News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hack: Lufia Decensored  (Read 16416 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hack: Lufia Decensored
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:44:25 pm »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: D

Last month it was pointed out to me that posters on RPGONE’s forums thought the group should retranslate Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, also known as Estpolis Biography, based on the Japanese to English censorship changes I released on GameFAQs.

I've always considered the translation very good aside from some forced NOA censorship and a few creative names--which were often better than the Japanese originals. However, since some people think it's so bad, I threw together a patch to apply my FAQs changes to the game.

This patch changes all the following:

• Character Names: Dios, Erin and Arty are back to normal.
  • Monster Names: Gardios and too many others to count.
  • Censorship: Bars now sell booze instead of cider. Church is run by a priest instead of a grey-haired shemale. Bunny girls kiss the hero on the second floor of Forfeit Isle. The dress is once again a One-Piece swimsuit. All references to death restored in place of gloom. Shop sells Bunny Ears and Bunny Suits.
  • Item Names: Brone to Bronze. Tan to Leather. Carbo to Holy. Might to Ancient. Stuffed Monkey. Rum, Vodka, Gin, Moonshine and Whiskey sold in stores. Lots more.
  • Magic Names: All magic names restored to their original, unintelligible syllables. Have fun figuring out what does what. It’s Phantasy Star IV again!
  • Dialogue: Corrected the Gades in Sheran reference when Lufia first sees Gades so it is no longer Tarzan-speak.

I did not change Forfeit Island to Pawning Place or Sinistrals into "Four Mad Gods" because the English version names sound a million times better. I also did not change Platina and Carbis back to Shaia Labs 1&3 because those would have been too big a hassle.

The patch has been moderately playtested. Please report any bugs that pop up and I'll fix them. There is a slight chance of some spells making the game lock, but I think I fixed all of these.

Staff Note: As always, you can find the patched mirrored here. The archive includes a standard IPS patch as well as a NINJA format patch for those of you who do not like dealing with the problems caused by patching a headerless or interleaved rom.

Relevant Link: (http://www.cinnamonpirate.com/translation/lufia/)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 12:58:05 pm by Neil »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: ROM Hack: Lufia Decensored
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 01:24:20 pm »
If you had changed "Forfeit Island" to "Pawning Place", I would've had every right to eviscerate you for an Edo-tastic translation.

I looked at that "changes" document...can't remember the first part, but just so you know, the suffix "-tou" means an island. Like "Mujintou", "Deserted Island" (literally "no-people island", but I know of only a few who would go that far). In fact, I'm not 100% sure that wasn't the only mistake on that list...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

D

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 01:35:20 pm »
I looked at that "changes" document...can't remember the first part, but just so you know, the suffix "-tou" means an island. Like "Mujintou", "Deserted Island" (literally "no-people island", but I know of only a few who would go that far). In fact, I'm not 100% sure that wasn't the only mistake on that list...

Trust me, there's a lot of mistakes on the list. I found them when I was putting this together. I did that thing several years back and have never updated it. When I went back through now, there were a few things I kind of went "WTF" at.

For example, the names, which were mostly just royal nitpicking and one step away from making a katakanization patch. That's why the only ones I changed were Erim, Daos and Artea. Other ones like King's Sculpture/Royal Statue are just so close in meaning as to not be worth the effort. Most of the monsters were OK though (I think there were two I was unsure about, probably ラットモビル and ピエロのダニエル), and I think I changed a couple spells between that list and this patch. Whenever I hit one of those, I left it alone and didn't change it.

I can't even figure out where the fuck I got "Place" from in that list.

Lastly, what's an "Edo-tastic" translation? Some kind of translation produced in ancient Tokyo?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:40:25 pm by D »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 02:11:39 pm »
I'm referring to Edo's Yu-Gi-Oh! Page, a site where most OCG (Official Card Game, the Japanese version of the "Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG") fans get their translations from. (I may be wrong about "most", but it sure seems that way.)

Problem with Edo is, his translations are full of mistakes...translation errors, romanization errors, even blatant errors made to ferret out people who "steal" his translations and use them without credit.

305 (released in English as the second half of "Dark Crisis") has a couple of my personal "favorites". -_-; "Diskabaado Attack" is "Discovered Attack", a chess term for a check initiated by moving one piece out of another's line of attack. And his "Lair of the Ten Thousand Demon Lords" is a masterpiece of mistranslation and pure idiocy. The original card says "Banmaden - Akuma no Soukutsu", but "Banmaden"-"The Place of All Demons", which should be a clue-is "subtitled" with the katakana "Pandemonium", which is the official English card name. "Akuma no Soukutsu" can also be translated as "The Place of All Demons" (both "Banmaden" and "Akuma no Soukutsu" naturally mean somewhat different things, but seeing how "Pandemonium" comes from "Paradise Lost" to begin with, it's clear to see what the intended context was). I wonder how many people still don't get that one...

Not that the official English names are much better, but sometimes they're accurate enough that using Edo's is plain stupid...doesn't forgive crap like "Fushioh Richie" ("Nosferatu Lich", although the card does use the kanji for "King of the Undead" with "Nosferatu" written above it) or "Dunames Dark Witch" ("Dynamis Valkyria", disfigured by a Find-and-Replace gone wrong), but "Earth Crack" instead of "Fissure" ("Jiware") is just nitpicking...

D

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 08:41:34 pm »
The only thing I can think of that I actually put into the patch that's a huge stretch is "Moonshine." The item was just named Liqueur (リキュール) which is way too generic when the others are all specific like Rum/Vodka/Whiskey. Since the guy who sells it sells it's powerful shit, I just changed it to Moonshine. It's certainly a funnier word than Everlear or Pure Ethanol.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:03:13 am »
Hey, no problem.

In my Sylvanian Families translation, a lot of places have unique names like Usotsuki Mori and Tsurutsuruzaka that unfortunately lend a bit of silliness (beyond the whole "fairies, flowers and furries" motif) to the translation: I've bitten my tongue and put them down as "Fibber Forest" and "Slippery Slope". "Hisohiso Mori" and "Kirakira Ko" are easy: "Whisper Woods" and "Sparkle Lake". But there are two more locales-"Boukenjima" and "Seseragi Kawa"-that I don't refer to by name at all. The former, because it's "Adventure Island" (where the hell is Master Higgins when you need him?) and the latter because the obvious translation is "Babbling Brook". I opt for just "the island" and "the river". -_-;

Items are even worse. I think I had a breakthrough for "Ukiukikona" ("Energetic Powder"): for a while, I had that down as "Fairy Dust", but when I was in "translate the names, dammit!" mode, I invented "Vividust", which is pretty nice IMHO (even though it looks more like "vivid" + "dust" than "vivi/life" + "dust"). That same mode turned "Wakuwaku Camera" ("Excitement Camera") into "HappyCam"...a play off "HandyCam", a brand name of camcorder, but something that I should probably axe from the final translation. "Runrun Jitensha" ("Happy Bicycle") also posed its own interesting problems: for the obvious one, I merely truncated it to "Bicycle", but the less-than-obvious one didn't become apparent until I noticed a topic on sylvanian-families.co.uk's forums (only there for information; I don't collect): checking the item again, I realized the damn thing was a tricycle and I hadn't even noticed.

The list of liberties I've taken with the dialogue would probably be a few pages...one good example would be when you take the sewing machine to Ike for fixing. In the original, he just sets to work and tells you he needs a Chiisa na Nejimaki ("little screwdriver"; "Teeny Driver" in my translation) and some Tsurutsuru Oil ("slippery oil"; "Greasy Grease" in my translation) which he saw on the island a while back. In my version, he comments that the sewing machine is a wreck, that he's honored that your character's mother trusts him to fix it, and that it's his tools that are on the island and that he left them there by accident.

...The things I'll do for this game...it's not even that good, but I'm compelled to see the project through...

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:02:34 am »
Interesting... never knew it was censored
Are we not men?

mil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 12:16:41 pm »
I think I'm the only moron here who didn't get the pun immediately...

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 11:43:32 pm »
"fairies, flowers and furries" motif

... WTF o_O
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 12:00:53 am »
Read the blog and all will become clear.

...Damn, those old screenshots were ugly. How did I put up with that font for so long?

Ultimate

• RPG and Strategy Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 09:36:39 am »
I like "Four Mad Gods" better than "Sinistrals", always through this name sucked...

Sheex

• Go Speed Racer GOOOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 02:06:18 am »
I'll be impressed if Lufia 2 gets fixed. Especially that god awful Equip screen bug. :/

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 02:25:34 am »
Wasn't that fixed in the European version?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 07:07:46 am »

That would certainly explain why I was so surprised when D mentioned this on the IRC channel. I had never heard of this bug before.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 07:24:02 am »
What's this bug?
Are we not men?

D

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 09:44:05 am »
That would certainly explain why I was so surprised when D mentioned this on the IRC channel. I had never heard of this bug before.

I didn't mention it. I hate Lufia II. If the game was mentioned on IRC, I probably just commented that it's a piece of shit.

z01

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 04:12:28 pm »
Oh! This is turning out to be a conversation about Lufia series... erm... Estopolis Denki… Oh, whatever.
I always wanted to ask a few questions, and this gathering of knowledgeable people seems like just the right place to do it. 

Q.1 Are “Estopolis Denki” and “Energy Breaker” connected in some way?
The Energy Breaker is currently being translated and my knowledge of Japanese is close to 0, but I have the game's soundtrack and there’s this one strange thing… a song  named “Pulifia Flowers” (Track #48 by Yasunori Shiono who composed all music for ED I&II). It’s the only song that is composed by Shiono, according to the soundtrack; this song is present in both SNES Lufia games + “pulifia” is mentioned elsewhere in the soundtrack. Um, that’s all clues I have on this one.

Q.2 Are “Estopolis Denki” and “Chaos Seed: Fuusui Kairoki” connected in some way? :)
It’s also about the soundtrack, but not about the names... The thing is, many of the battle themes in this game are remixes of the Lufia battle themes! Maybe it’s just a tribute… Yeah, probably.
Yasunori Shiono is listed as one of the composers for this game.

P.S. I admit to be in love with Shiono’s battle themes… I also admit of being guilty of not completing a single Lufia game -_-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:20:37 pm by z01 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:45 pm »

At least in the US version, when using L and R to swap characters in the equip and status menus, the game won't delete character A's equipment listing from the screen, before placing character B's equipment on top of it. Giving us wonderful item names like "Long swordchuck" :P
Not to mention the capsule monster system was totally fucked up, since the capsule monsters will request rare items (even Dragon Eggs!!) as feedings, whereas they will request shitty items in the Japanese version (that is, stuff you can easily buy in shops).
Not to mention the scrambled graphics in the Submarine Shrine (yeah, that happens if you play the game with a real US (at least) cart, didn't happen when I beat the Japanese ROM).
There was also the Level 0 bug, which Nintendo Power used in a screenshot before revealing the glitch later. (go to the configuration menu, go to Sound Mode, move the cursor to the right option, then back to the left one. The item list should appear in the background. Push A to move the cursor down to it, then back out of the menu. Party member #4 should get their name corrupted, and have super-high stats. Possibly a bug becuase the Japanese menu only had 3 options (text speed. cursor memory on/off, sound mode), whereas the US version had 4 options, because cursor memory was split into battle and camp menu settings).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

D

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 03:47:03 am »
Just found out this patch has two totally busted text windows in Arubus. Also, there's an issue with the monster SwordSpook. I'll try to fix these up and get an updated patch out this weekend. :(

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 03:52:56 am »
I feel your pain.

Just now I discovered that SF1 inexplicably broke after completing the Spring Cleaning minigame. Turns out the faulty routine was the script that handled displaying "School" when you enter a location. Fixed it, but it took me an hour to figure it out.