News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: Geiger's Snes9x Debugger M10R1 released  (Read 11371 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: Geiger's Snes9x Debugger M10R1 released
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

Update By: Geiger

Its been five years.  Time for an update.

From the release notes:

New
  • All log, usage, and dump files are saved to the Log subdirectory (user configurable)
  • Hotkeys for Run, NextOp, StepInto, StepOver, StepOut, and SkipOp
  • All hotkeys are user configurable (hotkey page 5)
  • APU and SA1 now obey TraceOnce and Split
  • SA1 breaks up code blocks and obeys Squelch.
  • SRAM viewable in Hex Editor
  • Register editing

Changed
  • GSD has been integrated into the system changes the 1.51 base uses. This includes directory structures, config files, and other changes.
  • SkipOp no longer reprints the previous line if its the same one being skipped.
  • DMA trace now prints length in hex
  • Breakpoint addresses and the PC register will accept up to eight characters and will filter out common address notation

Fixed
  • Merging usage files caused a crash due to incorrect array sizes
  • Execution breakpoints work for alternate RAM addresses (7E vs 00)
  • Usage maps were saved even if Auto Usage was off
  • Wrong bank for Opcode 4C (JMP)
  • Write breakpoints in PPU operations caused data errors (which frequently caused code to take branches it otherwise wouldn't)
  • Tab stops in breakpoint window

This version is based on the 1.51 codebase.  (Because I apparently live in a cave and didn't know 1.52 had been released.)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://geigercount.net/crypt/index.html)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:06:13 pm by Nightcrawler »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Utilities: Geiger's Snes9x Debugger M10R1 released
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »
And there was much rejoicing!
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

meunierd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:00 pm »
Necro-posting on the front page. :thumbsup:

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »
YES! YES!!!
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:07 pm »

dont know why i got this error

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »
Woot woot! Can you do full memory dump instead of only half in this one?

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:11 pm »

dont know why i got this error

Would be nice if I didn't get the "EPIC FAIL" starting this emulator mesage all over my Monitor! :(
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

Geiger

• View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
If you get some error about the application or side-by-side "configuration", its a brand new type of Hell that Microsoft introduced with VS2005 to replace DLL Hell called Manifest.

What's worse is that they don't seem to keep their redistributables up to date either.  So I've posted the one that comes with Visual Studio up to my website.  http://geigercount.net/crypt/vcredist_x86.exe

This has resolved the problem for at least one person, hopefully it works for the rest of you as well.
This is the patent age of new inventions -/- For killing bodies, and for saving souls, -/- All propagated with the best intentions. --Lord Byron

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32:25 pm »
If you get some error about the application or side-by-side "configuration", its a brand new type of Hell that Microsoft introduced with VS2005 to replace DLL Hell called Manifest.

What's worse is that they don't seem to keep their redistributables up to date either.  So I've posted the one that comes with Visual Studio up to my website.  http://geigercount.net/crypt/vcredist_x86.exe

This has resolved the problem for at least one person, hopefully it works for the rest of you as well.

Thanks bro! That did the trick.
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:27:55 pm »
I see it says it will breakpoint on execution in RAM mirrors.
I take it that it will now consider RAM mirrors on read/write breakpoints? If so, that's great.
Tab stops too? That is possibly the thing I'm most excited to hear (uneven tab stops in the trace logs was enough of a problem for me to keep using version 8, and V8 had issues in several games that forced me to play with VERY messed-up palettes)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:34:07 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »
I'm liking what I've seen so far, and an annoying bug from the previous one is gone. :)

I did notice one thing - In some cases Read/Write breakpoints seem to be off.

In Chrono Trigger, setting a read breakpoint on FF0000 (start of menu portrait data) and opening the menu does nothing. Setting a write breakpoint, however, stops it like it should.
Mauron wuz here.

Geiger

• View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:34 am »
Can you do full memory dump instead of only half in this one?

I don't know offhand.  Probably not.  I usually try not to broach banks because of the way mapping works, but I can try to look into.

Tab stops too?

Perhaps the wrong term.  Tab Order.

uneven tab stops in the trace logs was enough of a problem for me to keep using version 8

I don't think you understand what a tab-delimited file is.  Turn that feature off and it should go back to regular spacing.  As far back as there's been a debugger (and maybe before).

In Chrono Trigger, setting a read breakpoint on FF0000 (start of menu portrait data) and opening the menu does nothing. Setting a write breakpoint, however, stops it like it should.

A lot of stuff was changed in the 1.51 codebase.  Some so radically that I had to make educated guesses as to what it meant and how it would effect my debug code.

Does a DMA transfer occur there?  I may be interpreting the flag for it incorrectly.  Previously it was called something like TransferDirection.  Now its called ReverseTransfer.  (So which direction does the Snes9x team consider "reverse"?  Why did some guy decide that needed to be changed?  Why do they use variable types as variable names?  Why is everything a jungle of #defines?  Why does no one who ever works on this project seem to know what a proper coding style, class, enumeration, inheritance, code reuse, or even a freakin' whitespace is?  BLARGH!) :banghead:

But I digress...
This is the patent age of new inventions -/- For killing bodies, and for saving souls, -/- All propagated with the best intentions. --Lord Byron

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:28 pm »
Does a DMA transfer occur there?

Yes.
Mauron wuz here.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:00:24 am »
Still no read/write breakpoints for VRAM? :(
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »
OH MY GOD!! AT LEAST!!

I have been waiting for these for years!!! I am totally used to the interface and now there is an update, I won't change to another debugger XD

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »
Why does no one who ever works on this project seem to know what a proper coding style, class, enumeration, inheritance, code reuse, or even a freakin' whitespace is?  BLARGH!) :banghead:

It's a good question, and sadly it's quite a common occurrence. Quick and dirty over reusable and well thought out. Also, I guess they've never been chewed out over "lack of readability", like many of us have in our lifetime (usually people do it for job security, lol).  :(

Speaking of that VS 05 problem, they seemed to have screwed stuff up in VS '08 as well. Namely my OpenGL (w/ GLUT) programming, I find that I can't even compile a blank 2D screen because they screwed up the libraries and it can't find a bunch of .dll files that exist because it's using an older version (or older path, anyway) to look 'em up, and it doesn't want to let me force it to look for them. Also, it keeps screwing up the manifest file for it, too. They really screwed the pooch with Visual C++. :banghead:

And they are of no help to remedy the problem, and there's been 4 different fixes for it, and it only has helped probably half of the people. But, I digress...

Oh! Great program, by the way. I am very excited to use it.  :D