News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation  (Read 96077 times)

Quirino

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2010, 03:12:39 am »
Oh, yes. That would be very helpful :) Thanks! Will you send me a PM or want my e-mail (which you can also find at the help-wanted ad).

I'll see what I can do with the transparency.

And the icons are only for weapons indeed. I won't use them in any other case even if they talk about a weapon. If I translated all weapons and items with icon, I'd better send you this rom for the DTE values, right? Sorry that I changed the font, but this one's just extremely useful as it's easy to fit more characters in the same tile (thanks to the small 'i' and 'l').

And I'm planning to change 'lockpick' to '[key icon]thief', the speed boosting values [icon][speed they boost] instead of their name. I think it will be clearer what they do if I give them the name of the speed they boost, so in example: [ring icon]Speed, or [robe icon]HP. Or maybe I give them the same icon, depends on the tiles I have left and how much I feel like giving them all a particular icon :)
I have no idea what I will do with the vulnenary and pure water, as they already contain too many chracters (the max to let the game not crash is eight). I managed to bring it back to 8 with squished tiles, but I don't know, especially for pure water (Maybe I can bring it back to seven tiles if I squish the whole item name), if I can also find an appropriate image and can insert it, too.

But for the other items, it works out pretty good till now, I just need to bring everything back to 8 tiles so people can use the storage for all items.
And for the promotion items, I have no idea what icon I should give them.
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html

Blazer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2010, 09:39:48 am »
Hey there. This hack is looking really good so far. Good, quick progress, people who know what they are doing and can do it well.

I'm not much of an NES hacker but in a few months, or several months, or whenever, whenever you might release a patch, I can gladly spread the word around since I keep in contact with almost all of the Fire Emblem forums. "Spreading the word" just means "making topics around forums and updating my site with news of a patch" if it's not done already on a forum. In any case some other people and I are looking forward to the progress of your hack so we'll lurk around and check out on how you're doing.

P.S. Good luck finding a translator. I admit that it's one of the hardest parts of translation hacking, but a good hacker can usually find a couple people to fill in the holes' that s/he can't fill in him/her self.

Aveyn Knight

• View Profile
    • Serenes Forest
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2010, 09:47:09 am »
If you want, I could help with translating stuff that isn't dialogue. All I need is the text (images would be fine as well).

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2010, 10:36:27 am »
Hmm, we only need translators the dialogue and intro. Maybe you want to help with translating the intro? It does not contain too many text. An example:

And thanks for the kind words Blazer! We will eventually find a translator, if someone else will not, then Rai would maybe translate the Shadow Dragon script so it will be translated in any case!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2010, 01:49:38 pm »
I do not support changing the item names, not in the least. Figure out a way to fit the item names the way they are, don't cheat and change them.

Anyway:

Code: [Select]
ソシアル ナイト(S ナイト)

よろいをまとったうまを じざいにあやつり
いどうりょくに すぐれる。
こうげき、しゅびりょく、スピードに もっとも
バランスのとれた ユニットである。
Social Knight (S Knight)

A unit that freely controls armored horses and excels in movement power.
This unit is the most balanced in terms of attack, defense, and speed.

~DS

Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:00 pm »
I do not support changing the item names, not in the least. Figure out a way to fit the item names the way they are, don't cheat and change them.
How do you mean? You mean I should just call it [icon]knight killer? It might be possible for those, but I have no idea how I should do it for Angel Robe and those items, having the icons and full names is very hard there, as it may only be eight characters long to not bug the storage.

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 12:34:16 am »
How do you mean? You mean I should just call it [icon]knight killer? It might be possible for those, but I have no idea how I should do it for Angel Robe and those items, having the icons and full names is very hard there, as it may only be eight characters long to not bug the storage.

I agree with DarknessSavior, please do not change the item names.  Personally, my own preference, I would prefer this:

デビルソード = [Sword Icon]Devil.
てんしのころも = [Robe Icon]Angel.
りゅうのたて = [Dragon Icon]Shield.
ほしのオーブ = [Orb Icon]Star.
スピードリング = [Ring Icon]Speed.
とうぞくのカギ = [Key Icon]Thief.
ブーツ = [Shoe Icon]Boots.

With the promotional items, since it would require you to make five separate icons for them.  If you've run out of space for five individual icons, then maybe you can try to give them one general icon:

ゆうしゃのあかし = [Medal Icon]Hero.
きしのくんしょう = [Medal Icon]Knight.
ひりゅうのむち = [Medal Icon]Dragon.
オリオンのや = [Medal Icon]Orion.
しさいのゆびわ = [Medal Icon]Priest.

But that's only if you've run out of space, then I would imagine that you would have to resort to grouping things together.  I am not that knowledgeable with hacking into the graphics, so I could be incorrect.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:46:38 am by enigmaopoeia »

tummai

• View Profile
    • Tummai Games
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 12:40:03 am »

I agree with DarknessSavior, please do not change the item names.  Personally, my own preference, I would prefer this:

りゅうのたて = [Dragon Icon]Shield.

Wouldn't that be [Shield Icon]Dragon ?

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 12:43:51 am »
Wouldn't that be [Shield Icon]Dragon ?

Yes, you are correct.  But considering the space they would need to make extra icons.

The only time they would need to make a shield icon is for one item:  りゅうのたて [Dragon Shield].
However to make a dragon's face icon, it would be useful for three items:  りゅうのたて [Dragon Shield], ひりゅうのむち [Flying Dragon Whip], and ドラゴンキラー [Dragon Killer].

That's just my personal feelings.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:51:59 am by enigmaopoeia »

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 04:41:47 am »
OK, I'll see what I can do. And would you also like an icon for vulnenary and pure water? I'll first wait for the raw graphics of Celice :)

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MOJ7TQAK

That should be about it, just open with your favorite romhacking graphics editor.  I think I have a few icons I also drew up for a Dragon Quest hack... not nearly as many, but still a few more.  Like a leaf.  I dunno :P  Hope this helps you out~

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27:24 am »
When I open it with Tile Layer Pro, I see this:

This is not how it's supposed to look, is it? Which graphics editor do you use? Then I will use that one, too.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2010, 11:43:36 am »
Change the format.

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2010, 03:02:43 pm »
In TLP Change mode settings from 1 bpp to two bpp.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »
OK thank you ;) It now displays fine.
I won't have much time from today-wednesday as I have school, but from thursday-sunday I have holidays again and more time to work on it.

Does someone here maybe know someone who would maybe like to translate? Since no one's offering it, I'm afraid I have to ask. I find it a bit rude, but it seems like the only way...

edit: the melee weapon-icons are in:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:25:58 pm by Quirino »

Jorgur

• Pursuit lets wisdom ride the wind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:02 pm »
Finally!

I have been hoping for a decent translation of this game for a while now. I wish you the best of luck and hope the project will be finished soon.  ;)

creatorofchaos

• Harbringer of Disorder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »
 I would be willing to help translate and insert the text, if you finished the font for me. Sound good?
Projects:
      - Pokemon Alpha Graphics Restoration(Restarting soon)
      - Pokemon Gold Beta Remake(Planned)
      - RPG Tsukuru Advance Translation (In-Progress)

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:27 pm »
Now, are trying to use the official names? Because S Knight is usually localized as Cavalier.

Besides, it seems that DTE would be the best option for dialogue. Just don't have time to learn how to implement more than 2 letter compression.

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:20 am »
@ Jorgur: Thanks for your kind words, we're working hard on it!

@ Creatorofchaos: Well, we don't really need help inserting the text, we can do that fine :) But can you translate Japanese Kana? If you can, you could translate the script if you want.

Also I mailed Hitomi Shimizu, the translator of the Gaiden game script. She said she might compare the NES and DS script and tell what's different. So if she will do that, we also have the full script translated.

@ Rai: Well, DTE seems fine to me, I don't think it's really required to fit in the full dialogue, as long as it's understandable. And I'll be using the Japanese terms like S Knight and Mamkute instead of Cavalier and Manakete. I just feel like that fits the game better. And shall I send you this rom soon so you can input the DTE in it?

By the way, what do you think of the icons? :D

edit: lol, weeks we've been looking for a translator, and now we have a lot of offers at once! Check this: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20146
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:39:26 am by Quirino »

Aveyn Knight

• View Profile
    • Serenes Forest
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2010, 10:22:29 am »
I can probably just about manage the class roll. I had a quick look through and it seems fairly similar to the FE3 one. If you want, I can attempt some translations later and post them here.

In any case, DarknessSavior seems to have nailed the translation for the Social Knight's entry. I also noticed I had misinterpreted one of the sentences in the FE3 translation - I assumed that the knight was armored and not the horse and didn't look into the sentence properly. I didn't think that horses would wear armor, but what do I know of medieval warfare? : P

I would change DarknessSavior's translation a little bit though:

Freely controls armored horses and excels in mobility.
This unit is the most balanced in terms of attack, defense and speed.