News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 253925 times)

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #800 on: January 08, 2018, 06:39:17 pm »

Wow! That portrait looks amazing! Great job Metalwario64!

Metalwario64:
I am curious about how the image looks. Is it maxing out the color palette? The effect with the pixels make it look like it's for the sega genesis. What is that pixel effect called dithering? If the color palette isn't maxed out is it possible to add more colors so it doesn't have that dithering effect? If you look at zeros face, forehead, and the blue gems they don't have that dithering effect and it makes the image look more smooth. If all of zero looked like that it would probably make it look a little better. Ether way it is a phenomenal job and congrats on creating it Metalwario64.

justin3009:
Your mmx3 project keeps getting better and better. This is awesome!

The image maxes out the color palette entirely. The original image was 20 colors and I was attempting to split the palette like the introduction sequence does, but the colors are all mashed together at all times so it was impossible. So I requested that he cut it down to 15 colors (Which honestly, looks even better than the 20 color one to me)

The dithering he used mimics the style of X3 on how it handled the larger art images. You can see in the introduction that they're very dithered and the Get Weapon screen too.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:14 pm »
Do you have a link to view the original 20 color image or can you post it? It would be awesome to be able to see the difference in the both of them.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 08, 2018, 07:50:24 pm »
- Original image with 20 colors.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 08, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »
Cool thanks for posting it. I'm guessing there isn't a version without any of the dithering?

Is the you got weapon screen using all 3 background layers? How much space does the tiles for the mmx and zero portrait take up in vram?

Sorry for all of the questions just thinking of ideas on how to increase the color count. Maybe when this part of your project is finished and I get some extra time I might look into using mode 7 and maybe the msu-1 chip for the you got weapon screen to increase the color count.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 08, 2018, 09:33:23 pm »
The dithering is intentional, because if it were just 15-20 colors with no dithering, each differing shade would be noticeable, and there'd be an apparent "banding" effect. The dithering when viewed on a CRT with composite will look like another shade, and will make the image smoother overall.

Also, I didn't dither the grey part of the helmet or the crystals because they're too small, the crystals especially don't have nearly enough space, and the top of the head is already kind of busy, so trying to dither it would make certain details like the two lines above his head crystal look less defined.

X wasn't entirely dithered either, so for those examples I just went ahead and left then non-dithered. They also weren't dithered on Zero's intro portrait.

I never made one that wasn't dithered. Even my earliest attempts which I've shared with no one were dithered.

Also, one other thing about the weapon portrait is that it should probably be positioned on the bottom of the screen instead of the top, as X's is. I only say that because if this were played on a CRT, the overscan would crop a bit of Zero's head off, and that's probably a bit more important a detail than his feet. ;D

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 09, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »
I could probably do that. My biggest concern was getting Zero fully visible on the screen. If I move him down even the slightest bit then he's going to lose 8 pixels right off the bat there which is kind of an annoyance to me but it's not a big deal. It's kind of a thing where I could go full authenticity and bump it down or just have people deal with how it is at this point. We'll have to see how it works.

Very Minor Update:

So I've decided officially now to create back-ups of my .ASM files and my current ROM and start redoing my .asm files. It won't take terribly long, but I figured now would be the absolute best time to start reorganizing and rewriting my data up a bit.

Right now, everything is using VERY hard set locations which becomes an absolute ass to write around. So I'm going back to the beginning and just having one 'base' address where all the code starts and then having it all be sequential as kind of a blob, as it should. This makes it MUCH easier to shuffle data around when I want as if I want to organize palette code with palette code, well I can just move where it is in the .ASM file and it'll fix everything else.

I'm going to reorganize all my consistent addresses as well, like my RAM that has specific variables that get read a lot, same with ROM offsets for common routines too. They're going to be moved all into a separate file that'll be read by the other files when needed.

With the reorganization, I'm going to write much more thorough notes on what they do and possibly what they 'were' before hand as well. I'd comment out the actual ASM code that it was before but I'd be blowing the file up well into the 10,000 line range at that point. We'll see though. I just want to get this all blobbed up first before I go anywhere else.

The biggest thing that this will change is that my free space will easily be doubled and possibly even tripled from what I'm using now. This is an absolute necessity for plans I have in the farther future with this project and X3 as a whole.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 10, 2018, 12:28:18 am »
Alright, in that case it doesn't really matter.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 21, 2018, 05:19:29 pm »
Mini Update Time:
1. I've been steadily reworking my .ASM files into the new method I'm doing. Very slowly but surely. I've knocked out about 90% of the code, just got one file that has quite a few locations with my old names that I was using that needs to be setup and that should get that done for the most part. Then it's just debugging and make sure it actually inserts into the ROM properly. About a third of the files import just fine, still have to test the others. I'll wait until I get all my code switched over first though just so it's easier to debug it all.

With that, I was able to reduce my code coverage from 32,000 bytes down to 8,200! Obviously that final number is growing as I'm moving more and more routines out, but still, the number is at least half of what it was and serves the same purpose.

2. With updating the .ASM files, I've put my 'main' file that gets called by all the others as the base for all the new code name locations. It's easier to import this way instead of having several locations scattered in which I have no idea what the hell they are anymore.

With that, I also set up my main file to remove excess code STRAIGHT AWAY so anything else that gets written there won't be screwed up. The main file serves as this basically:

First part - Remove all excess code (IE: Large amounts of data that is moved and the old location no longer serves a purpose. It becomes empty space)
Second part - Tables. Tables, tables, tables. All of my tables and a good chunk of the original game's tables will go right at the beginning of the new code locations. This way it absolutely secures that there's enough room for all the table data. It's also easier to organize in this manner as well.
Third part - All new code I've implemented.

This makes it ton easier to just organize and sift through specific data instead of having to hop through multiple files.

There's probably some improvements I can still do with my .ASM files but so far, this is the best decision I've made. Wish I would've done it earlier, but now I at least have a basic idea of how to handle things. All my separate files tackle very specific parts of the game like the menu, game play itself, events then I have my main ones that house all the original data I've created along with expanding various things. Hopefully I can finalize what I want my method to be soon and keep going that route to improve my projects farther in the future.

That's about all! I can't really give any screenshot progress as none is being made. It's just all behind the scenes improvement.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:38 pm »
http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/NBdKLEaf/file.html - V4.0 beta test!

This is NOT the final nor does it include some of the core features like the Save/Load game system.

Please read the readme.txt for a few things as well.

If you want to play as Zero all the way through, including the intro stage, set your cheats and put 7E0A8E02/7E1FFF02. You can switch to him like normal, but if you want to see his side in the intro just set those.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »
The only thing off the bat that seems off to me is that X and Zero's air dash length seems to have been noticeably increased. In all of the regular games, air dashing was always a bit shorter than ground dashes, and these are just as long, if not longer, and it feels a little overpowered to me. The faster start up of the upward dash is appreciated, but the dash itself seems a bit too fast (might be my imagination, I'll have to check vanilla X3 later), but I can't recall if those were from your older versions.

On another note, I'm glad that I didn't just stop at my first attempt at a weapon portrait posted earlier in this thread, because it wasn't very good. I'm glad you were able to separate the green and blue too, so it has an edge over even the official in game intro art in that regard. :p
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:38:58 am by Metalwario64 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 18, 2018, 10:55:35 am »
The Air Dash timer got set to the full dash timer accidentally. I'll probably work on changing that back to normal soon. However, the actual dash speed and such was not modified whatsoever nor was the animation (Unless it's Zero, then he has a lengthier and faster dash time with Black Armor).

Many MANY bugs have been fixed but I have not uploaded a new patch yet. I'm trying to work out the few more kinks that were noted before I do another beta round.

Bugs fixed:
1. Sub-tanks now store health properly on entering a level and collecting a health refill.
2. Sub-tanks now also store and get checked properly on the stage select and in-game.
3. Events were fixed on both X/Zero to disable the sub-weapon bar from appearing in events.
4. Blast Hornet being affected by Gravity Well is fixed.
5. All stages and enemies are now properly updated depending on what bosses you have defeated.
6. Hyper Charge is now properly capped on life.
7. Bit/Byte will now spawn no matter what once you're on the final level before the Doppler Stages, of course, unless they're defeated or fought against already.
8. Fixed a crashing issue with the Boulder in Tunnel Rhino's stage. Level 2 green buster damage value was not properly set so it caused a lock.
9. Fixed a double jump value issue with Zero when he appears in the intro stage.

There's probably more but that's all I have listed so far. Heart Tanks are still heavily bugged and entering a Ride Armor with a charged buster is bugged too. Bosses can be refought multiple times on their normal level as well since there's no proper check on that yet.

Zero still doesn't have his victory or ride armor sprites in yet either (Not a bug but just a mention).

McMarth

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 18, 2018, 01:28:54 pm »
Played around with this a bit and I had a blast! I do agree with Metalwario64 about the airdash length. Zero's feels pretty long. Also, I know that the point is to make Zero good right off the bat, but him starting with air dash and double jump seems off to me. Zero has neither of these at the beginning of X4 and doesn't start with double jump until X6. Is there any way Zero could gain these abilities in conjunction with a boss power after defeating different bosses (kinda like in X4)?

And I must say, that added portrait of Zero looks amazing.

ofernandofilo

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:39 am »
I believe that it was fixed already, but (a) I got the same sub-tank 6 times with Zero and 6 times with X, in the same gameplay.

There was sound of getting the same sub-tank at first four times with Zero, plus 2 times without sound, and then I got sound of getting the same sub-tank + one extra weapon for the first four sub-tank with X and plus last 2 times without sound.

I got the first four weapons for each "new" sub-tank with X.

(b) Zero and X air-dash looks op.

(1) there is some place to get beta versions faster?

(2) do you pretend to release some kind of tutorial/HowToDo or interview video about the making of this hack?

thx for your hard and great work!

cheers

zhaoyun99

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 14, 2018, 01:01:51 pm »
Capcom confirmed now that the X3 ver. that will be use in the Legacy Collection would be the SNES ver. Rejoice PPL!!!!

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 15, 2018, 01:12:49 am »
Capcom confirmed now that the X3 ver. that will be use in the Legacy Collection would be the SNES ver. Rejoice PPL!!!!
I mean, that's nice and all, but it has nothing to do with this hack.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 15, 2018, 08:27:12 am »
If anything, I feel like not buying the collection because it doesn't include this amazing piece of work.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31:57 am »
Just came to take a look at this thread after seeing your updates on twitter.

I'm really looking forward to this new version!

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
Holy crap, didn't even know you were on Twitter. Finally, a Frog Ride armor that looks usable. I get what they were originally going for, but it's so frustrating to pilot in the original that I never use it. Not to mention everything you could use it for is obtainable other ways, so it's often useless on any playthrough in vanilla. The save screen is looking super nice too. I played through the latest beta you linked on Twitter with "overclocking" via SNES9x-libretro and it was great. I cannot wait for 4.0 final.

The only bug I noticed was during the second fight with Vile in Doppler Stage 2, Vile's text " "the new "Goliath"! " did not scroll off the text box properly and was caught at the top until the text box began to shrink. I encountered that without the overclock as well. I was also playing as Zero during that.

I don't suppose this is possible right now, but maybe someday I think it would be great if the extra couple of screens and Vile teleporter from the prototype's Toxic Seahorse level could be re-implemented. I love all the changes made towards encouraging different stage and item collection orders, or making each playthrough different with Bit and Byte randomization for example, so that would fit in really well I think.

zhaoyun99

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 17, 2018, 03:10:27 am »
I mean, that's nice and all, but it has nothing to do with this hack.

I think it would because it would be easier to apply this mod to the PC ver.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #819 on: April 20, 2018, 01:14:55 am »
This sounds like a full-time job editing this game. Unfortunately, the site admin locked the MegaEd X forum thread so I can no longer notify people of updates, but once I get several on the ground running I can update the github, or create a new thread. justin3009, how is that fan project MMX: Corrupted coming along? Hopefully it doesn't get abandoned. Looks awesome.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds