Mini Update Time:
1. I've been steadily reworking my .ASM files into the new method I'm doing. Very slowly but surely. I've knocked out about 90% of the code, just got one file that has quite a few locations with my old names that I was using that needs to be setup and that should get that done for the most part. Then it's just debugging and make sure it actually inserts into the ROM properly. About a third of the files import just fine, still have to test the others. I'll wait until I get all my code switched over first though just so it's easier to debug it all.
With that, I was able to reduce my code coverage from 32,000 bytes down to 8,200! Obviously that final number is growing as I'm moving more and more routines out, but still, the number is at least half of what it was and serves the same purpose.
2. With updating the .ASM files, I've put my 'main' file that gets called by all the others as the base for all the new code name locations. It's easier to import this way instead of having several locations scattered in which I have no idea what the hell they are anymore.
With that, I also set up my main file to remove excess code STRAIGHT AWAY so anything else that gets written there won't be screwed up. The main file serves as this basically:
First part - Remove all excess code (IE: Large amounts of data that is moved and the old location no longer serves a purpose. It becomes empty space)
Second part - Tables. Tables, tables, tables. All of my tables and a good chunk of the original game's tables will go right at the beginning of the new code locations. This way it absolutely secures that there's enough room for all the table data. It's also easier to organize in this manner as well.
Third part - All new code I've implemented.
This makes it ton easier to just organize and sift through specific data instead of having to hop through multiple files.
There's probably some improvements I can still do with my .ASM files but so far, this is the best decision I've made. Wish I would've done it earlier, but now I at least have a basic idea of how to handle things. All my separate files tackle very specific parts of the game like the menu, game play itself, events then I have my main ones that house all the original data I've created along with expanding various things. Hopefully I can finalize what I want my method to be soon and keep going that route to improve my projects farther in the future.
That's about all! I can't really give any screenshot progress as none is being made. It's just all behind the scenes improvement.