News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ankoku Shinwa the Dark Myth Translation  (Read 8611 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ankoku Shinwa the Dark Myth Translation
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

Update By: snark

All new Beta Patch!

Story: An exciting Murder mystery  with esoteric Buddhism and
Japanese history and legend. 1600 years ago Yamato the Brave dressed in woman's disguise  defeated the Kumaso chief, who
swore vengeance upon Yamato and His descendants. 1600 years
later, the Dark God and his minions are manifesting to fill Kumaso's curse.In this graphic and text adventure,
you are Takeshi, Yamato's descendant, a young man, who sets out
to solve his father's murder at the hands of a  mysterious assailant. Your goal is to  receive the eight chakra marks of the
Serpent from the God Brahma,retrieve mystical items of the
past, and fight horrifying Minions in order to solve the murder.

Beta due to space for word bank names, and title screen gfx issues. Enjoy! :)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.boojumsnark.com/ankoku.html)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Ankoku Shinwa the Dark Myth Translation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:20:14 pm »
I have one question that needs to be asked; do you get to dress in woman's clothing while fighting demons?

Sure this may look bad, coupled with my avatar, but I say bah. Kicking ass while wearing a dress is not a hobby of mine, but I cannot resist a game that allows you to do such a thing.

"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »
Is this related to the the Dark Myth OVA?
vive le zopharsdomaindonutparodiusthewhirlpoolrhdn~!

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:55:40 pm »
Lol!  :D

@NGC Personally I prefer jeans or karate pants when sparring or kickboxing... but it is just hilarious when the storyline involves
fighting the arch-boss while dressed in drag!  :laugh:

@Street trash - Yes, the original story is by Daijiro Moroboshi, who wrote and designed the manga, and it was later adapted to
the Dark Myth OVA. It was a great film, I liked the Japanese version (English sub was bogged with a too-slick professional and
literal translation in my opinion.) Hope you enjoy! :) 

OVA preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKkVx5GOL6U&feature=related
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
That's pretty awesome. Never heard of the manga or the fact it was made into a game. I'm a big fan of the OVA as well so I'll certainly be playing this one.

I played through the first few scenes a little past the first battle. Kind of neat how it combines action with adventure exploration.

Thanks Snark, you always seem to have a flare for translating the most interesting adventure games.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »
They are the best! Whether your thing is Eastern Mythos, oldschool text-based adventure, or dressing up in woman's clothing. Truly making so many peoples wishes come true =)

As is usual it is very cool that you translated an obscure game, that touches on some really cool things. Hah I love it!
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:20:28 pm »
I love text/graphic adventures, especially Jap ones! Will check out soon thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:45:36 am »
The screenshots feel so squished, it kinda bugs out my eyes o.O
Always interesting to see stuff like this getting translated, though!
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:21:58 am »
Yeah, the screenshots are not standard/native size at all. Probably shouldn't have been approved.

http://www.romhacking.net/?&page=help&action=additionalhelp

TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »
@NGC I would certainly hope I like women's clothing since I am one! :) Glad to make your gaming wish come true! These are great gems!
The Eastern/India genre is kind of neat, because it is different.

@ Validus Thanks! Text/graphic combos are one of my favorites,  I liked these things when they first came about. :)

@Sara-Chan Thanks for 1/2 of your statement!  :P You kids and your perfectionism! :P

@NC heh heh, maybe someone could generously offer screenshots, so I don't have to!  8)

Note: If any of you are able to read Japanese, the original manga from '76 is here on amazon.co.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%9A%97%E9%BB%92%E7%A5%9E%E8%A9%B1-%E9%9B%86%E8%8B%B1%E7%A4%BE%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB%E2%80%95%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E7%89%88-%E8%AB%B8%E6%98%9F-%E5%A4%A7%E4%BA%8C%E9%83%8E/dp/4086170906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276914082&sr=8-1

EDIT: For the aesthetically inclined, it looks like there may be a title screen for this after all! (in a week or so.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:13:27 pm by snark »
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:05 am »
Nice to know about the possibly addition of a new title screen. I think the Japanese one itself is pretty darn cool either way.

Also thanks for posting a link to the manga; unfortunately my language skills are still a bit sketchy though but I think I might still try to order it just for the artwork.

Completely off topic (and incredibly creepy as well) but Snark I would easily propose to you based on the sole fact that you're one of my favorite translators. That is if you would have a late 20's ex USMC guy who is currently working as a graphic designer. I'm quite the good cook, well organized, and I have a vast collection of older games that I would present to you as a dowry of my love if that sweetens the deal any?  :D

And yes I might be under the influence of certain liquid substances atm...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:09:06 am by StreetTrash »

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 03:59:05 pm »
C. Dodgson said himself that the Snark cannot be fathomed, and this shown to be the truth, whether your a Bellmen, a Bonnet Maker, a broker, or a baker. You see? I added a nonsensical line to the rule of 3. What I am trying to say my good man, is that Snarks I not ephemeral. You cannot take one in hand. The Snark exist only in your head, so a Snark you cannot wed.

"In the midst of the word he was trying to say

In the midst of his laughter and glee

He had softly and suddenly vanished away"

"What I tell you three times is true."

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
I suppose you do have a point there. I should probably reassess my proposal now that alcohol doesn't have a grip on me. If a snark is as you say then I guess I'll have to accept it and move on... Maybe King Mike would have me. Queen StreetTrash has a nice ring to it I do believe.

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 12:29:41 am »
  " For, although common Snarks do no manner of harm, 
      Yet I feel it my duty to say,
       Some are Boojums---'' The Bellman broke off in alarm,
            For the Baker had fainted away."  :D

Glad that a former Marine and also a scholar of English literature like the translation!   ;D

This is what a snark looks like with out its make-up! :) Do your "e-dating" elsewhere!  :happy:

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:15 am »
Lol, oh god "go do your e-dating elsewhere" how pitiful I must seem from that previous post... In all honesty it was a bit of a jest. I think I've still got a few good years left in me so as not to require begging for female companionship from total strangers over the internet just yet.

I will say, being a Marine was incredibly boring at times, which is one reason I had enough free time to pretty much play any translation I liked. So if you're a gaming nut like myself feel free to enlist and have tons of time to do absolutely nothing but game or watch movies.

Your translations just moved me so that I had to express it in a somewhat odd manner.

This is what a StreetTrash looks like, just so you know what you're missing out on. :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:31:52 am by StreetTrash »

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:25:51 am »
Queen StreetTrash has a nice ring to it I do believe.

You could always be Next Gen Cowgirl. I am terribly sorry for that  :(

Onto the good stuff: "It's a Boo..."  Not quite one the scale of ancient Eastern mythology, and esoteric Buddhism, but it is quite clear that Carrol's work is revered as a modern day mythos (at least some people think so, as my avatar clearly shows)

Best of luck in your next adventure!

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:13 am »
Lol, oh god "go do your e-dating elsewhere" how pitiful I must seem from that previous post... In all honesty it was a bit of a jest. I think I've still got a few good years left in me so as not to require begging for female companionship from total strangers over the internet just yet.

I will say, being a Marine was incredibly boring at times, which is one reason I had enough free time to pretty much play any translation I liked. So if you're a gaming nut like myself feel free to enlist and have tons of time to do absolutely nothing but game or watch movies.

Your translations just moved me so that I had to express it in a somewhat odd manner.

This is what a StreetTrash looks like, just so you know what you're missing out on. :P

:'(  :laugh:

Thanks! Its cool to hear the nice reaction to it! Wow being a Marine boring?! Crumbs, old people in my family told me it was all
was all sand fleas and  bayonets!  :o

Queen StreetTrash has a nice ring to it I do believe.

You could always be Next Gen Cowgirl. I am terribly sorry for that  :(

Onto the good stuff: "It's a Boo..."  Not quite one the scale of ancient Eastern mythology, and esoteric Buddhism, but it is quite clear that Carrol's work is revered as a modern day mythos (at least some people think so, as my avatar clearly shows)

Best of luck in your next adventure!

Thank you! :) You guys have cracked me up laughing!  :laugh:

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 04:03:05 am »
As practically one of the only four females at RHDN, you should be used to this kind of treatment, snarky-poo. :3

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior