News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 465243 times)

Celice

• View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #620 on: May 20, 2013, 01:42:06 am »
not for me~~~

I don't really remember what the original looks like, but I think the layout has a nice balance between empty and important stuff, and also the color scheme is really nice on the eyes and thematically.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
Here's a little somethin' somethin' that I've been working on. I'm about to submit it real soon.
Just wanted to show off the title screen.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:50:19 pm by Pikachumanson »

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #622 on: May 20, 2013, 05:47:56 pm »
By means of comparison, I added a second version of my Contra hack title screen. The one on the left is more conservative, has all the elements of the original, and the "C" has a more brownish tint. The one in the middle has less elements and the palette used for the "C" is the same as the rest of the Contra logo. The one on the right is the original title screen. Since the 5th demo, I'm quite satisfied with the looks of the two guys...

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #623 on: May 20, 2013, 07:30:22 pm »
I like the first, but keep the silver flare from the second if you can.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 20, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
I like the first one, cause it still has the Konami logo, which I think you should modernize as they use a new logo now. Also, I like the title logo of the second image, so maybe you could merge both.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #625 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:23 am »
MathUser2929:
I don't really get why a retro-Konamigame would need their latest logo...

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »
I guess his train of thought on it was, since the hack is a modern work/using a modern copyright date, why not modernize the company logo to match?  On the other hand, we're talking about an unofficial project, so it kinda doesn't matter either way, I think. ;)
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 21, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »
I still prefer the second one. It has a much more pleasing aesthetic sense in it, to me. The colors are easier on the eyes, and the empty space balances well against the images.

The first image, though it is authentic to the original, is still very cluttered. I can appreciate that aesthetic as being a nostalgic NES style, but in terms of what looks better, I'd go for the second.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #628 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I see good in both of them as well, so I will keep them in reserve until the final release. As for the graphics, it's a little more complicated because the data is compressed, so you cannot edit with complete freedom. A different array of chunks of graphics data is fed to the PPU as needed. So until I decide to make an adapted graphics editor for Contra, they will stay the same. Right now, I am limited to tile layout and palettes...

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »
Well, here is a work in progress shot of a hack I'm playing with. Not sorted yet, but almost there. Ran into some strange addressing issues in the ROM, looking for a work-around before I polish it up.

This is based on Starflight for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Hopefully should make a fun little Mass Effect game!

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 14, 2013, 03:12:16 pm »
I was wondering if anyone good at image editing could help me out. I'm working on a project for SFIII and need an icon made similar to the ones listed below.

The purpose of the icon would need to indicate that a weapon is only available for use by an enemy character. If anyone is interested in helping, here is a blank icon to use as a base.

If anyone would like to offer help, please post back here or send me an IM, thanks!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #631 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:14 am »

Pyron logo and title in progress. Credits to go under exhaust arrows. Feedback welcome.

Also, pikachu, your "devil bros." looks like Deuil bros (french for mourning according to google). I thought it was until I saw the hack submission. I see what you did and understand that the top of the A uses the same slope, but considering if a "u" were to be produced using the same font, it would be identical, increasing the angle of your curves might be beneficial.

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #632 on: July 18, 2013, 08:48:40 am »

Pyron logo and title in progress. Credits to go under exhaust arrows. Feedback welcome.

Also, pikachu, your "devil bros." looks like Deuil bros (french for mourning according to google). I thought it was until I saw the hack submission. I see what you did and understand that the top of the A uses the same slope, but considering if a "u" were to be produced using the same font, it would be identical, increasing the angle of your curves might be beneficial.

Wow. That is really frickin' cool.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 18, 2013, 08:50:10 pm »

I think the concept is really cool--but is that titlescreen really representative of what the Pyron game is like, as a game, as something that is played? To me the title screen you show conveys that the game is about the technical function of some machines, like a blueprint, rather than the action of using these machines to scour a planet.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #634 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:43 am »
@keith
Glad you dig it. Your Baseball Simulator title screen is top notch.

@Celice
Thanks for the input. I agree that the title screen does not portray the gameplay, and I'll definitely keep that in mind when designing the box and cartridge art, which I feel do serve a purpose to do so. My original sketches involved some assorted views of the player on the planet or of the ship crash, etc. However, I felt they were too on-the-nose and the decision I went with is an effort to invoke and focus interest on the flamethrower / jetpack.

I think Megamans 4-6 are some of the strongest title screens for the NES, each depicting a static object (helmet, scarf, planet.) They were definitely the inspiration when designing the title screen, although I wanted to give it a modern, more original, feel. The simplistic colors and diagram approach were inspired by David Aja's outstanding covers on Marvel's recent Hawkeye series.

keithisgood

• View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #635 on: July 22, 2013, 09:13:15 am »
Just a Question, M_Tee: will that title screen feature any sort of animation? I'm imagining it in my head with moving arrows or a flashing block which follows the path of the arrows.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #636 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:03 am »
I think it'd be distracting. Just a flashing cursor is all I planned. Honestly, I think now, the dashed lines are a bit much, but think they may be balanced when the final text goes on.

keithisgood

• View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #637 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:55 pm »
Here's a mock-up of some work I'm doing for this year's Tecmo Super Bowl:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:16:58 am by keithisgood »

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 04, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »
Here's a mock-up of some work I'm doing for this year's Tecmo Super Bowl:

Looking good.

keithisgood

• View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #639 on: August 04, 2013, 03:28:09 pm »
Thanks.
This is what it looks like implemented into the rom:

Cleaned it up a bit and had to shift some of the font b/c of restrictions in the hex.