News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: Public Translation Submissions and Foreign Language Patch Support!  (Read 7830 times)

RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Nightcrawler

Once again ROMhacking.net brings you more site features and continues to put the power in your hands. We now provide the ability for public translation patch submissions as well as foreign (non-English) patch support due to popular demand!

We now support Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish patch submissions. If your language isn't on that list and you have a patch to submit, Contact Us so we can add your language! We are encouraging bringing together the largest pool of talented ROM hackers in the world.

I'd like to clarify a few things. First, English is the default selection in the Translation section. You will NOT see any foreign patches unless you explicitly select a language or the 'All' option! Second, this announcement applies to files only. The actual site and forums will still remain in English. English will remain the 'standard' communication language on this site.

So, let's start submitting the foreign patches you'd like to see in the archive. Also, feel free to respond to this announcement in the Forums. We are always interested in community feedback!

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/submitfiles/)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
K, I'm back to ask annoying questions about submission features. :P I just spent about 20in getting a submission ready that was consumed by back button when I had failed to fill in the category and a few other fields. When I go back and do this again, and copy my review into notepad so I don't lose it this time, I want to be better prepared.

What is the "Progress Image" exactly? There are spots for 4 additional images, which one should be the title screen? Release date was one of the fields that I was slapped on the wrist about. If no patch has yet been released what would be the best thing to put? 0-0-0000? Perhaps there should be a default value of "none"? I think it got me about filename as well. If there is no patch yet, what would be best? Thx

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Hm, I am sure translations without patch don't go through the form at all  :-\

The progress Image is more or less only used for us staff to delete them  ::) The Whirlpool had them for projects which hadn't a patch yet, but I don't see why you shouldn't just use the 4 regular images.

I think we have to rethink submissions of in progress projects without patches :(
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
I think we have to rethink submissions of in progress projects without patches :(

Perhaps. Only accepting translations for which a patch is available is a possible solution, but folks might be tempted to release an "in progress" patch, only to be able to create a translation project page, increasing the number of semi-useless patches out there.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations

Perhaps. Only accepting translations for which a patch is available is a possible solution, but folks might be tempted to release an "in progress" patch, only to be able to create a translation project page, increasing the number of semi-useless patches out there.

I thought we decided not to create any new pages for projects without patches? Obviously we have some already in the archive that were apart of whirlpool, though, so...I don't know.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie

I thought we decided not to create any new pages for projects without patches? Obviously we have some already in the archive that were apart of whirlpool, though, so...I don't know.

I thought that as well until someone said I was wrong and we create pages for projects without patches as long as there is decent progress. The point was to filter out progress announcements, so we do not create an entry for every single hack attempt which may fail later.

One of us is wrong  :-\
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
i was under the impression that we had put an end to 'in progress but no patch' entries and the older ones were grandfathered in.

if you want a news post, that's fine, but please don't ask us to clutter the database with blank entries.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
:o Wow..

Ok.. here's the deal.

1.) I've removed the 'Progress Image' field from the public submissions. That's unnecessary for the public. That was sort of left overlooked from when I wasn't really sure what my goal was.

2.) At this time, we're not excepting public submissions with no patch release. It's called 'Submit Files' for a reason. ;)

3.) The official site policy at this time is we CAN have pages for incomplete translations ONLY if substantial progress is shown. Basically this is to keep out 'useless' entries and only have pages for serious projects. We will not be making pages for every announced project.

So, that's the way things are right now. However, I have long been a supporter of eventually adding to the site the ability to registered members to be able to create and edit their project pages.

filler, since it's you, send me a PM with what projects you're interested in having pages go up for and we can talk further. I think you can be a test subject/pioneer for something a little bit bigger than what we have in place right now that I can probably do this week.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
I've submitted the first Spanish patch for the database; my own Batman translation from 2003.

So yeah. :P
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Cool. Do you have any images for it? We're going to be making images a requirement for the submissions.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
Cool. Do you have any images for it? We're going to be making images a requirement for the submissions.

Not at the moment. I'll whip some up later today.
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
OK, just send me a PM with the links if you don't mind.

Feitang

• 飛影
    • View Profile
Submitted the first one for the Italians, Tales of Phantasia.  ;D