News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.3 & Source Code Released)  (Read 451341 times)

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Fully Playable Zero WIP
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:36 pm »
I don't think changing the AI would make the game that much harder, by it self that is.
I could see a few bosses being more difficult, but they would still have the same attacks.
If a real difficulty patch were to be made, I don't care either way, it would have to change the attacks and bosses themselves.
Either making the projectiles faster, different patterns of said projectiles, do more damage, less time in between attacks ect...

The Z-saber doing 7 damage to most bosses, in a single charged slash and not the 3 slashes,
seems really strong to me, considering Zero already has 2 full charge shots before the slash.
Going with 4-5 damage seems more reasonable like on the medium bosses, but for all bosses.

Great job with all the work so far, looks really good. I like the horizontal bars.
After you have gotten Zero to where you want him to be, I think a good addition would be how weapons affect the Z-Saber.
A fully charged shot would empower that weapon into the Saber somehow, giving Zero an other unique set of moves instead
of just having the charged weapon be the same as X's charged shots.

One question though, do you have plans to change Zero's colors based on the current weapon like X?
Wark!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:23 pm »
I'm with Justin 110% on improving the AI. I think that bosses should react to weapons the same way they did in the original megaman games. Even though they did more damage, it didn't change boss behavior in any way. Some bosses like Tunnel Rhino have poor attack patterns, which allows their attacks to  be dodged way too easily. Since so many people want to play as zero without the changes in difficulty, I agree with those that think there should be two patches.
     I disagree somewhat with john that the X games are too easy. They are only easy if you get everything the game gives you. When you beat the games without using boss weaknesses and without upgrades, the games are actually very difficult. The problem is that the upgrades make the games too easy. For example, having 4 energy tanks is extremely broken as it makes even the strongest bosses easily beatable. I think that a way to fix that is to make them restore up to 8 life per tank instead of 32 per tank. That way getting 4 energy tanks gives you 1 full life bar's worth of energy, which is much more reasonable.

When you say easy, I do hope you don't mean Sigma because in X3 he is extremely broken, especially Kaiser, and he's no pushover in X1 either in his second form. I don't agree with lessening the effectiveness of Sub Tanks. At most what should be done is lessening the number of avaliable tanks to 2 as it happens in MMX4 and on, but even then I don't think its a good idea.

If said change is ever implemented, it should probably be in a separate, optional incremental patch.

Edit: I suppose one way to do that would be reducing tank effectiveness by half, so having four tanks would equall two full lifebars, as in X4 and onward.

August 12, 2010, 07:24:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The Z-saber doing 7 damage to most bosses, in a single charged slash and not the 3 slashes,
seems really strong to me, considering Zero already has 2 full charge shots before the slash.
Going with 4-5 damage seems more reasonable like on the medium bosses, but for all bosses.

From what I understand Zero's buster shots are going to be abolished as the patch progresses
so leaving the saber power as is should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:24:49 pm by Red Soul »

metallicat65

• It's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:50 pm »
Just a random thought I figured I would throw out their.  Good dialogue for B. Buffalo would be for him to mention something about the mavericks from the other MMX games covered in ice.  Something like, "Did you like my ice sculptures X/Zero? You will make a wonder addition to my collection" or something to that effect.  Thought I would mention it before I forgot

Edit: I don't know why in the hell i put this in here.......this doesn't have anything to do with X3
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:06:31 pm by metallicat65 »
"Now let it work.  Mischief, thou art afoot.  Take thou what coarse thou wilt."

--Mark Antony, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

IrohDW

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »
Of course I'm not implying that Kaiser Sigma is easy :o. I'm talking about guys like toxic seahorse and volt catfish that are completely helpless when you use their weaknesses against them. No boss should just sit there and let you hit them all day without putting up a fight regardless of the weapon you use.
     You are right that Sigma's second form in MMX1 is very difficult, but his first form is a total pushover even without his weakness because of how easy it is to avoid his walljumping and sword attacks.
     Reducing tank effectiveness by half sounds good to me. It is a lot more reasonable than what the game currently has.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »
I guess one plus X3 has over the other two is the lack of a secret Street Fighter-ish move
(in X1 one could kill Velguarder with one well placed hit  and in X2 the Shouryuken can kill pretty much anything it touches just as easily).
The golden armor in X3 is more of a nuisance than anything if you ask me, not to mention its gaudy as heck, and the buster part in X3 sucks
royally no matter what.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »
Almost all these "game breakers" that you guys are talking about are optional.  Don't want to use an enemy's weakness?  Don't use it.  Don't want the golden armor?  Don't get it.  I'm not really getting how what's being suggested would add anything to the game, instead of just forcing people to play through it the hard way.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:11 pm »
Almost all these "game breakers" that you guys are talking about are optional.  Don't want to use an enemy's weakness?  Don't use it.  Don't want the golden armor?  Don't get it.  I'm not really getting how what's being suggested would add anything to the game, instead of just forcing people to play through it the hard way.

I agree, the golden armor thing was just a rant on my part.
It stands to fact though that X's buster in X3 is awful when compared to X1 and X2's buster but like I said, a rant;
it doesn't really have to do with the hack.

metallicat65

• It's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2010, 11:08:24 pm »

Well put...but...the X buster upgrade in X3 IS the worst idea imaginable.  It completely lags the whole game, and having to time it is a ridiculous.  If ANYTHING should be changed in this game, it should be X's X-buster upgrade regardless of the point of the hack.  There my two cents on that.  (I had to get a rant in there about that too)

As a side note: you don't have to make 37 different patches just to please everybody. Just make one damn patch and not waste time making others. If it turns out no good...(I'm sure it won't by this point) you'll find out pretty fast by this forum.
"Now let it work.  Mischief, thou art afoot.  Take thou what coarse thou wilt."

--Mark Antony, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »
I dunno. The only thing I would want to change about the X Buster in X3 is the charged sound effect. In X1, when you shot a charged shot, you could here the static and the raw power. In X2 and X3, when you shot it, all you got was a BLOOP!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:20 pm »
Separating a huge patch into a handful modular patches is actually very easy & quick.

IrohDW

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »

Well put...but...the X buster upgrade in X3 IS the worst idea imaginable.  It completely lags the whole game, and having to time it is a ridiculous.  If ANYTHING should be changed in this game, it should be X's X-buster upgrade regardless of the point of the hack.  There my two cents on that.  (I had to get a rant in there about that too)

As a side note: you don't have to make 37 different patches just to please everybody. Just make one damn patch and not waste time making others. If it turns out no good...(I'm sure it won't by this point) you'll find out pretty fast by this forum.
I actually started making a hack that would do just that. It makes the X-buster do the same amount of damage to bosses as it does to normal enemies. I don't know why, but for some reason they made the X-buster do the proper amount of damage to enemies, but not the right amount of damage to bosses. I haven't finished it because of how time consuming getting the offsets for each boss is. If you guys want, I can finish it and give the rest of the offsets and values to Justin for use with this project. It would give people that use this hack an incentive to use X instead of just playing the original game.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2010, 12:16:05 am »
The Z-Buster will be an optional thing.  What I'm planning to do is make the Z-sabre his main weapon and have the Z-Buster be a "Sub-Weapon" that you can switch to.  Eventually, X will have the same thing once you have the Z-Sabre.  His buster will be his main weapon, but the Z-Sabre could be an optional weapon.

No, I think I'll leave his colors the same.  I'm not really sure how to make them change right now anyway, that's something I'd rather not hassle with.

Also Vanya, with how many things I'm going to have to move around and make room, it'll be a pain in the ass to have certain specifics for people.  The easiest ones would be the weapon damage and such or any changes to energy tanks and the basic stuff, but new dialogue, music etc would be way too much of a hassle to separate for people.

Also, an odd note that I checked..I was trying to remove the pause of the game when you get life or a heart tank, and apparently if you remove the delay, you'll fall through floors or sink into walls and such.  How in the hell does that even link up?
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:13 am »
The main site of the Rockman Zero Collection has given us more detail about Zero's Past and the Sigma Virus.
Check this thread folks if you want to know more.
http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=4021.0

Please make use of that information in order to avoid fanon as much as possible.

Zan, Hypershell and Marshmallow Man are currently the most knowledgeable persons about any known Rockman Lore.

Edit: Can you change the Dr.Light X3 theme to the one from X1 (and X5)? It is one of my favorite themes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZwOEMuDgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICTvx1t3n94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQbRQHgi5v4
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:40:49 am by Thanatos-Zero »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:55 am »
Music from X1 is built completely different than X2/X3.  I can't change it to any PS1 versions of the game either unless we're somehow able to convert songs to MMX3's engine.  Otherwise I would have used music from X1 and X4+ already.

Edit: My god I'm tempted to study how on the SPC's are created in X3.  I really want to recreate some of the future Megaman themes for this.  Most notably Vile's theme from Maverick Hunter X.  His Central Highway theme is outright fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:04:37 am by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

MutantBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »
Ooh. I'm just throwing this out here cause I'm curious...

could you hack in the armor from X1 or X2

to give X different something anyhow.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »
Easily done but I'm sticking with X3 stuff and improving it if possible.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »
MutantBuster, before we are going for tons of requests, keep in mind that hacking and to program a game are difficult as hell. We should be thankful that justin3009 uses his free time to do something like that of his own We shouldn't push him that much. Too much pressure isn't good for the health.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »
Also Vanya, with how many things I'm going to have to move around and make room, it'll be a pain in the ass to have certain specifics for people.  The easiest ones would be the weapon damage and such or any changes to energy tanks and the basic stuff, but new dialogue, music etc would be way too much of a hassle to separate for people.

That can get quite complicated, yes.
I personally don't like the idea of changing the music. It seems unnecessary.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 06:34:47 pm »
No songs have been changed except the boss theme for Zero.  All the songs are still retained, I just used one of the empty slots and had it redirect itself to the new music.  Zero and X can have completely separate sound tracks if they want.  I'm preparing it like this for future versions if we ever get to the point of adding more new music and/or figure out how the SPC core works.  Pretty much just a setup just in case.

Edit: Just an update.  Found where and how each animation is loaded now, just still don't know how to determine the frames.

@3F8000 - x1F8000 - 64 CB 3F [3FCB64] - X's animation data
@3FCB64 - x1FCB64 - E7 03 - X Buster Shoot
@3FCB66 - x1FCB66 - 6F 04 - X Jump Buster Shoot

I don't understand how the X Buster firing is E7 03 yet the frames are at 4B CF

@3FCF4B - Frame 1 Delay [ 05 ]
@3FCF4C - ??? [ 00 ]
@3FCF4D - Frame 1 Number [ 31 ]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:27:37 am by justin3009 »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRZXRSf-3Y&fmt=18

The dialog was exellent performed Justin.^^  :thumbsup: