News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 481506 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #720 on: December 07, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
That is incredibly difficult to read. Either change the background color or the color of the text.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:09 pm »
I have to agree. The design is pretty damn good, but you should really give the title a darker grey fill.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:42:22 pm by Vanya »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #722 on: December 07, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »
Bummer. I was going for an embossed logo and raised text. I'll take another stab at it.

December 07, 2013, 11:20:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I did a few passes, and I'm leaning towards the following one, F:

Here's some other variations:
Spoiler:

I like D, but it lacks color. I also think L and R are strong.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:20:47 pm by M_tee »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 08, 2013, 12:25:20 am »
K-R, the small letters seem to be missing the "shading" to make them look embossed.  Not sure if it's an oversight or intentional.

I like N and O the best, but I like the look of K and Q also.  Gray is a color that hurts the eyes when used in large doses.  TMNT2 is unplayable to me because of how much gray it has.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 08, 2013, 12:49:55 am »

Since you'll be making a graphics rehash, maybe stick to a new palette design. O looks nice & colorful, but R looks solid. Also black background rulez.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 08, 2013, 03:10:03 am »
G for the grey background.
O for the black background.

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 08, 2013, 06:40:10 am »
I'm torn between N and O.  I like the raised effect of N, but the text is hard to read with the white highlight on the darker blue.
I like the light blue and red used in O, but I keep reading the title as "Arp Efence Orce" because the white letters of each word stand out more than the other colors, and my eyes are drawn to those first.

Perhaps you could go with something like this?

It's essentially N with a lighter blue used on the logo. Less contrast between the highlight and main color on the raised text improves legibility.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #727 on: December 25, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »

Title inserted and finished for MrRichard's English translation of Guyver's Russian Translation of Treasures of Elnark.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 25, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »
Very beautiful titlescreen logo M_tee.   :thumbsup:
Too bad I can't say the same about the game.  :P

Also I just released Batsu & Terry.

I rather keep it as "Batsu" instead of "Bats".
Anyone noticed the red tile on top of the screen? IDK how to remove it. The TS is plainly laid but that one tile I can't locate.  :(

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #729 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:33 pm »
I can't say I agree with keeping it as Batsu, as I cringe every time I hear them try to force out the word 'mirakuru' in Arrow, but to each their own.

That being said, I corrected the stray tile in your title screen. I'll PM you an IPS file.

And you're right. Elnark is a painful game to play through. Pretty interesting in concept and story, but with atrocious gameplay.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 25, 2013, 08:57:14 pm »
Those meant-to-be-hidden sprites in the corner of the screen on NES games are often there for "sprite 0 hit" (one of the limited, often crude, ways of timing on the NES).
Chances are, if you did remove it, the game would glitch up.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #731 on: December 25, 2013, 09:09:28 pm »
Interesting. I merely cleared the tile, so it's transparent. Think it'd still cause a problem?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 26, 2013, 12:42:21 am »
Well, in that case....

Just for shits 'n' giggles, here's a list I came up with if I was going to localize the whole NES series from the beginning with River City Ransom in mind:

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun / Renegade ---> River City Renegade
Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu / Super Dodgeball ---> River City High: Dodgeball Club
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari / River City Ransom ---> OK!
Mekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu: Soccer Hen ---> River City High: Soccer squad
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundokai ---> River City Run: Street Sports (sub: "Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet!")
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shuugou! ---> River City Ransom: Kunio's Period Piece (sub: "Assemble Everyone!")
Ike Ike! Mekketsu Hockey-bu: Subette Koronde Dairantou ---> River City High: Hockey Club (sub: "Skate, Fall, Great Free-for-All Brawl!")
Bikkuri Nekketsu Shinkiroku: Harukanaru Kin Medal / Crash 'n' the Boys Street Challenge ---> River City Run: Street Challenge (sub: "New Records and the Distant Gold Medal")
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu ---> River City Rumble: Fighting Legend
Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League ---> River City High: Kunio's Soccer League
Nekketsu! Street Basket: Ganbare Dunk Heroes ---> River City High: Basketball Club (sub: "Keep at it, Dunk Heroes!")

I think i can do better than that

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun / Renegade ---> Kunio and The Fight for Freedom (in reference to the plot of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun)
Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu / Super Dodgeball ---> River City High: Dodgeball Strikers
Mekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu: Soccer Hen ---> River City High: Soccer Elite
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundokai ---> River City Rally: Street Sports (sub: "Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet!")
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shuugou! ---> River City High presents Kunio and the Ancient Might of Honor (sub: "Everyone! Take Your Places!")
Ike Ike! Mekketsu Hockey-bu: Subette Koronde Dairantou ---> River City High: Hockey Club (sub: "Penalty Box!? What Penalty Box?")
Bikkuri Nekketsu Shinkiroku: Harukanaru Kin Medal / Crash 'n' the Boys Street Challenge ---> River City Rally: Street Challenge (sub: "The Destiny For Greatness Gets Greater")
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu ---> River City Brawlers
Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League ---> River City High: Kunio's Soccer League
Nekketsu! Street Basket: Ganbare Dunk Heroes ---> River City High: Street Basketball (sub: "Worries will always follow!")
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:51:32 am by CyberFox »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #733 on: December 26, 2013, 02:46:27 am »
I will continue this conversation of hypothetically theorizing translated titles for the nekketsu series.

I think it's fairly ridiculous to localize the series name, but then not use their localized character names, such as River City and Kunio together.  Either go with River City across the board and Alex and Ryan or Crash n the Boys across the board and Crash. (I actually really dig the localized character names for CntB)

I like the ideas of "River City High" etc, but think the titles would be better simpler, especially without the Speed Racer-sounding subtitles which could totally cramp the title screens.
I would also definitely not use "Hockey Club" as club, at least in American English as a nerdy, extracurricular connotation.

Maybe something like:
  • River City Renegade
  • River City Dodgeball
  • River City Ransom
  • River City Soccer Crew
  • River City Street Rally
  • River City Samurai (Imagining a true localization to this is difficult. Probably if it had been brought to the states, it would have had a full graphics face-lift to Westernize it, and then probably just River City Ransom 2 or something)
  • River City Ice Challenge
  • River City Street Challenge
  • River City Rumble
  • River City Red Card
  • River City Street Dunk

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 26, 2013, 04:57:13 am »
I merely cleared the tile, so it's transparent.

This got hit me an idea! I just turned the original titlescreen tiles into transparent, then that tile speck is now gone! Thanks for the tip M_tee!  :thumbsup:

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 28, 2013, 01:21:59 am »
Regarding the Kunio games localization quirks, I suggest you keep them in spirit of the USA games.  For example, the "street sports" games like the basketball game and the other street challenge game can be given the "Crash and the Boys" moniker.  Because it was intended to be called so, Nekketsu Ice Hockey could be "localized" as "Crash and the Boys Ice Challenge" or whatever it as called.  Games that are interpretation of sports like Dodge Ball or Nintendo World Cup can just be given more generic names.  The Feudal RCR game either would never have been brought over due to how Japanese it is, or it would've been seen as a parody of martial arts flicks, complete with offensive "Engrish", like "Solly fo da bloken waddah", and puns on Asian food.  The "offensive speech", on the other hand, would make the game incredibly difficult to read.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 28, 2013, 02:05:14 am »
Regarding the Kunio games localization quirks, I suggest you keep them in spirit of the USA games.  For example, the "street sports" games like the basketball game and the other street challenge game can be given the "Crash and the Boys" moniker.  Because it was intended to be called so, Nekketsu Ice Hockey could be "localized" as "Crash and the Boys Ice Challenge" or whatever it as called.  Games that are interpretation of sports like Dodge Ball or Nintendo World Cup can just be given more generic names.  The Feudal RCR game either would never have been brought over due to how Japanese it is, or it would've been seen as a parody of martial arts flicks, complete with offensive "Engrish", like "Solly fo da bloken waddah", and puns on Asian food.  The "offensive speech", on the other hand, would make the game incredibly difficult to read.

the Kunio games should have clever names not to mention stay faithful to the Kunio canon with nods to RCR + CntB

Example: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun into Kunio and the Might of Freedom

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 28, 2013, 02:35:41 am »
We're talking about "localizing" these games, and seeing as different companies localized them here in the US, I was going by the same vaguely interconnected theme.

On a side note, Crash is revealed to be called "Crash Cooney" in one of the cutscenes.  Technos USA made a nod to his Kunio name.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 28, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »
We're talking about "localizing" these games, and seeing as different companies localized them here in the US, I was going by the same vaguely interconnected theme.

On a side note, Crash is revealed to be called "Crash Cooney" in one of the cutscenes.  Technos USA made a nod to his Kunio name.

Even so, The idea of uber-americanizing Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shuugou! is a bad idea, Rhythm Heaven Fever and Retro Game Challenge proves that heavy localization hurts the game

If anything, If localized we could fix the game by giving it something it's missing from the famicom original.. a title screen!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #739 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:32 pm »

(Click to Zoom)

Available here.

Been wanting to get some more title screen practice in lately, so I may do more of these titlescreen-only patches and make them available for anyone working on the game. If anyone wants any (NES-only) title screens worked on, feel free to request.