News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 393158 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #880 on: November 12, 2015, 09:15:54 am »
The palettes are based on the originals. I'm open to suggestions if you feel like doing a quick palette edit and posting it.
The C stays as it is the one I made for the CV3 title screen and I want them to match.
The rest of the letters aren't final and I'm going to try to narrow the while thing so I can use the big sprocket holes from CV3, too.

I should mention in case I haven't that I'm making 2 versions of this.
One for vanilla CV1 with colors matching the original as much as possible. (Without the sub-title.)
And another for my old hack.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #881 on: November 12, 2015, 10:13:33 am »
Sorry, didn't even notice it was a custom C.

Palette was just one suggestion, though. Different emulator palettes aside, looking at these, in the original, letter weight, position, juxtoposition of colors, selected details… they all help the surprisingly strong color choice work. The text is primary, as it should be.

In yours, many of your decisions have caused the red box to have drastically higher visual weight than the letters.

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 15, 2015, 12:37:34 pm »
New project, inspired by one of the suggestions in the hack ideas thread.

Is... is there going to be an 8-bit rendition of "Singin' in the rain"?

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 18, 2015, 12:47:18 am »
Shrinking the shield behind the title castlevania may help you keep your "C", but address the issues M-Tee mentioned. See the example below. I moved the Konami logo down some to maintain the symmetry.

EDIT

Original

You may consider making the smaller letters of "astlevania" thicker/bolder.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:08:16 am by Tater Bear »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:53 am »
Thanks, those are some of the changes I'm planning.
I'll have something new up soon.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:51 am »
The new title screen for Castlevania is looking awesome! :D

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #886 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »
Thanks, those are some of the changes I'm planning.
I'll have something new up soon.

Reducing the size of the red could be part of a valid solution, yes. Be aware of tangents though, as Tater Bear's has three up top (the l, and both tips of the v).

The moon and castle look great, though.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:52 am »
Reducing the size of the red could be part of a valid solution, yes. Be aware of tangents though, as Tater Bear's has three up top (the l, and both tips of the v).

The moon and castle look great, though.

Yeah, the red part is not going to be possible to shrink vertically because of the different palettes. May be the bottom row, but I can't have any of that blue in the big C either.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 19, 2015, 09:14:25 pm »
That castlevania title screen is pretty snazzy. Can't wait to see the hack behind it.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #889 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:04 pm »

It's not finished yet, the editor I'm using is buggy and incomplete. The orangy edges of the logo are supposed to move just like in the Japanese titlescreen, but I don't know how I'll do that. Also, I'd like to restore the original background.

Edit: Uploaded Japanese titlescreen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:05:24 pm by Almagest »

the_ally235

• Renaldo wants Georgio dead.
    • View Profile
    • Starmen Forums Account
« Reply #890 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »
Hello. I am from Starmen.net. I made that Redone version of "Radiation's Earthbound Halloween Hack" and in it I used a custom title screen, but I do wonder if it looks like parts of it are a little off, mainly the "RADIATION'S" text at the top looking off-centered. What do you guys think?

Yes. I do know MatPat used it. And it made me happy seeing it in one of his videos.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:51:53 am by the_ally235 »
Earthbound Hacker From Starmen.net

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 27, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Thanks! I did not know about that release. The font used for the story portion of the game looks out of place for the setting (Font looks robotic and makes me think SciFi) and the flow of the narrative seems slightly stilted. I would have used Liangshan Marsh in my translation instead of Mount Liang, as it tied things together better. The original novel had many translated titles (Outlaws of the Marsh, Tale of the Marshes, Men of the Marshes, The Marshes of Mount Liang, All Men Are Brothers, and Water Margin), but unfortunately they picked the ugliest/worst sounding title for their translation  :( .

Edit:
The cover art looks too amateurish to spend $55 on. For example, look at the perspective of the axe in Li Kui's hand. It is in his left hand which is anatomically holding it straight up, yet the blade of the axe is somehow behind the right side of his face. Shi Jin, the "Nine Tattooed Dragons", is missing all his tattoos!!! I would have gladly offered my art skills free of charge to help this game have a professional looking western release.

Post removed to respect Piko's license.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:56:22 am by Tater Bear »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 28, 2016, 11:06:17 am »
Looks like it was also released by SEREGA with much higher quality artwork and at a lower price.
I won't dispute the artwork but in the case of price, are you comparing a legal release to a bootleg publication? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 28, 2016, 11:54:10 am »
Whoops. I thought they were an authorized distributor as it had "Gameclub Serega exclusive Release" and it is basically the exact same release that piko did, but with only an update to the artwork.

Looks like Piko dropped the price of their release, so it is cheaper than Serega's release.

Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »

That moon is going to become an oval on a real TV or on a minimally accurate emulator. The Nes generates a 256x240 picture but the NTSC signal will naturally distort the pixels to create a 4/3 image. That's why Kirby with square pixel is skinny and on a television is round.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 28, 2016, 02:10:00 pm »
That moon is going to become an oval on a real TV or on a minimally accurate emulator. The Nes generates a 256x240 picture but the NTSC signal will naturally distort the pixels to create a 4/3 image. That's why Kirby with square pixel is skinny and on a television is round.

For the Kirby sprite and Chrono Trigger's earth, there are as much if not more circular sprites drawn circular in the game data and showing oval on TVs. And "minimally accurate emulators" (if the lowest standard you have is a post-processing suite as extensive as CRT Royale's TV filters) aren't that many.

There's no "wrong" way to go about it really.
Not to mention that many here aren't repro friendly for many reasons.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #896 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:06 am »
Update:

Hi I really like the design of the castle, I think it gives an aesthetic of mystery is great, about the title I think you should work a little harder on to accompany this aesthetic so cool.

I took the liberty to draw something, I have no idea if it exactly matches the size that you have to draw, it is only to better explain what I mean.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:15:18 am by sics »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 17, 2016, 02:03:06 am »
I like the colors although I was trying to stick to the original palette more or less.
I'll think about this possibility, thanks.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:54 pm »
Hi I really like the design of the castle, I think it gives an aesthetic of mystery is great, about the title I think you should work a little harder on to accompany this aesthetic so cool.

I took the liberty to draw something, I have no idea if it exactly matches the size that you have to draw, it is only to better explain what I mean.

I like that title you made. The colors blend well and it is more faithful to the western logo.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #899 on: April 19, 2016, 07:20:42 am »
I like that title you made. The colors blend well and it is more faithful to the western logo.

I also think that Vanya want to simulate the style used in the first Castlevania title, this is a job is very difficult in itself because all lines must be solid and should place them dealing with the restrictions because the use of multiple pallets.

This is a drawing done in first stay, plus I doubt that can be applied in the game the end result leaves much to be desired.