News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation  (Read 83639 times)

Quirino

• View Profile
Fire Emblem (NES) Translation
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »
Hello, I'm also working on a translation on Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu To Hikari No Tsurugi. I found this is the only Fire Emblem game yet without a full translation. I'm planning on doing a playthrough through all the games, and since I can't understand Japanese I need translations.
But anyway, since this game had not a useful (for me) translation yet, I decided to make one myself. It's my first Rom Hacking project, but it's coming along nicely.

Progress log:
Weapons/items translated (100%)
Character names translated (100%)
Enemy Names translated (100%)
Stats/Menus translated (100%)
Intro translated (100%)
Dialogue translated (100%)
Armory, Shop, Secret Shop, Storage and Arena text translated (100%)
Death Quotes translated (100%)
Ending + Credits translated (100%)

Total progress:100%

Releases:
Version 1.0: http://quirino.x10.mx/FE1.zip (direct download)

Special thanks to:
HHHIII (Serenes Forest) - For providing the whole dialogue translation
Artemis251 - For some small translations and tips
VincentASM - For some small translations
Flock of Geese - For bug testing

Known bugs:
-The game is unable to save/load the ingame way solved
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:19:46 pm by Quirino »
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem (NES) Translation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:20 pm »

Pretty good work for one day and for a first project! You should definitely put up a Help
wanted ad here for a script translator. (I'm busy...  :crazy:)
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:21:02 pm »
Thank you :)

I won't need a translator yet, I'll first be translating weapons/items and character names/stats. I think that's the most important to play this game. After that I'll translate the dialogues. I will use the game script for Fire Emblem 3 first book, which has been translated, for a few chapters and for the other chapters I'll be needing a translator. But that's not in the near future I think ;)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:39 am »
Wasn't it already a translation going on ?
I don't remember seeing any patches for FE3 but I'll look for it - I might have missed something.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:01 am »
Thank you :)

I won't need a translator yet, I'll first be translating weapons/items and character names/stats. I think that's the most important to play this game. After that I'll translate the dialogues. I will use the game script for Fire Emblem 3 first book, which has been translated, for a few chapters and for the other chapters I'll be needing a translator. But that's not in the near future I think ;)

I think there was a person who translated Fire Emblem's script and put it up online. Cannot tell you who or where, though. Might wanna take a look around for that?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:15 am »
If you get far enough in the hacking that everything fits (no scrunched names), I might be willing to translate some of the script for you. Or at least, to try.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »
@Bregalad: I couldn't find any translation of this game that's still being worked on.

I haven't done anything for three days now, because I was very busy. This weekend I will try to translate at least all the weapons and item names. I think that might be very well possible if nothing goes wrong.

I have also a request. In my save file, I was not yet done with the entire game, so I can't check if the falcion, miracle and some other later-in-game weapons work well. Does someone have a save file from the later chapters, so I can check them?

Thanks in advance

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:30:38 pm »
Wasn't it already a translation going on ?
I don't remember seeing any patches for FE3 but I'll look for it - I might have missed something.
Technically, I'm still working on it. I just haven't had the time to look up the particulars of how NES ASM works differently from SNES. Maybe I'll do that as one of my summer projects.

Rai is also working on it, and has already gotten a DTE routine working for it.

And there was a patch for FE3 released. About a year ago, I think.

~DS

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »
Damn it, I just found out my rom freezes every time after the chapter where you get Maria and Minerva. Can someone please PM me a link of a working rom. That would be very appreciated.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »
Well it looks that there is already a guy working up to translate FE in this thread : http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10486.0.html

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:30:43 am »
Small update. I tried to learn DTE, however, I don't quite get it. So I decided to go another way: make use of more letters in one tile. Example with Marth (as Marth had only 3 spaces of text):

I don't like it super much, but unless someone will help me with DTE, it's the only solution.

And for the rapier, I know it was fully written in the previous screenshot. But it turned out that I had inserted too much and the result was that another item was missing its first letter.

Does someone maybe know a way to insert longer names besides DTE? As I don't understand how DTE works exactly...

Rolen47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 05:13:17 am »
Hey, this is Rai. Well I sent you up an e-mail as I've worked with this game before. I can tell you all about where the pointers are and stuff. Don't know if you got it yet, but I also told you in the e-mail about how I've already successfully implemented DTE into the game.

Though, don't expect to be able to insert the DS script with just DTE compression. Even with DTE little details might have to be taken out. But yeah, like I said in your e-mail, if you send me your hacked rom or a patch or whatever, I can implement my DTE into FE.

The reason I need your currently hacked rom, is so that I know which characters I can use for DTE. Obviously I can't use the English alphabet, but I can use left over Japanese characters for DTE values.

Also, the pointers for names and stuff, are stored right before them.

Now, having worked with FE before, I can tell you that there's really only one easy way to insert the full item names and that's by making a double line hack. I've experimented with expanding the menu's, but that makes the game glitchy and is just too difficult for me to make work correctly.

The only item name that won't really work with the double line hack, is Armorslayer, but we could split that into Armor Slayer.

I know the double line hack is possible, because KingMike did one for FE before.

Here's an example of what my DTE can do...

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:18:29 am »
The only item name that won't really work with the double line hack, is Armorslayer, but we could split that into Armor Slayer.
or
Code: [Select]
Armor-
 slayer

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Well, the problem with the double-line hack is that it probably bugs the shops. Like in DarknessSavior's translation. But we could always try ofcourse ;) If it turns out fine, I will use it.

My translation rom crashes now right at the start. I probably accidentally changed a HEX value, but I have to use the backup which contains hardly a thing of the translated work. But if the DTE or Double line hack is implanted, I think progress will go faster.

But for the weapon names, if it's not possible to insert the full names, I will just name it Iron S, Devil A etc. People should understand what I mean.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 10:41:30 am »
Well, the problem with the double-line hack is that it probably bugs the shops. Like in DarknessSavior's translation. But we could always try ofcourse ;) If it turns out fine, I will use it.

My translation rom crashes now right at the start. I probably accidentally changed a HEX value, but I have to use the backup which contains hardly a thing of the translated work. But if the DTE or Double line hack is implanted, I think progress will go faster.

But for the weapon names, if it's not possible to insert the full names, I will just name it Iron S, Devil A etc. People should understand what I mean.
Technically, that hack is KingMike's. I just translated the items and inserted them.

I've been thinking about learning how NES ASM works over the summer, see if I can fix it. But if you guys can get enough work done on it (for example, you could probably expand the weapon box so that "Armorslayer" fits), I might just offer to translate for you guys instead.

~DS

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Well once you get your rom fixed up, since me a patch and I'll implement it for you.

I'd also like to know that if you modify pointers, a DTE really doesn't need to be added to the text routine for items and names. It's definitely possible to fit in the full character names by just modifying pointers. A DTE for the item and character name routine is pointless.

And like I said, the pointers for the items and names are right before them.

It's possible to "insert" per se, the whole weapon names by modifying pointers, but there's just not enough space on the menu.

Also once you send me the rom or the patch, send me the script, so I can find the best DTE values.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:44:01 pm by Rai »

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:55:10 pm »
OK, and as for the pointers: I am still learning it, so give me some time please. I still don't know how I can lengthen te text with with pointers and that things. So that will come later.

nd the script, I found on Gamefaqs the script for Fire Emblem 3, book 1. It's a remake of this game. However, it's not exactly the same. This game has more chapters and some other things that are different.

Well, I let you know when I have my rom fixed.
Good news (for me). I understand pointers now and now I could change IL to Iron L

So I think I will have the weapon names in before the end of the weekend!

Woohoo! Pointers are working quite well. I have currently all swords, spears, axes and bows (not catapults) translated! I will translate the other items this afternoon.

edit: All weapons and staves translated. Here's a short notification of what everything means (due to the space of 8 tiles I had to shorten some names):
Spoiler:
... S = ... Sword
... L = ... Lance
... A = ... Axe
... B = ... Bow
Armor K = Armor Killer
Dragon K = Dragon Killer
Thundr S = Thunder Sword
Horse K = Horse Killer
Quick C = Quick Rain (the C means catacpult. I decided to call every catapult just ... C even though no one is called that way. Just deal with it, all right?)
Stone C = Stone Hedge
Fire C = Fire Gun (I could have fitted in the full name, but since all catapults are called ... C, this one will be called ... C as well. Again: deal with it)
Thundr C = Thunder Bolt
... St = ... Stone (it's originally called ... Dragon Stone, but I let out the dragon part to prevent even more confusion)
Vulcano = Vulcannon (:P)
Excalibr = Excaliber  ::)
Starlght = Starlight
M Shield = Magic shield

I could just expand the menu's, but I won't, because I don't know how to... Well, the item names, character and enemy names will be translated as well and then I release a patch for those who are interested...

And when the DTE is implanted and I have found a translator, we can start on the dialogue.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:19:37 am by Quirino »

Aveyn Knight

• View Profile
    • Serenes Forest
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:25 am »
You should try contacting the translator for the Fire Emblem: Gaiden translation, Shimizu Hitomi. I believe their e-mail can be found on GameFAQs if you search for their translation script FAQ.

From what I remember of the Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 translation, the script is fairly minimal and perhaps comparable to the Gaiden script. So maybe Shimizu Hitomi wouldn't mind translating it, if they have time.

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »
I won't ask people to do a job for me. I only take help from people who want to help me voluntary, so I know they want to do it and not because they don't want to deny a request or whatsoever. I first need to wait for the DTE in any case so I can even start on the game script, no word from Rai yet, but I hope I will hear from him soon :)