News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lazy Shell v3.5b - Super Mario RPG Editor  (Read 19622 times)

giangurgolo

• View Profile
    • giangurgolo rom hacking page
Lazy Shell v3.5b - Super Mario RPG Editor
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:37:40 pm »
Lazy Shell v2.5b has been released, along with v2.0 of The Bob-omb Mafia. The DL location for Lazy Shell provides the source code, too.

Lazy Shell is a third party .NET application written in the C#
programming language which is capable of editing a wide range of
elements within the Super Mario RPG (US) ROM image file.

LAZY SHELL NOTES:
I realized the old version(s) had many many flaws and much room for improvement barring major additions. There are many improvements, fixes, and minor additions to v2.4b. See the file "changes.txt". Remember that this is only a beta version and there may be unknown bugs that will surface later. A more comprehensive readme.txt is included too. I'm still not taking any requests for additions so please don't ask for a music editor, menu graphics editor, etc. Only bugs will be fixed.

Most notable changes in this version are:
* (almost) everything is in decimal format now to avoid confusion.
* options for backing up ROMs on load and/or save
* SNES9X support in the previewers
* a new notes format which organizes everything into only one file in a database
* items, attacks, spells and monsters are drawn using a sophisticated keystroke table like the dialogue
* said keystroke tables (3 total, for menus, descriptions, and dialogue) can be modified, exported and imported via .txt file
* importing and exporting is more organized with a small form for each
* you can clear a range of elements, the most useful being clearing a specific range of dialogues to make room for space
* copy/paste support for NPCs
* dec <> hex helper (press F2) in each editor, shows dec/hex for when mouse is moved over number

Screens:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

THE BOB-OMB MAFIA NOTES:
Every element of this hack was designed and modified exclusively with the editor. No other applications were used.

Features of the hack include:
* 35 entirely new levels   * 50+ new overworld events   * 100+ new dialogues   
* 12 new bosses   * several new items   * 2 new spell animations   * actual game strategy

This hack most predominantly demonstrates the capabilities of the level editor and event script editor portions of the editor.

The 1st version of TBBM was rife with bugs, bad scripting, terrible game strategy, and obnoxiously horrible dialogue. The new version has all (I think) bugs fixed, actual gameplay, the dialogue is cleaned up, and in addition to these revisions there are also several additions. A world map is used, and a new boss is added as well as a secret area. Two new spells, several new attacks for the final boss, and a puzzle room were added. Several elements (such as levels) were rearranged for strategic purposes. The hack's game strategy is much more balanced and actually presents a challenge this time. If you decide to play it and end up getting frustrated, I included a strategy in the .zip to help with progressing through it. If you want to use cheats, I'm not encouraging it but it doesn't make any difference to me anyways.

Screens:

Also, if you post the password given when you beat the hack here I'll post a special version 1.1 of TBBM of which the only difference is several weird spells and attacks (mostly by red thwomp and the forest boss).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:11:00 pm by giangurgolo »

kando

• View Profile
nice! cheers man :DD

Daniel Eakins

• View Profile
Awesome! It's like Super Mario RPG's Temporal Flux!

giangurgolo

• View Profile
Version 2.5b has been released. Download at the same location above. This version lets you import images into the main title (do this in the world maps tab of the sprites editor). Here is an example I did using the editor:

Also, this version fixes the problem with map point name letters. They now draw using the keystroke table which they didn't before.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Your page still says v2.4b, though the previous version's about says v2.2. Pretty sure that was 2.4b, but now I don't know. :'( In any event, nice job on this release. :thumbsup:

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

giangurgolo

• View Profile
It's up now, thanks for the heads up.

Darkdata

• People who hurt others to feel better are idiots.
    • View Profile
So, odd error, I think it is an error anyway.

When you export a graphic, it will always export the page of that graphic: but when you go to import,where you right click on the sprite tiles is where the file starts being wrote to.

So, if you don't click the top left block when importing, you mess a bunch of tiles up.

Also, I can't seem to import any changed graphics for sprite "Spell Effects" It gives a generic can't import error.

----

Also, a small note to people importing graphics from PNG for the title screen. It asks for both layer 1 and 2 when you go to import. Don't be dumb like me and import both layers as L2!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:06:51 am by Darkdata »

giangurgolo

• View Profile
You can only import images (jpg,png,gif) into the main title logo for now.

I am currently working on finishing v2.6b. It will fix all of these errors, and add importing/exporting support for those things that don't have it. Also, since importing images into the main title L1 and L2 takes extremely long (as you've probably noticed), it will show you the active progress of the importing and you'll also have the option to cancel the process if you start losing patience.

plokman

• View Profile
Hey I know this is a older version but how do I get rid of this Error ? I'm going to try the new version and hope it works but does anyone know whats wrong with this error?

Kenzya

• View Profile
I was trying out v2.0 of the bob-omb mafia and came across a rather serious issue. I have Mallow and I got the second gas mask. Now, the game freezes when I select the second gas mask. That's it. My only option is to run through the gas infested areas with only one gas mask.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: Lazy Shell v2.5b (SMRPG app) + The Bob-omb Mafia v2.0 (hack) released
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:58:36 am »
Classic Zsnes. Use an older version (1.50 works).

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Kenzya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
Fixes my problem.

And, man, what a frustrating hack this is.

Daniel Eakins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:45 am »
So the Bob-omb Mafia starts with no healing, no money, and insanely-strong monsters that don't die in one turn whether you hit them with Attack or Jump. How the HELL are we supposed to beat that hack? :(

giangurgolo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 03:18:49 pm »
The monsters shouldn't be hard at all if you follow the strategy in "strategy.txt". Monsters give you a lot of XP to hasten leveling up since this is much shorter than the original game. The strategy file should help with following an easy leveling-up process. When you first get Mallow, don't head straight into the sewers. Do what the .txt file says and level up in the forest first. I was able to beat the hack without using save states or cheats.

Kenzya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 06:16:01 pm »
I didn't even know I could go anywhere else besides the house and sewer. I just used fast forward to level up to level 30 in the sewers.

But still.. When you start this hack and enter your first battle, if there's a bob-omb then the player is going to die. In fact, if there's anything but two molds then the player is going to die. I thought I was doing something wrong at the beginning. Why does the showcase hack have to have so much grinding? Also, should I really have to follow a strategy guide in order to beat this or even just get passed the beginning? It's just frustrating from the beginning.

giangurgolo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 10:19:11 am »
Sorry you had such a :banghead: experience with the hack but I guess it's my fault mostly. I should put in an in-game strategy using the dialogue that guides the player to certain parts of the levels, or away from. I never thought the first monsters were that menacing--I was worried they'd be too easy (I thought they were push-overs, but I knew exactly how to beat them).

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »
You're the creator of the hack so of course it'd seem a lot easier to you.  That's why there's beta testing with other people so you know from a different perspective how tough it would be.  It seems everyone's just screaming at you right now for the difficulty being so hard right off the bat D:
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Kenzya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »
I just chronicled what I was experiencing/thinking throughout the hack. I enjoyed the writing and theme. I thought the dialogue flowed very well and didn't feel generic. I felt it was weird that there were several points where grinding were required for the player to progress. It is a small hack, so it would be nice if there was more momentum to guide the player. It was a little off-putting when the first enemy I fought blew up and instantly killed me.

It wasn't all negative and I like it enough to play through it. Before playing this hack though, I had never really checked out the editor but the hack did stir ideas up in my mind for my own creation.

giangurgolo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently working on v3.0 of the editor right now. It will be a reworking of control integration and the editors will be far more user friendly and less esoteric / cryptic. Editors will be separated into individual forms instead of being bunched together on separate tabs. The effect and sprite editors especially will have their assembly changed to something more organic and flexible. Now that my knowledge of C# has advanced considerably, I've found more efficient ways of arranging things. Here's what the finished portions look like:

Supreme Dirt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 10:51:39 am »
I've run into a problem.

I've been trying to make Honey Syrup cause a status when used.

However, so far, I cannot get it to do so.

I have Effect Type set to Infliction, and I have tried seperately Mute, Sleep, Poison, and Fear. None of them work.

Perhaps I'm just missing something obvious, but it's kind of important to my hack.

~Supreme Dirt

*edit* So I switched to the new version, only to get the error that Exits and Overlaps were not saved, as they exceed the maximum allotted space. What? I switched to an older version and imported the map data from a clean ROM. This won't work when I start modifying maps, though. What's up with this?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:35:32 am by Supreme Dirt »