News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dragon Quest 5 for PS2 now in English!  (Read 38180 times)

gukid

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Dragon Quest 5 for PS2 now in English!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 01:08:38 am »
Nice work guys!  Was gonna just test it out tonight, ended up playing a few hours.  Really professional looking.

I had a question, if anyone knows, about the differences between the DW and DQ patches.  I applied the DW version, and it has "Wyvern Wings" instead of "Chimera Wings" which is correct, but it also has "Medicinal Herb" instead of "Medical Herb", "Antidotal Herb" instead of "Antidote Herb", "Dracky" instead of "Drakee"...  I'm pretty sure I applied the right patch, but maybe it's only the spells and some of the items and monsters that are classic style?  Not to complain or anything, but I'm kind of an obsessive purist... (still haven't touched DQ8).

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:43 am »
Yes, it's only some of them. Not all Dragon Warrior games use "Drakee" and most didn't use Medical Herb simply because there wasn't enough room back in the day. So it's kind of a balance that we went for. Using the DW version for it if we felt that it wasn't changed due to constraints or lack of space.

If you go here:
http://ww2.0wnag3.biz:82/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

You can click the items or monsters page. You'll see that anything that looks like...
[Heavenly:Zenithian] Sword

Is the format we used for putting both styles on the same page.

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:46 am »
That makes sense.  Medicinal Herb is also more correct anyway, so it's really an okay change.  Plus now that I see that you've got Babbles and Wyverns in there, I'm quite happy :)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 09:54:49 am »
HOLY SHIT!!!! Now this is what i call awesome  :thumbsup:
I'm glad i didn't play DQ5 on my DS yet,playing it on my ps2 will be perfect!!!  :beer:

I beat DQV twice already- for the SNES (PSP emulator) and for the DS (actual cart). I've been aching for another DQ and while I'm already playing DQIX, I'd rather play something on a console. The added bonus of this is that my sister can watch now, so she can also get in on the DQ action (she likes watching me play but dislikes playing herself)!

So, I say, play the DS version anyway. It won't feel the same way as the SNES or possibly the PS2 versions and if you have long amount of time away from home but with free time, it can keep your interest in the game up (I dressed my characters up like the DQ8 party to remind me that I have DQ8 at home).

Forgot to mention that I'll be applying the DQ patch :P In some ways, it feels a bit more close to the Japanese's Hyado (Crackle or Icebolt) and Mera (Fizz or Fire...bane?) names, plus some names are more accurate now (while some are... Hmmm........ >_>)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »
The SNES version is one of my favourite games.  I've played through it twice, and look forward to going a third round with this new version!
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:59 pm »
I just played through the intro and saved at the first church you come across. To be honest, now being able to play it, I actually prefer the DS version after all. It has nothing to do with the translation however- it's not bad (although, to me, it feels a bit bland; but maybe I've just gotten too used to Square-Enix's accents. At least Sancho doesn't like a Spanish reject).

I just wish Arte Piazza would've looked at making this game less like the SNES version with Dragon Quest VII advances, and more on trying to make it truly breath. The graphical style that is used in the DS version fits due to the console and what one expects from the console, however, the PS2 version disappointed me in this regard. I was expecting an ugly version of VIII and instead I got a pretty version of VII. I guess I was expecting too much from Arte Piazza (shoulda gone to Level 5... but then again, they WERE working on VIII). This does not have anything to do with the translation however so meh :P Moot point here, haha.

On a closing note, I love the font used (in the DQ version, dunno about the DW version, but I imagine them to be the same). They're big and easy to read. They don't assume that I'm right in front of my TV or that I'm playing on an HD TV. They do their job and they do it exceptionally well. I also like how professional everything seems. I used hope I'm not bombarded with F-bombs later on...

TL;DR: Like the translation, disappointed at actual game.

I'll probably keep playing, though. Nothing can kill the story this game has.
Who will quote me next?

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 09:17:13 pm »
I've always loved the way DQ5 PS2 looks.  Everything is so smooth and colorful.  As pretty as DQ8 is, I don't think that style would have suited DQ5 at all.  Now, DQ6 on the other hand... that would have really benefited from DQ8's style.  Too bad it's getting gypped on its first remake.  It gets to look like 4 other games.

dq5r

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:42 pm »
I just played through the intro and saved at the first church you come across. To be honest, now being able to play it, I actually prefer the DS version after all. It has nothing to do with the translation however- it's not bad (although, to me, it feels a bit bland; but maybe I've just gotten too used to Square-Enix's accents. At least Sancho doesn't like a Spanish reject).

I just wish Arte Piazza would've looked at making this game less like the SNES version with Dragon Quest VII advances, and more on trying to make it truly breath. The graphical style that is used in the DS version fits due to the console and what one expects from the console, however, the PS2 version disappointed me in this regard. I was expecting an ugly version of VIII and instead I got a pretty version of VII. I guess I was expecting too much from Arte Piazza (shoulda gone to Level 5... but then again, they WERE working on VIII). This does not have anything to do with the translation however so meh :P Moot point here, haha.

On a closing note, I love the font used (in the DQ version, dunno about the DW version, but I imagine them to be the same). They're big and easy to read. They don't assume that I'm right in front of my TV or that I'm playing on an HD TV. They do their job and they do it exceptionally well. I also like how professional everything seems. I used hope I'm not bombarded with F-bombs later on...

TL;DR: Like the translation, disappointed at actual game.

I'll probably keep playing, though. Nothing can kill the story this game has.

There are more accents later.  Bianca has an accent.  But yeah, a lot less changes just for the sake of change.

Oh and hi Aeana.  Dwaine over at http://www.dqshrine.com/ was trying to get ahold of ya.  Donno if he has an old address or what.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »
I had a question.  My brother is using the latest beta version of PCSX2.  Before patching, the game works fine, but after, he has no sound for the game.  What plug-in were you guys using when testing this?  If it's an uncommon one, can you post where to get it or an upload of it?

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »
There are more accents later.  Bianca has an accent.  But yeah, a lot less changes just for the sake of change.

Oh and hi Aeana.  Dwaine over at http://www.dqshrine.com/ was trying to get ahold of ya.  Donno if he has an old address or what.
Oh. hoimi.us is defunct, so any e-mail sent there will bounce.  If he still wants to get a hold of me, a PM here would be fine.

CapnCrunch

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 04:04:27 am »
How is this working in PCSX2?  I have a pretty decent PC... not state of the art but pretty good.  I was wondering how the performance was or if there are any emulation issues and whether it was even worth bothering with...

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 05:32:33 am »
So, I say, play the DS version anyway. It won't feel the same way as the SNES or possibly the PS2 versions and if you have long amount of time away from home but with free time, it can keep your interest in the game up (I dressed my characters up like the DQ8 party to remind me that I have DQ8 at home).

man,my university exams are killing a big time of me,so I'm just playing a RPG once,and if it is available on home consoles,i always prefer that version.My joypad in my hand with glass of coke and cookies in front of the TV.I really love that  :beer:
So i just finished "DS only" RPGs on my DS yet.And i have a question.DQ8 was really awesome,has DQ5 have voiceovers also?

dq5r

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:19 am »

man,my university exams are killing a big time of me,so I'm just playing a RPG once,and if it is available on home consoles,i always prefer that version.My joypad in my hand with glass of coke and cookies in front of the TV.I really love that  :beer:
So i just finished "DS only" RPGs on my DS yet.And i have a question.DQ8 was really awesome,has DQ5 have voiceovers also?

No voice overs, but TONS of party chat. That's part of the reason the project took us 5 yearish to finish.

One of the biggest pluses for the PS2 version (well besides the sound and graphics) is that we didn't censor the script. Some of the dialogue is definitely not E for everyone. :)

Dwaine

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 09:57:14 am »
(although, to me, it feels a bit bland; but maybe I've just gotten too used to Square-Enix's accents. At least Sancho doesn't like a Spanish reject).

Keep playing. The game itself is a little bland at the beginning. There are accents, but we don't beat you over the head with them. We were going for a happy medium between the old and the new. Instead of a heavy accent, we added characterization with what they're saying, rather than how. I think our Gema is nastier and manic to match his character animation. You don't really perceive him as a threat with that goofy European dialect.

Oh, and please use the party chat... Please!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
Haha, well, I haven't anyone in my party yet. Am I right to assume that you just select "talk" from the menu?

To be honest, I don't think I've ever gotten to any character in DQ and just said "wow, this guy's gonna be hard". Usually, I have no opinion until the first attack where I will either get beaten down or laugh.
Who will quote me next?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »
How is this working in PCSX2?  I have a pretty decent PC... not state of the art but pretty good.  I was wondering how the performance was or if there are any emulation issues and whether it was even worth bothering with...
It runs pretty fluent on my brother's computer.  I think that if you can run the Itadaki Street Special game, you could pull this one off... for no real reason other than conjecture :/

b1aCkDeA7h

• AH HA! Just as I suspected...THIRTY-TWO flavors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 01:37:26 am »
I noticed that Borongo's name glitches out when he rejoins the party. A weird mix of Japanese and gibberish characters. It fixed itself once he had dialogue (couldn't get him to party chat but he growled at a townsperson).

dq5r

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 09:03:18 am »
I noticed that Borongo's name glitches out when he rejoins the party. A weird mix of Japanese and gibberish characters. It fixed itself once he had dialogue (couldn't get him to party chat but he growled at a townsperson).

Whoops.  I'll get right on fixing that.  You can find the current hotfixes on DQtranslations.com

January 28, 2010, 01:44:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Ok made a fix.  For some reason Borongo's name isn't copied into the proper buffer until after you get Papa's sword. Wrote a routine to fix that.

Ok tested and put in the hotfix batch over on DQtranslations.com

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:59:30 pm by dq5r »

Stabwound

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 12:32:53 pm »
Is this at all different from the DS version, as in gameplay stuff? I'm sorry if this was already asked.

Dwaine

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 11:19:38 pm »
The battles mostly stay the same. Even though the world map is the same, it's in 3D, which gives you more depth and exploration. Some of the maps are different. The mountain path to Granvania and the Demon World have you going up, down, 'n around while the DS reverted back to the Super Famicom maps. There is no Deborah. The DS also has a couple more monsters to catch. The only one really worth the trouble is the Archdemon.