News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Phantasian Productions New Project – Tales of Destiny 2  (Read 11960 times)

RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Cless

This is the real Tales of Destiny 2 only released in Japan on PlayStation 2, not to be confused with the US Tales of Destiny II for PlayStation 1, which is actually Tales of Eternia. It's been nearly four years since it was released and Namco USA seem intent on leaving it in Japan, so we're stepping up to it.

At this time, I'm in the process of working on a menu patch, or more specifically, all or most of the text in the game's main executable file. It's coming together rather quickly-- I have a complete double byte table already and should very soon have an awesome text dumper thanks to _Bnu.

For now I intend to translate the simple one or two word list things myself but I would really appreciate any volunteer help to handle more long-winded things like item descriptions.

I see it being possible that this could turn into a full localization at some point after doing some more reverse-engineering of the data files. Plus, I've found that the game uses the exact same compression format as Tales of Phantasia PSX, so that's one huge hurdle down.

Relevant Link: (http://www.tales-cless.org/)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Looks like Cless intends to 'Cybergoth' Tales of Destiny II!  ;D

A more in depth reading reveals a hint at Tales of Rebirth as well! :D

However, at Cless' current rate of progress, matching that of most hackers who have moved beyond their school years, a finished translation may be a long ways off.  ;)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Zinc

How's the PSX translation of Tales of Phantasia coming along?

tupou

According to the update on his site, Cless has done all the work that he can do himself.  He's waiting on other people at the moment.

As for how that applies to how it's coming along... well, I don't know.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
According to the update on his site, Cless has done all the work that he can do himself.  He's waiting on other people at the moment.

As for how that applies to how it's coming along... well, I don't know.

Yeah, exactly.

Our main ASM hacker is busy with school, script translator seems to have fallen into the abyss, and utility programmer sold his soul to Korean MMORPGs. I'm beginning to consider replacing the latter two. The latter one really frustrates me though because he knows a lot about the game and has been with us since near the beginning. :/

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
One of the advantages of working alone. The only thing I'm pretty much helpless with is all the requisite Sylvanian knowledge required to complete my translation without being a freakin' hypocrite. (I was originally going to do a straight translation...then it hit me that I loathe translators who don't bother to check the source material. Guilt is one of my motivators. -_-;)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
I found even more text outside of the main executable for Tales of Destiny 2. This is good. :D

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Do you have anything to report on any preliminary looks at Tales of Rebirth? I wonder if that too would share parts of the same game engine or compression engine. That would be cool. Namco was retarded for not bringing all the Tales games here and then pulling a Square and giving us a 'fake' Tales of Destiny II.

Whether or not you ever do anything with Tales of Rebirth, if it has anything in common, that would probably be helpful to anyone who does.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
All I can say is that from what I've seen, Tales of Rebirth is very similar to Tales of Destiny 2, and it seems quite likely it used ToD2's engine as a template. I'd go out to say that it should be pie to hack after getting comfortable with ToD2. But it would probably be helpful if it ran in emulators so I could get some RAM dumps (I don't actually know if it runs in PCSX2 under any setting yet, I haven't tried it). RAM dumps have been insanely helpful when it comes figuring out how the text pointers work.

What's even more ironic is that Namco chose to call Eternia "Destiny II" even while the real Destiny 2 was certainly under development in Japan. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking. Some claim the name change was because of the word Eternia is copyrighted by the He-man people, others have claimed Namco just wanted the series to be known as the "Tales of Destiny" series overseas. But then Tales of Symphonia came out. Blah. I don't know the answer, and the Namco employees that are in touch with the public don't seem like they're allowed to speak of anything regarding titles that haven't made it over, or the name change...

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Thanks for the info. Maybe as the emulators get more advanced and we get better PS2 tools, it'll be easier to handle these PS2 gems.

While we're on the subject of Namco's retardness toward the Tales Series.  How about the fact that they never even realeased the Tales of Symponia PS2 port over here. And then they released Tales of Legendia which must kind of suck because I rarely here anybody talk about it.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Not as good as Symphonia, not by a long shot, and I hear Symphonia is one of the weaker entries, so...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Not as good as Symphonia, not by a long shot, and I hear Symphonia is one of the weaker entries, so...

Symphonia is awesome, at least the GC version. I heard the PS2 version is ported horribly, so maybe THAT  is one of the weaker entries.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
Legendia's the series blacksheep. It was designed by an entirely different team than the two in Tales Studio, and was met with lukewarm response here. I'd say it was decent, but in some ways felt like a generic entry. Didn't really offer any interesting twists to the gameplay

And yes. Honestly, I feel that the PS2 version of Symphonia is awful. Loading times are literally 6-7 seconds to load and end a battle. The framerate also got cut in half (60 to 30FPS... even though sometimes it feels less than 30FPS), which IMO hurt the feel of the game in a big way. The extras weren't worth the technical problems. Though it does work on the PS2 hard drive which brings loading back down the GameCube's levels (2 seconds average).

But it hardly matters. Tales of the Abyss is the game Symphonia aspired to be, from what I can tell. A lot of refinements to the system and additions. Most people who import the series from what I've seen say it's easily the best entry in the series. I only put a few hours into the import because I wanted to see if it would come out in english, and it will be, thank the gods. Symphonia IS my current favorite, because of its gameplay... but I can see Abyss making it completely obsolete.

Unless you're a hardcore Phantasia fan interested in the ancient history of its world... just forget Symphonia and wait for Abyss!

Oh, and on the subject of ToD2. I got my executable file script dumper and am currently translating as much of the items list as I possibly can.

WIP:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:16:13 am by Cless »

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
Symphonia was quite the extrodinary game, the only problem I really had was the voices.  Luckily the designers had a heart and had the option to turn the voices off.  Which really gives the voice over people a hard blow...I think.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Haha

Cless, you're a lamer linking images without permission from your own site. :P Cut and paste doesn't even work with that link/image.

Thankfully you didn't choose goatse like I did with ROMhacking.net when I had my .htaccess rules messed up. ;) That's embarrassing when you harm your own visitors!

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
I KNOW I added romhacking.com to my allowed domains when I posted the news the other day. My htaccess must've gotten rolled back or something. Or maybe I forgot to upload it....

Dammit, the image must've been in my cache when I posted my message. Fixed now.

tupou

.com or .net?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Nice screenshot. :) I like that font. Nice to see things are going smooth and easy. That's always welcome! Hopefully it continues along as such.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
Yeah, we've hit a few snags already but we managed to figure out each one we've come across.

I'm quite graceful that the game's internal half-width font is so nice, despite not having lowercase characters in it. It will do just dandy for a menu translation. Plus we get a generous amount of screen space for just about everything. This game won't need a VWF. Though I would like to figure out how to manipulate the font sizes...

GUTS

Man this is some awesome news, good work man.  I bought ToD2 a while back thinking I would just attempt to play it in Japanese, but it was too much.

I also played Rebirth a bit, it seemed REALLY good.  The main character was a total badass, I hope you can eventually do something with it too even if it's just menu and item translations.