can add new sprites into the main menu now if I truly wanted to.

I'm also on the verge of splitting X/Zero's data permanently.  Though it'll be shared for the most part still (As in both will update each other), I have plans for this later on so they're each their own characters.  (Not for this project fully, but for extra difficulties/future project).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:40:51 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:30 am »
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear your working on it again   :)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 30, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »
Been awhile since I've posted!  Can't believe it's been almost another three weeks already!  I haven't been working on it too often because my work hours were pretty horrendous for awhile, but the overtime SHOULD be over now so I have at least 4 hours a day now to work on this after work, besides there, here's a little progress note!

1. Found a slew of empty RAM to split X/Zero's data up completely as separate characters.  (Though they will still have values written to each other depending on the mode selected)

2. X/Zero can use each others busters with just a simple byte change.  (Still a WIP but I'm aiming to have everything be dynamic.  I may end up seeing if I can make enemy missiles usable on PC's and vice versa as well so things can really be expanded upon).

3. Figured out which routine is for loading compressed graphics and which routine loads decompressed graphics.  This is extremely nice as now I can load sprites on the Main Menu with ease.  I've also figured out that I can load decompressed tiles as well.  So with that, I'll be porting the Main Menu over to be decompressed graphics and I may end up doing the same thing for Level Tiles in the long run as well for easier customization.

4. I have an artist friend working on Zero's 'Get Weapon' screen associated for the Zero Project only, so expect his buster to be there.

It's not much progress if you read it like that, but in the long run, a LOT of this extremely progressive and will help ridiculously much.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:14 am »
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Agreed!  I love seeing updates about this project.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
Another mini-ish update.

Menu graphics are now loaded decompressed and have been expanded by about 3 rows.  This bumps all tiles in VRAM down a little bit (Though it causes absolutely no issues as the tiles that are being unused get overwritten.  Further testing will be needed but so far, absolutely no errors have occurred).

Edit: Seems that I had to fix one tile issue.  It was loading an incorrect value in the decompressed menu which caused certain layers to lose a portion of their graphics.  All fixed as far as I can see!

Split most of the menu's data with X and Zero.  They both load their own icons, own text, icon coordinates, text coordinates, etc..  The only thing that's really needed now is to split the X/Y coordinates of the Sub-Weapon life bars.  Once that's set, the main portion of that area is done.

After, I'll start trying to split their other data:

Sub-Weapon Life
Heart Tanks
Max Life
Armors
Sub-Tanks

Etc..

After this, I'll get onto fixing the few bugs that have been there for months prior to the restart of this and then try to pop in the new graphics.  Once that's along, SRAM will be finished up and I think the majority of the project will be ready to be re-released while having a great basis for the 'Remastered' project.
--------------------------
Edit:

7E0241 - Difficulty Selection
7E0242 - New Game+

7E0250:53 - Energy Tanks 1-4

7E0255 - Acid Bomb life
7E0257 - Parasite Bomb life
7E0259 - Triad Thunder life
7E025B - Spinning Blades life
7E025D - Ray Shot life
7E025F - Gravity Well life
7E0261 - Frost Shield life
7E0263 - Tornado Fang life
7E0265 - Hyper Chip life

7E026A - Armor Pieces collection
7E026B - Max life
7E026D - Heart Tank collection

Where Zero's data will be stored.  Right now I'm working on heart tanks, though, this may be a 'tad' bit more difficult than I thought.  Storing it is fine, but reading the data is going to be really.. awkward.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:24:11 pm by justin3009 »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 08, 2013, 01:53:54 pm »
That's fantastic. It'll be great to see this finished.

Threxx

« Reply #527 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:04 pm »
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone know where I can find an unheadered version of the rom to play the hack?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 09, 2013, 12:31:15 am »
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone know where I can find an unheadered version of the rom to play the hack?
None. And please don't ask for ROMs here. You haven't read the rules here, haven't you? >:(

Anyways, if you already have a ROM of your own, just use this utility to remove the header = http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/
Then use the patch to that no_header ROM.

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:46 am »
Where is patch for Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero ?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:56 pm »
Old Version - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/888/

Try looking in the 'ROM Hacks' category on the side if you're looking for certain hacks.

New version is still in progress and will be for quite a long while still.

Edit: Well, just found out something interesting about 7E1FD1 which is supposedly the Armor Pieces you've collected.  Apparently, that's also the Sub-Tank counter.  Setting to 0F will give you all armor pieces, but setting to FF will give you all armors AND all sub-tanks.  I had no idea they shared a value!

Edit 2: Max life, Heart Tanks and Energy Tanks are all split accordingly now.  There's a couple bugs left with their max life still but I THINK everything else is working.  They can collect them just fine from what I've tested and filling up/using energy tanks is also independent depending.  Everything seems to be working so far.

Edit 3: Fixed a couple graphical bugs that were starting from the VRAM switch I did for NPC X/Zero.  Just have one more graphical bug and then I think all of those are fixed.  I'm bug testing right now the full hard-swap between X and Zero.  Trying to run through the game as one character to see if everything is working fine.

Edit 4: Just ran through the game a bit while fixing things.  Found a horde of max life and current life bugs that were screwy because of X and Zero's split data.  From what I've tested officially now, ALL of those are fixed.  They both share heart tanks but between two different bytes depending who retrieved it.  In doing so, they have separate routines now to load their max life accordingly.  The Level Select, Doppler, etc.. are all fixed now to combine both Heart Tank values and then check to see if you have the correct data.  So far so good!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:02:19 pm by justin3009 »

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 09, 2013, 02:49:03 pm »
Old Version - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/888/

Try looking in the 'ROM Hacks' category on the side if you're looking for certain hacks.

New version is still in progress and will be for quite a long while still.

Edit: Well, just found out something interesting about 7E1FD1 which is supposedly the Armor Pieces you've collected.  Apparently, that's also the Sub-Tank counter.  Setting to 0F will give you all armor pieces, but setting to FF will give you all armors AND all sub-tanks.  I had no idea they shared a value!

Thanks alot i try to do my best  :happy:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 14, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »
Just an update on what's been going on the past few days:

I've been splitting X and Zero's data quite heavily the past number of days. Weapon Energy, Heart Tanks, Energy Tanks, Bosses Defeated, a new boss counter in RAM, New Game+ option, Difficulty RAM value, new total Heart tanks RAM, collecting energy, collecting life, etc..

As far as I've been testing, everything seems to be working quite nicely. The only place I can think of right now that 'may' be bugged is when you first start off as Zero at the beginning of the game with his max life, otherwise I think everything is okay.

What does this mean? With just a toggle of a value in RAM, X and Zero can have their own stats while continuing the game. One person can defeat all bosses and get all weapons/heart tanks/energy tanks while the other person will have nothing to show for it. You WILL still share Armor Upgrades however as I feel that should probably stay universal at this point.

What does that mean? Here's what's left mostly for the Zero Project:

1. Adding in the difficulty selection on the main menu.
2. Expanding that damn main menu timer. Way too short.
3. Finishing SRAM.
4. Adding in New Game+ Option.
5. Finish Secret Ending.
6. Add in new 'Get Weapon' image for Zero.
7. Add Zero's new animations
8. Add in new animations for both X and Zero for Sabre use.
9. Fix the stupid ladder/dual buster shot.
10. Finish bug fixing

The Zero Project SHOULD be permanently done after that. Once it's all finished, I'll be starting back with X2 most likely. But this is going to take a long, long while to get everything fixed considering I've never added a new option to the main menu before. I'm not sure HOW to make it work quite yet. Everything else will take awhile due to trying to figure out what the code does what. So just hang in there for awhile longer and hopefully this updated Zero Project will be worth the wait.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkUp9ZxaB4&feature=youtu.be - Fixed that annoying Z-Sabre bug!  Was actually really simple to do surprisingly!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:46:14 pm by justin3009 »

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 14, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »
Good job, you are GM MMx3  :thumbsup:

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 14, 2013, 11:58:11 pm »
Awesome job!!!!

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »
This is one of those projects that has me coming back to this site just to check on this thread.

mmx01

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 18, 2013, 08:03:30 pm »
just !!!PLEASE!!!....give Zero and x the ability to Charge on one button and shoot on the other button at the same time (Special Weapon button and X/Z buster seperated)
glad to see you fixed the z-saber bug, but you don't demonstrate how the double charged z-saber works grinding down the
Wall...this is the most sucking bug...especially when you got tunnel rhinos stage @ the mid Boss.
Zero should be able to shoot the double-charged-shots  in a delay of 1-2 Frames one after another.
So my Suggestion is to downgrade a Little bit the damage of the Zero charged-double shots but make them come out faster one after other...this would make a good balance and be cool too  ;)

just give us the possibility to Play x3 pro-like like this guy here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDtihuAcfo
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:11:06 pm by mmx01 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2013, 03:39:39 am »
I'm HOPING to do that but I cannot gaurantee it.  I'll have to look into the control scheme more once I get my side project done and all the other important stuff on the 3.0 project.

There's a bug sliding down the wall with double charge?  I've honestly never noticed really.

I've thought about doing something like that maybe for the later project as people would complain way too much about the gameplay change right now.

LumInvader

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero (Version 3.0 WIP)
« Reply #538 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:05 pm »
Also, the better news, this project is working flawlessly on BSNES from what I can test so far.  There hasn't been any issues at all and it's perfect thus far.  I'm hoping it'll hold out well still when I move the dialogue into banks 21-24.  If so, then this shall be a great start to everything else.

If you got it working on BSNES then perhaps it's also working on the PSP.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »
It SHOULD work on most emulators now hopefully.

Reason why it didn't work on the others is because of a lot of bad JSL's I had.  They were jumping to invalid addresses for LoROM which is why a lot of everything didn't work.