News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ice Metal [Super Metroid hack] [Released] [1.30 update!]  (Read 39686 times)

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
Ice Metal [Super Metroid hack] [Released] [1.30 update!]
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:43 pm »
Ice metal is ROM hack based on super metroid and just like Super Metroid it's a exploration platforming game. I tried to make Ice Metal a bit more exploration based then the original though. So to make sure you get the best exploration experience I had to make the combat slightly easier, to some extent. This might be good in a way as new players that have never played super metroid before get it a bit easier. But long time fans can still make the game quite hard by trying to find the most challenging/fastest way to beat the game.

The hack will also future new graphics drawn by me and a few other people. But you will also see graphic from both the original game and Zero mission/fusion in there too.

Currently, all level design for the whole hack is done and every known bug have been tweaked out as well. (My beta tester will do another run once I tweaked some more though.)

So all in all, the only things left to do before the release is to make the in-game map as well as any fine tuning that may be needed.

I will, of course, supply some screenshots as well as a trailer. =)
Do however, note that the HUD have been changed since the screenshots where taken. (As well as the morphball)

Surface: 1, 2
Sewers: 1, 2
Poison Point: 1, 2
Steamfair: 1, 2
Dark Dust: 1, 2
Ice: 1, 2
???: 1, 2

[Trailer link]

------------------------------------------

It's out now, download it from here: [Link]

uploading to romhacking.net shortly.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Ice Metal [Super Metroid hack]
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
A new Metroid is a good thing, imo. And one that stresses exploration more than combat is good too, as long as combat isn't boring or too far in between.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:19:41 am »
This doesn't look too bad at all.  I'm liking this very much.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:37:41 am »
As I said, this is actually quite awesome looking, and I'm very interested in all further progress updates :)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:27:07 am »
Exploration-focused Super Metroid hack? Sign me up :thumbsup:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:11:48 pm »
I hate how a lot of new games are focusing more on battles and a lot less on exploration. Then you have those games that "stress exploration" but just have a lot of empty open spaces.

/Random rant.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:47 am »
I hate how a lot of new games are focusing more on battles and a lot less on exploration. Then you have those games that "stress exploration" but just have a lot of empty open spaces.

/Random rant.
Considering how claustrophobic and guided most games feel, I would say that any feeling openness is welcome as long as it's not of the GTA "OMG SPACE" variety.

Goveynetcom

• Mad Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »
Man, lately I have been seeing some awesome rom hacking stuff. This looks fantastic as well, can't wait for a release.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:50:56 pm »
Then you have those games that "stress exploration" but just have a lot of empty open spaces.
hahaha. That is pretty terrible.
When Reason Fails

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »
Sorry for the late reply! =)

And, a lot of empty areas is not really exploration, as if everything is the same, then what is there to explore? Regardless, I don't think that will be an issue here.

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:39:53 am »
While the game futures a set theme of colors that are designed with the story in mind, I knew before hand that there will be people who thinks it's to blue and should have more colors on the scale.

Therefor, with the main release there will be an alternative patch that mixes up several of the area color choices to add more perspective and clash between the tilesets.

For example, the ice will still remain blue, but I repainted the crystal cavern tileset to add in a bit of a mix.

(compared able to the other shoots in original post from "ice" area.)

Also note that the status bar is messed up these two shoots due to development reasons and it's nothing that you will see in the final product.

Also, I would like to state that I'm not dead or anything. I'm just extremely lazy type of person, but regardless, the project is going forward.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 01:39:00 pm »
Glad to see this is still going strong, this is definitely one of the projects I'm personally most interested in  :thumbsup:

The alternative color scheme looks good, though I'll probably play it as originally intended.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 05:45:22 am »
Given the name of the hack and the context... blue is cool, yo.

But that first pic is nice :)  And reminds me of Yoshi's Island in the background.

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:36 am »
But that first pic is nice :)  And reminds me of Yoshi's Island in the background.
That's actually where that background is from. :p

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
its good see a metroid hack without the original graphics, of this way this seems a
new title not a modification  8)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:02 pm »
This looks neat! I'll certainly give it a spin when it's done.

But first, please quell my fears about one thing. You're not going to make this stupidly hard, or require that the player perform crazy glitches/insane walljumps/morphball tricks, are you?

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:19 am »
You only need to learn two new things when playing this hack in order to beat it

The new morphball bomb timing. (More in the style of zero mission)
And mid air morphing. (AKA, morphing into ball while still traveling upwards.)

Of course, if you get skilled enough at bomb jumping then you won't need to mid air morph. :P
I would also like to assure you that mid air morphing is by far not hard. You only have to press down twice while still holding down jump. =)

Then of course you need some slightly harder tricks to get 100% item count, but I have tried to avoid using tricks I know most people find hard. But of course, you can sequence break and get items early if you have better skills with walljumping and such. =)

Edit:
I had to show this picture:

metallicat65

• It's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:14 am »
Looks interesting enough.  Ready to see and explore!

But first, please quell my fears about one thing. You're not going to make this stupidly hard, or require that the player perform crazy glitches/insane walljumps/morphball tricks, are you?
Indeed
"Now let it work.  Mischief, thou art afoot.  Take thou what coarse thou wilt."

--Mark Antony, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Kenzya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 05:59:57 pm »
I'll be visiting this forum just to check if this gets released. Can't wait :)

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 08:54:37 pm »
I was planning on doing a front page article when I release it, so you would not have to go to the forum. =)